Congrats to the Golden Eagles

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

Congrats to the Golden Eagles

Post by DS2001 »

What a great win for Tech and the city of Cookeville. I knew when they beat us as part of that tremendous win streak, they had something special this year. I hope they make it to Omaha.

VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Re: Congrats to the Golden Eagles

Post by VanDSIRROM »

DS2001 wrote:What a great win for Tech and the city of Cookeville. I knew when they beat us as part of that tremendous win streak, they had something special this year. I hope they make it to Omaha.
DITTO
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
StarTraveler
Commander

Post by StarTraveler »

My father has been a Vandy fan all of his life and got me interested in Vandy sports in the early 70s when we moved back to Tennessee, years before I attended. However, he graduated from Tennessee Tech (and my mom attended for a couple of years). He was really happy that Vandy was in the Regional but I also noted pride in his voice when he mentioned how well Tech was doing this year and going to their Regional, too. I’m looking forward to talking to him tomorrow after their win and advancement tonight. Congratulations to the Golden Eagles.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

That is awesome. My dad is a TTU grad, and I went there for three years before finishing at Austin Peay.

I love the OVC, and it is terrific that Tech is the first OVC team to ever reach the Super Regionals. Congrats!
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

I sat through a miserable, wet game against them last year. They're legit.
JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by JWCommodore »

Congrats to TTU, great for their program. It would be pretty awesome to meet them again soon ;)
ANCHORDOWN1
Rear Admiral

Post by ANCHORDOWN1 »

I think they have a very good shot of beating Texas and going to Omaha.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

They are flat out good. We knew they could mash all day long, but they won two pitchers duels in a 24 hour span to get through. Let's be honest- they were the best team in the state all year.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Commodoredave wrote:They are flat out good. We knew they could mash all day long, but they won two pitchers duels in a 24 hour span to get through. Let's be honest- they were the best team in the state all year.
Best of luck to the Golden Eagles. Have no ties to Tech except have sat it their football stadium for state football championship games and love Cookeville.
sidewalkdore
Commander

Post by sidewalkdore »

I'm a grad as is my son....many memories from Cookeville, hope they take care of Tx. that would be so sweet!
sterllingfan
Commander

Post by sterllingfan »

I graduated from Tech and have been a lifelong Vandy fan. Would love to see them face each other in the World Series finals!
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

sterllingfan wrote:I graduated from Tech and have been a lifelong Vandy fan. Would love to see them face each other in the World Series finals!
And, pray tell, whom would you hope would win? :o
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

VanDSIRROM wrote:
sterllingfan wrote:I graduated from Tech and have been a lifelong Vandy fan. Would love to see them face each other in the World Series finals!
I have the identical story as Sterlling. Which would I pull for? I don't know; however, I'm positive I would be very happy with the results regardless.

My freshman year was All-American and future longtime NFL linebacker Jim Youngblood's senior year. Before being drafted by the Rams, Youngblood played baseball in his final spring at Tech. Though I'm sure my memory must be playing tricks on me, to the best of my recollection all he did was pinch hit (before the DH rule) and he either struck out or homered in every at bat, something like 15-20 Ks and 7-8 HRs. I've looked on line for verification, but can't find anything.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

Levon wrote:
VanDSIRROM wrote:
I have the identical story as Sterlling. Which would I pull for? I don't know; however, I'm positive I would be very happy with the results regardless.

My freshman year was All-American and future longtime NFL linebacker Jim Youngblood's senior year. Before being drafted by the Rams, Youngblood played baseball in his final spring at Tech. Though I'm sure my memory must be playing tricks on me, to the best of my recollection all he did was pinch hit (before the DH rule) and he either struck out or homered in every at bat, something like 15-20 Ks and 7-8 HRs. I've looked on line for verification, but can't find anything.

God answer...thanks.

@AD @AD @AD @AD
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

VanDSIRROM wrote:
Levon wrote:
VanDSIRROM wrote:

God answer...thanks.
It was good, but not that inspired.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

nyyankeeDore wrote:
VanDSIRROM wrote:
Levon wrote:

God answer...thanks.
:)
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

Levon wrote:
nyyankeeDore wrote:
VanDSIRROM wrote:

God answer...thanks.
:)
I have to admit, if had been that inspired we may not have even understood it! :roll:

@AD @AD @AD @AD
wbl
Rear Admiral

Post by wbl »

Hey Levon remind me when Youngblood played...I grew up in Cookeville and remember him...also remember durable and unstoppable tailback Larry Schreiber...enjoyed TTU sports but attended Vandy and now bleed black and gold! But I will cheer for the Golden Eagles until we play them.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

wbl wrote:Hey Levon remind me when Youngblood played...I grew up in Cookeville and remember him...also remember durable and unstoppable tailback Larry Schreiber...enjoyed TTU sports but attended Vandy and now bleed black and gold! But I will cheer for the Golden Eagles until we play them.
wbl...
Youngblood played from 69-72, led Tech to one of their very few OVC titles in 72. Schreiber was a stud too. As I recall he rushed for over 4000 yards at Tech and then played 5-6 years with the 49ers & Bears. There was another guy there from 71-74 named Elois Grooms, a defensive lineman who played several years with the Saints and Cardinals. I knew Grooms a little bit; big, quiet, nice guy, but he looked meaner than hell. And he could clearly play. Did you ever go the John's? Still there, been named a National Historic Site. Amazing, huh?
sterllingfan
Commander

Post by sterllingfan »

VanDSIRROM wrote:
I'm with Levon. I'm not sure who I would pull for, but would be excited with the outcome either way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic