Search found 123 matches

Return

by UltimateVUFan
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:22 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

A little encouragement from MFD: "Everybody needs to relax.. we lost a couple dudes who don’t play, two 6’5 power forwards, an engineer who played basketball on the side & got a better shooting Tyrin in the portal already… just let the roster fill out" I mean…all well and good I suppo...
by Labradore
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:36 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEC contemplating much harsher penalties for storming the field/court

The fact that other conferences allow storming of the court / field would suggest this is an unnecessary, or at least arguable policy. The fact that the offense may be carried out by opposing fans is all the more ridiculous. Having stormed a court or two in my day, this rule strikes me as silly.
by AuricGoldfinger
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:50 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's hard to know who or what to blame. Heck, every one of these transfers could represent unique individual circumstances. Malik Dia and Noah Shelby obviously didn't leave for NIL opportunities at Belmont and Rice, respectively. Neither did QMB or Trey Thomas, and I kind of doubt Myles Stute left f...
by cjdore
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:54 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Let's see now

Portal is really exhausting my love of college basketball!!!
by AuricGoldfinger
Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:36 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I Absolutely Hate the Transfer Portal and the NIL

The implications are bad enough for Vandy. But just as bad is that with the exception of the tournament, college basketball is on the verge of becoming a niche regional sport. Fans will still tune in to watch March Madness and the legacy national brands, but I doubt the sport will ever be as popular...
by commadore
Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:12 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CB Ja'Dais Richard in the portal

Like the rest of the portal hoppers, I wish him nothing but the worst. Hope he gets stuck on the sideline watching other better players play or he plays for a D2 team
by dore74
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:58 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I Absolutely Hate the Transfer Portal and the NIL

I hope that our school and others in the same boat, Northwestern, Duke etc. get together to figure out how to deal in this new world. I would think that these schools would have many of the same issues that we do (maybe not Duke hoops for historical reasons). Maybe it would only be a "geeze wha...
by Ndorefin
Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I believe Lawrence is the only one who could draw decent NIL money from another school. Wright may get some, but, he’s a grad transfer who’s going home….I don’t blame him, but I doubt NIL was the motivating factor on its own. I also believe Lawrence needs the money and has been recruited before he h...
by Vandy187187
Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:49 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Honestly, there is no difference in these athletes and everyone else in their generation. They want a job where they can work from home, start at $75 an hour, play with the cat and watch some tv during work hours. If someone pushes back, they quit and sit at home collecting their unemployment until...
by egbertsouse
Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trey Thomas in the portal

It is baffling. Puzzling indeed - wish him well. Clearly there is a lot we don't know and will never know. I don't think it is that baffling at all. My best guess is that he was told that his PT was going to be reduced, and he thought he could do better so he entered the portal and found out quickl...
by dorelover82
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:49 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The question have is why would Rockhurst spend $300,000,000 to further pamper unsuccessful athletes that only leave the minute they reach any level of success. The whole thing is broken. Count me out when it comes to this crazy new system.
by vandy05
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:35 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trey Thomas in the portal

The only narrative that makes sense to me is that he went to the portal with some pretty loft expectations on where he would land, perhaps thinking there might be a place for him at another top 20 academic institution where he'd finish his education and play more. My guess is that the phone didn't ...
by Ndorefin
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I’m resigned to the fact the NIL was inevitable and I don’t think it’s all bad. I wonder, after a few years, when some of these funds showered on athletes turn out to be a bad investment. Everything is new, at the present time, and the money is pouring in. Eventually some of these contributors will ...
by rEvUrB
Tue May 02, 2023 7:26 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vandy’s actual approach to NIL

Sounds like you better get used to Vanderbilt being a farm team for the rest of the conference.

I’m sure we’re not alone here. Colllege sports is about to be boiled down to a handful of haves pretty soon, more so than it is already.

Feels like the beginning of the end of major college sports.
by Jason94
Tue May 02, 2023 1:34 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bigs

roanoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:13 pm We need to go get Grant Nelson. Now.

Let Robbins host him.

We need a real big - and then we can build off last year.
I imagine he'll be in very high demand, but his addition would immediately elevate our chances for making the tournament. No brainer.
by UltimateVUFan
Tue May 02, 2023 7:19 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bigs

Here is Aziz Bandaogo: https://twitter.com/theportalreport/status/1653174928361889795?s=46&t=D49ntLmhyQvPB4ctPmX7WQ 7 footer from Utah valley that averaged 11 pts, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game That one. Sign that one. That interest list - if accurate - says all we need to know. EDIT: Also...
by UltimateVUFan
Wed May 03, 2023 2:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tyrin Lawrence

Agreed. Auburn. Gimme a break. I hate the notion that he is playing against VU and for Pearl, who is unsavory in my eyes when it comes to doing things the right way. Stinks of shady poaching and sours my view of Lawrence, to boot.
by commadore
Wed May 03, 2023 8:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-basketballs-10-takes-Hunter-Dickinson-adds-to-villain-status-Auburn-on-verge-of-splash-big-gambles-209384795/ From this article: “Add Lawrence to a Tigers backcourt of Jones, five-star Aden Holloway, K.D. Johnson and Tre Donaldson, and suddenly, Pearl h...
by commadore
Thu May 04, 2023 7:54 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wish Stac would make a statement about all this. I'd like to know how he feels about all his best buddy players abandoning the team, the program, and him.
by roanoke
Fri May 05, 2023 12:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Expectations from here

I hesitate to post this here at the cusp of a very hard stretch of schedule: But the goal and expectation of this team should be to win the World Series in Omaha. It’s easy to say that the sky is falling - and it may darken considerably, but we have the best batting average and fielding average in t...