tickets
vucommodores link by sport
forum
FTB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
MBB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
WBB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
BAS_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_

Nashville Mayoral Race

For non-Vanderbilt sports discussion including but not limited to politics, science, the arts, travel, technology, entertainment, food & drink and more.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

VandyWhit
Site Admin

Nashville Mayoral Race

Postby VandyWhit » Thu May 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Early voting ends this week, election day next week, and I still haven't decided who I'm going to vote for. Any insights?

Titans309fan

Re: Nashville Mayoral Race

Postby Titans309fan » Fri May 18, 2018 9:27 am

I voted for Briley yesterday after the Preds endorsed him. ;)

In all seriousness, I did vote for Briley. He is continuing what Megan was trying to accomplish, though with much less fanfare. Some of these candidates are out to kill pro soccer in Nashville, and I think that would hurt the reputation of the city.

I do think that there will be a run off between Briley and Swain in the end. Swain will be the champion for all the Trump supporters, though I can't imagine a worse candidate for a diverse city like Nashville.

EllistonVU

Postby EllistonVU » Sat May 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Mayor Briley said he would not allow Centennial Park to become a "hippie haven."

Oops! Wrong Mayor Briley. My bad.

BelleVUe

Postby BelleVUe » Thu May 24, 2018 8:06 am

Mr. Elliston--that was very funny. I remember the first Mr. Briley. Too bad he didn't say he would refuse to allow public officials to drive while drunk.

I voted early, and I voted for Carol Swain, a former Vanderbilt University professor. The Mayoral race is "cough cough" non-partisan, and my take is that Swain would not be the GOP's choice, while most of the others would be considered.

I would love to see the city of Nashville elect its first African-American Mayor and then have it be a female that keeps her skirt on during the work day.

How many of you reading this have a Megan Barry experience? When we came to Nashville last summer to start looking for our retirement dream house, we accompanied friends to the 12 South Farmer's Market. Her honor was there. She was dressed totally inappropriate for the leader of the city, and we didn't even know who she was until after she was outside of earshot. She took a lot of selfies with the vendors, and she was a little too touchy-feely with the male vendors. There was a food truck by the name of "Young Hickory," and the Mayor was all over this guy, as he was quite handsome and virile-looking.

Just after we moved here for real, we went to the Farmer's Market at Richland Park, at about the time she was in purgatory just before resigning. One of the couples visiting a booth to pick up eggs and milk were talking with the vendor, and my wife told them about our experience at 12 South. The vendor then proceeded to show us a picture on his phone where the Mayor in a very high pantsuit, exposing a good 6-8 inches above her knees, had her arm around his neck with her hand caressing him much like a girlfriend would do with her boyfriend on a park bench.

If you vote today, vote for anybody other than Briley. At least if there is a run-off, it will give the people a chance to choose between 2 rather than half the population of the city. Briley will most likely win any way, but at least give someone else a chance to present a different view for the future of the city.

If you opposed the transit issue, then make sure when you vote you realize that Briley was 100% in favor of the deal, and most of the others were totally against it.

Titans309fan

Postby Titans309fan » Thu May 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Briley gets 56% of the early vote, which is a great sign. Hopefully he can avoid a runoff.

Swain is in second with 23%.

Titans309fan

Congrats, Mayor Briley!

Postby Titans309fan » Thu May 24, 2018 8:13 pm

He has been declared the winner with 55% of the vote and 84% reporting in.

It looks like around 80,000 Nashvillians voted, which is significantly less than the 110,000 that voted in the 2015 runoff election between Barry and Fox.
Last edited by Titans309fan on Thu May 24, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VANDFAN

Postby VANDFAN » Thu May 24, 2018 8:33 pm

I just do not understand conservatives beyond them being bomb throwers. I worked the election today in a rural white precinct northern Davidison County and 165 voted. Swain won 69-57 over Briley. These same people who hated BO because of race were voting for a black woman. Many would not vote for the Virgin Mary because she's a foreign woman.

geeznotagain

Postby geeznotagain » Thu May 24, 2018 8:50 pm

VANDFAN wrote:I just do not understand conservatives beyond them being bomb throwers. I worked the election today in a rural white precinct northern Davidison County and 165 voted. Swain won 69-57 over Briley. These same people who hated BO because of race were voting for a black woman. Many would not vote for the Virgin Mary because she's a foreign woman.

I appreciate the sentiment. Nice talking to you. Don't look too closely, but you might have a neighbor or even (gasp) a family member who is a damn conservative. They exist. Some throw bombs, some don't. It helps to know the difference, by the way. But if you can't, just say to hell with all of them. That's probably what they say about liberals. And that has worked well for the country lately, hasn't it? Keep up the good work.

Nashmann

Postby Nashmann » Thu May 24, 2018 11:09 pm

VANDFAN wrote:I just do not understand conservatives beyond them being bomb throwers. I worked the election today in a rural white precinct northern Davidison County and 165 voted. Swain won 69-57 over Briley. These same people who hated BO because of race were voting for a black woman. Many would not vote for the Virgin Mary because she's a foreign woman.

This is the BIGGEST bunch of BS!!! What trash! Grow the hell up!!

BelleVUe

Postby BelleVUe » Fri May 25, 2018 6:06 am

This is the 21st Century. President Obama got a lot of support from these people that you claim hate him, and he would not have been elected twice had he not gotten that support, There is always going to be hatred from some group hating another group, but I seriously doubt that almost all Conservatives voted against Obama because of his race, rather than his platform. That is why they voted for Swain--her platform was what mattered, and they supported her for what she believed in.

Let's look at this another way--Are you surprised that African Americans didn't vote for the white candidate Ted Cruz in 2016 primaries, yet they voted in the largest numbers ever for Donald Trump than they have voted for a member of that party? It had nothing to do with Cruz or Trump being white. A small number of African Americans might have refused to support these candidates due to race, but the reason Trump pulled in more African American votes than any prior GOP candidate is due to his campaigning his butt off to get their support. And, if the egomaniac in chief runs again in 2020, because the African American employment rate is the best in history, Trump will likely get an even larger percentage of African American support.

vebiltdervan

Postby vebiltdervan » Fri May 25, 2018 7:12 am

BelleVUe wrote:...African Americans didn't vote for the white candidate Ted Cruz in 2016 primaries, yet they voted in the largest numbers ever for Donald Trump than they have voted for a member of that party?...And, if [Trump]...runs again in 2020[he]...will likely get an even larger percentage of African American support.
Respectfully disagree with your claimed 'fact' (source?), respectfully question your prediction.

Return to “Black and Gold Coffee Shop”