All year long I looked forward to baseball season...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

All year long I looked forward to baseball season...

Post by commadore »

because football, basketball, and women's basketball all sucked.
Baseball sucks too. What is there to look forward to now. We look like a bad junior high team.

vufan1
Rear Admiral

Re: All year long I looked forward to baseball season...

Post by vufan1 »

We look scared. This team has ZERO confidence right now...
Vandyfan22
Commander

Post by Vandyfan22 »

Preds
vufan1
Rear Admiral

Post by vufan1 »

Vandyfan22 wrote:Preds
Hopefully one of our other spring sports can give us something to cheer about.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

Women's Tennis and women's LX are winners! Whoopee....oh, I forgot women's bowling...what would we be without Title IX?
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Vandyfan22 wrote:Preds
I live in Montgomery, AL. Wanted something to crow about down here as all I hear is tide & tigers.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

commadore wrote:because football, basketball, and women's basketball all sucked.
Baseball sucks too. What is there to look forward to now. We look like a bad junior high team.
Good grief, what is wrong with people.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

beat Georgia again today and we will be OK - confidence will return. Corbin in his interview seemed really stressed - we need the fun to come back and it will with this young team. Fans need to be out there to help win this series.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Dickeys Nightmare wrote:
commadore wrote:because football, basketball, and women's basketball all sucked.
I don't know, maybe living in Alabama for 34 years has taught me to expect MORE.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

commadore wrote:
Dickeys Nightmare wrote:
I don't know, maybe living in Alabama for 34 years has taught me to expect MORE.
More what? Weird.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Dickeys Nightmare wrote:
commadore wrote:
Dickeys Nightmare wrote:
More what? Weird.
You must be thick as a brick. Alabama wins, Auburn wins, and all I hear is how great they are and how they feel sorry for VU. They win at everything, we win at nothing (save women's tennis and bowling). But I am tired of it. Why can't we get a commitment from the administration to be first class...oh yeah, 600 million for dorms, but turn down all upgrades for sports. And we lose. I expect more. If others can do it, we can too. Period.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote:
Dickeys Nightmare wrote:
commadore wrote:
More what? Weird.
You must be thick as a brick. Alabama wins, Auburn wins, and all I hear is how great they are and how they feel sorry for VU. They win at everything, we win at nothing (save women's tennis and bowling). But I am tired of it. Why can't we get a commitment from the administration to be first class...oh yeah, 600 million for dorms, but turn down all upgrades for sports. And we lose. I expect more. If others can do it, we can too. Period.
Hyperbole much? Enjoy cheese with your whine? Here's something even more puzzling: Why do you live in Alabama? That's your problem, right there. Talk about thick as a brick.
AtrumEtAureum
Vice Admiral

Post by AtrumEtAureum »

commadore wrote:
Dickeys Nightmare wrote:
commadore wrote:
More what? Weird.
How is any of that related to baseball? Vandy's baseball facilities are first class (except perhaps in stadium capacity). The team just finished a huge facilities renovation that looks incredible.

I think there is a lot of sky is falling hyperbole about this team this year. It was snakebit over the past couple weeks, but this is a very talented team that prior to this weekend had series wins against #14 Duke, #17 LSU on top of a weekend with wins against a top 50 TCU team and #21 UCLA. Its only series loss was against the best team in the country when it was playing damn good baseball (though it did have a tough luck loss to a good SHSU team and a loss to a very good ULL team), but sure, "baseball sucks."

And after this weekend, this team has yet another series win against a ranked team.

Are there issues with the team? Sure, Infante is taking hacks at balls he shouldn't and isn't protecting the plate, resulting in SOs almost half of his at-bats, but Corbin kept giving him chances, knowing his potential at the plate as well as his plus glove in the field. Corbin has made some peculiar calls as well, but in general, this is a good team.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote:
commadore wrote:
Dickeys Nightmare wrote:
More what? Weird.
Hyperbole much? Enjoy cheese with your whine? Here's something even more puzzling: Why do you live in Alabama? That's your problem, right there. Talk about thick as a brick.
Not that I have to answer to your kind, but when you come out of college, law school, and tax school, and are offered the choice between a $35,000 job in Nashville, or to start, set up, and run the tax department of a billion dollar plus public company, complete with year end bonuses and stock options, Alabama looks pretty good. And for me it has been. And I expect as much from the university that gave me my first degree, as it expected of me as a student.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

commadore, you made the case against you. Your education helped get you to your success and Vanderbilt's mission is education for its students - not building large football stadiums etc. I believe the success we have had in athletics is remarkable considering the fact that Vanderbilt's prime concern is the education of its students including housing them in first-class dorms so that they can year after year have students who understand that the school caters to them and not mindless "fans." Don't get me wrong, I want us to win as much as anyone, but I also understand the wisdom of not the idiotic spending on athletic facilities. If we win a national championship in football and basketball, maybe the administration will see that this can help with the primary mission (and it probably would) but VU will never put the kind of money that UT does (and look at VU-UT record in football over the past 5 years) down a rat hole that benefits few.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote:commadore, you made the case against you. Your education helped get you to your success and Vanderbilt's mission is education for its students - not building large football stadiums etc. I believe the success we have had in athletics is remarkable considering the fact that Vanderbilt's prime concern is the education of its students including housing them in first-class dorms so that they can year after year have students who understand that the school caters to them and not mindless "fans." Don't get me wrong, I want us to win as much as anyone, but I also understand the wisdom of not the idiotic spending on athletic facilities. If we win a national championship in football and basketball, maybe the administration will see that this can help with the primary mission (and it probably would) but VU will never put the kind of money that UT does (and look at VU-UT record in football over the past 5 years) down a rat hole that benefits few.

Fair enough. Now let's end this thread and go about beating Western.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote:
Good2BGold wrote:
commadore wrote:
Not that I have to answer to your kind, but when you come out of college, law school, and tax school, and are offered the choice between a $35,000 job in Nashville, or to start, set up, and run the tax department of a billion dollar plus public company, complete with year end bonuses and stock options, Alabama looks pretty good. And for me it has been. And I expect as much from the university that gave me my first degree, as it expected of me as a student.
My kind is also a VU alum, and there's not enough money on the planet to get me to live in Alabama — where intelligence goes to die. But for your kind, I guess that's not a problem.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

Good2BGold wrote:
commadore wrote:
Good2BGold wrote: Hyperbole much? Enjoy cheese with your whine? Here's something even more puzzling: Why do you live in Alabama? That's your problem, right there. Talk about thick as a brick.
My kind is also a VU alum, and there's not enough money on the planet to get me to live in Alabama — where intelligence goes to die. But for your kind, I guess that's not a problem.
Good2BGold, 'your kind' are condescending opinionists who have never lived in Alabama and know little of The South. I refer you to an article in AL.com recently about a New Yorker who was transferred to Alabama and the transformation that he experienced after living there for just one year. He over came his bias with the reality of so many things about The South that he grew to love and appreciate.
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

VanDSIRROM wrote:
Good2BGold wrote:
commadore wrote:
Good2BGold, 'your kind' are condescending opinionists who have never lived in Alabama and know little of The South. I refer you to an article in AL.com recently about a New Yorker who was transferred to Alabama and the transformation that he experienced after living there for just one year. He over came his bias with the reality of so many things about The South that he grew to love and appreciate.
You know what they say about assuming, VanDSIRROM, and apparently "your kind" is the kind who assumes they know something when they don't. Not a good look when you're trying to act all superior. I'm a native Southerner and have lived in the South all but two years of my life, and still live in the South. One article from The Birmingham News website doesn't trump a lifetime of firsthand knowledge about the most backward state in the union. But your desire to defend Alabama is definitely informative about you.

The OP chooses to live in Alabama, yet still wants to whine that it's all about Bama and Auburn down there. Well, duh! Pretty freaking predictable.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote:
VanDSIRROM wrote:
Good2BGold wrote: My kind is also a VU alum, and there's not enough money on the planet to get me to live in Alabama — where intelligence goes to die. But for your kind, I guess that's not a problem.
You know what they say about assuming, VanDSIRROM, and apparently "your kind" is the kind who assumes they know something when they don't. Not a good look when you're trying to act all superior. I'm a native Southerner and have lived in the South all but two years of my life, and still live in the South. One article from The Birmingham News website doesn't trump a lifetime of firsthand knowledge about the most backward state in the union. But your desire to defend Alabama is definitely informative about you.

The OP chooses to live in Alabama, yet still wants to whine that it's all about Bama and Auburn down there. Well, duh! Pretty freaking predictable.
Your insinuations are insipid, your conversations consist predominately of phraseological inexactitudes, and you are deplorably deficient in magnanimity.
Locked Previous topicNext topic