tickets
vucommodores link by sport
forum
FTB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
MBB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
WBB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
BAS_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_

That went well...

For non-Vanderbilt sports discussion including but not limited to politics, science, the arts, travel, technology, entertainment, food & drink and more.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

vebiltdervan

Re: VEBILTDERVANI refuse to engage you anymore

Postby vebiltdervan » Thu May 17, 2018 11:37 pm

Matheta wrote:Your nit picking simply for the exercise of nit picking is tiring and adds nothing other than for you to grind your ax...

Here is precisely where the nit-picking began in this thread:
...Saying that you have several IDF friends does not add any authority, it is equivalent to someone saying "I'm not racist, I have several black friends!"...

Let the record show that MATHETA BEGAN the nit-picking, with a personal playing of the race card, aimed at me.

So I'm not so much "grinding my ax" as I am refusing to let the ORIGINAL OFFENDER off with the final insult. I'm perfectly willing to stop at any time whatsoever. BUT YOU FIRST, MA: you'll have to live up to the title you gave your post, by quitting the engaging you began.

Matheta

Re: That went well...

Postby Matheta » Fri May 18, 2018 7:48 am

Okay 'dervan, you're kind of picking to the point of making it raw.
Your saying that I played a race card on you is utter BS!
"Saying that you have several IDF friends does not add any authority, it is equivalent to someone saying "I'm not racist, I have several black friends!"...[/quote]
Let the record show that MATHETA BEGAN the nit-picking, with a personal playing of the race card, aimed at me."
You want to present your disagreement with me as if you are a prosecutor, and I know that as a Vandy grad there is almost sufficient knowledge to practice without a license, if you want to drag out the past.
Making a comparison is not a personal playing of a race card, unless it is something you WANT.
No I don't want to stop!! I want to grind your ax to such a fine edge that it will easily cut through your own BS!
Now, kindly go someone else with who to take "humbrage" [ as a note, you will find the letters h and u in very close proximity to each other, distressing so when typing on a tablet].

vebiltdervan

Postby vebiltdervan » Fri May 18, 2018 10:22 am

I'm not a prosecutor, but I am—& I freely admit it—one with an extremely low tolerance for personal slights. I do not let them go, in the absence of an apology.

MA's making an equivalence to a personal insult, in direct reference to me, still constitutes a personal insult. That was the intent, with the 'equivalence' part intended as a bit of plausible deniability. Sorry, but I view that plausibility as implausible. And as such, I continue to justifiably resent the continuing insult, and hold MA responsible for it. I'm not seeking to pick anything raw, simply to insist that others must take responsibility for their posts.

By the way, I'm also one—& I have done this umpteen times on this forum—who apologizes unreservedly when I find I have unintentionally given offense to anyone, or mistakenly taken offense when none was intended. I could wish others would more often practice the same. Apologies are good for the soul.

cjdore

Postby cjdore » Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 am

vebiltdervan wrote:I'm not a prosecutor, but I am—& I freely admit it—one with an extremely low tolerance for personal slights. I do not let them go, in the absence of an apology.

MA's making an equivalence to a personal insult, in direct reference to me, still constitutes a personal insult. That was the intent, with the 'equivalence' part intended as a bit of plausible deniability. Sorry, but I view that plausibility as implausible. And as such, I continue to justifiably resent the continuing insult, and hold MA responsible for it. I'm not seeking to pick anything raw, simply to insist that others must take responsibility for their posts.

By the way, I'm also one—& I have done this umpteen times on this forum—who apologizes unreservedly when I find I have unintentionally given offense to anyone, or mistakenly taken offense when none was intended. I could wish others would more often practice the same. Apologies are good for the soul.

:lol:

Matheta

Postby Matheta » Fri May 18, 2018 11:46 am

vebiltdervan wrote:I'm not a prosecutor, but I am—& I freely admit it—one with an extremely low tolerance for personal slights. I do not let them go, in the absence of an apology.

Pot, meet kettle!!
You 'dervan, are beginning to p1ss me off with this. YOU are the one who snidely rejected the Tweet I used, dismissing it because I didn't provide enough source information for you. Why don't you do your own d@mn search! You sought to bolster your position by your assertion re: several IDF friends. Stuff like that doesn't impress me.
The slight you imagined was not there except that OUR history causes it.
I don't recall the last time when you have unreservedly given apology. NEVER!!

vebiltdervan

Postby vebiltdervan » Fri May 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Matheta wrote:...You 'dervan, are beginning to p1ss me off with this. YOU are the one who snidely rejected the Tweet I used, dismissing it because I didn't provide enough source information for you...".
"Snidely"? Please: let's review the exchange in question dispassionately:
Matheta: "Hamas claimed that 50 of the more than 60 killed along the border between Gaza and Israel during an outbreak of violent protests following the U.S. Embassy’s opening in Jerusalem Monday were part of its terror organization Wednesday."
vebiltdervan: "'Part of their terror organization'?? Something tells me that, no, Hamas did not claim it that way. Source please."

Sorry, I'm not seeing the "snide" part. Not too surprising, because I never posted a "snide" part. What I did was to question (as gently as possible) the idea that Hamas would refer to themselves as a "terror organization". Your post appeared to be a mash-up of an uncited source ("Hamas claimed...") and your own characterizations, without providing the reader a way to differentiate between the two. So I respectfully ("Please...") requested the identity of your uncited source.

Let's talk about providing sources. To my mind, it's simply a matter of being respectful, in any serious thread, to one's readers to provide a link (or at least sufficient information to make Googling efficient) to any quoted/paraphrased source. It's a matter of simple respect to differentiate what's being quoted from what is the writer's personal beliefs.
Matheta wrote:...You sought to bolster your position by your assertion re: several IDF friends. Stuff like that doesn't impress me...

It was never intended to "impress" you. It was intended to underscore the fact that the IDF's official spokespersons (i.e., your source) should properly be expected to be biased, potentially laughably biased, rather than any kind of objective, arms-length judge of the IDF-Hamas-Gazans confrontation. Israelis, with the exception of the majority of the ultra-orthodox population, are essentially all required to serve in the IDF. But at the same time, Israelis are fiercely proud of their individual intellectual independence and remarkably argumentative. On the whole, they would be quite resistant to abdicating their own judgment, in favor of any spokesperson, including their own IDF's. You need not take my word for this, but I am setting the idea forth as a good & valuable thing, per se.

So I wasn't "trying to bolster my position", I was trying to bolster the idea of using one's brain to question authority, in this case, the authority of the IDF, as they are not a disinterested party, they are a party to the conflict and indeed they are precisely the ones responsible for the deaths in question. As such, there is valid cause to question the objectivity of the material they post on the internet. That, unfortunately, is something you did not bother to do. Nor did you differentiate what the IDF source claimed from what you personally added to the same sentence.

I would hope that, in general, if one is citing a biased or potentially biased source on this forum, it should be a matter of respect to one's readers to warn them of this fact, not to obscure it.
Matheta wrote:...The slight you imagined was not there except that OUR history causes it...
Count me dubious. You claim now that you intended no personal slight with your suggested "I'm not racist" "equivalence", but consider this: A definitively correct equivalence of my citing friends in the IDF to someone claiming "I'm not racist; I've got black friends" would have been if (& only if) I had cited my IDF friends as evidence that I am not an anti-Semite. I was obviously not bothering to do any such thing. I had a different point entirely, one that, unlike "I'm not racist..." was a respectable point, not a laughable one. No matter how many time you repeat your "equivalence" in an attempt to obscure its inappropriateness, its inappropriateness is not going away. If you failed to comprehend this inappropriateness, the proper follow-up is an apology, not an announcement that you're p1ssed off. I'm p1ssed off more, & for cause.
Matheta wrote:...I don't recall the last time when you have unreservedly given apology. NEVER!!
I rely on the many posters here who have better-functioning memories.
Last edited by vebiltdervan on Fri May 18, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matheta

VEBILTDERVANI, surely you don't expect me to was through

Postby Matheta » Fri May 18, 2018 5:49 pm

all that crap do you?

Right now I am so tired of your self serving crap I want to hurt!
Go away. One more post from you on this thread and I will be asking the admins to send you to time out for harassment.
DONE WITH YOU!!

3rdFloorDyer

Postby 3rdFloorDyer » Fri May 18, 2018 7:45 pm

BILTMORE wrote:Moving our embassy to Jerusalem sparked protests which led to over 60 dead and - did I read this right - 2400 wounded?!!!

Obama would've left it in Tel Aviv.

Yes, we should have listened to Chuck Shumer. Oh, wait....

vebiltdervan

Re: VEBILTDERVANI, surely you don't expect me to was through

Postby vebiltdervan » Fri May 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Matheta wrote:all that crap do you?...Right now I am so tired of your self serving crap I want to hurt!...Go away. One more post from you on this thread and I will be asking the admins to send you to time out for harassment...DONE WITH YOU!!
You continue to tease me. You promise me something positive (twice now you've promised you were done with this thread) & then you come right back & insist on your "right" to continue insulting me.

I posted, for your benefit, a series of cogent, non-insulting analyses. And what do you do? You admit that you have not bothered to read a word I wrote; you just assume (emphasis on the first syllable) that it is all "crap", "self-serving crap". One of us is indeed in default of forum rules & should be complained about to the mods. That one of us is YOU.

SINCE YOU'RE UNABLE TO CONDUCT A PROPER DIALOG, YOU GO AWAY. I am not harassing you, inasmuch as you commenced the harassment, and inasmuch as you are continuing forum-forbidden behavior.

Matheta

Postby Matheta » Fri May 18, 2018 8:38 pm

vebiltdervan wrote:
Matheta wrote:all that crap do you?...Right now I am so tired of your self serving crap I want to hurt!...Go away. One more post from you on this thread and I will be asking the admins to send you to time out for harassment...DONE WITH YOU!!
You continue to tease me. You promise me something positive (twice now you've promised you were done with this thread) & then you come right back & insist on your "right" to continue insulting me.

I posted, for your benefit, a series of cogent, non-insulting analyses. And what do you do? You admit that you have not bothered to read a word I wrote; you just assume (emphasis on the first syllable) that it is all "crap", "self-serving crap". One of us is indeed in default of forum rules & should be complained about to the mods. That one of us is YOU.

SINCE YOU'RE UNABLE TO CONDUCT A PROPER DIALOG, YOU GO AWAY. I am not harassing you, inasmuch as you commenced the harassment, and inasmuch as you are continuing forum-forbidden behavior.

Some Emerson for you ~ speaks right at you. Savor it as my gift to you.
"“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

vebiltdervan

Postby vebiltdervan » Fri May 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Matheta wrote:Some Emerson for you ~ speaks right at you. Savor it as my gift to you.
"“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

Have you ever considered the applicability of Ralph's excellent quote to your very own person? I tend to think not. Though it manifestly speaks right at anyone who chooses not to read his critic's criticism, but opts instead to just label it all "crap", "self-serving crap", choosing to remain forever ignorant of what was actually said. Savor that as my return gift right back atcha.

Pot, someone said recently, meet kettle.

Matheta

Postby Matheta » Sat May 19, 2018 7:51 am

vebiltdervan wrote:
Matheta wrote:Some Emerson for you ~ speaks right at you. Savor it as my gift to you.

Have you ever considered the applicability of Ralph's excellent quote to your very own person? I tend to think not. Though it manifestly speaks right at anyone who chooses not to read his critic's criticism, but opts instead to just label it all "crap", "self-serving crap", choosing to remain forever ignorant of what was actually said. Savor that as my return gift right back atcha.

Pot, someone said recently, meet kettle.

Thank you for your PeeWee Hermanesque response: "I know you are, but what am I?"

vebiltdervan

Postby vebiltdervan » Sat May 19, 2018 10:36 am

Matheta wrote:Thank you for your PeeWee Hermanesque response: "I know you are, but what am I?"

You're welcome. I just felt someone should supply awareness, since you refuse to supply it for yourself.

KarenYates
Site Admin

Postby KarenYates » Sat May 19, 2018 2:11 pm

DONE and locked. Move on and tone it down.

Return to “Black and Gold Coffee Shop”