Hustler: analysis of AAMU game, plus player profile of Will Sheppard

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Hustler: analysis of AAMU game, plus player profile of Will Sheppard

Post by BrentVU »

Hustler: Commodore Brunch Week One: Flashes of progression
Vanderbilt blocked two punts and scored six touchdowns in Vanderbilt’s 47-13 defeat over Alabama A&M.
(By Andrew Wilf, Sports Editor)

Hustler: Will Sheppard: Becoming his best self
In his fourth year at Vanderbilt University, Will Sheppard is doubling as a leader and playmaker for the Commodores.
(By Aiden Rutman, Deputy Sports Editor)

jpmando
Commander

Re: Hustler: analysis of AAMU game, plus player profile of Will Sheppard

Post by jpmando »

I really like this he way Sheppard takes control in the end zone when the throws come his way.

I would like to see more dependable hands from him when the ball is thrown high over his head. I'm not sure how to coach making those types of catches when the ball hits his fingertips. I think that improvement in that particular area would elevate his draft status.

Overall, of course, I'm glad he is on our team.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Hustler: analysis of AAMU game, plus player profile of Will Sheppard

Post by BrentVU »

Last week I read an NFL scout's evaluation of Sheppard on profootballnetwork.com. The scout had these positives about him: "Strong, competitive hands that fight through contact at the catch point"; "Sets defenders up well on slants"; and "Seriously, his length is a cheat code." However, the thing that caught my eye in it was this negative comment: "Very simplistic and limited offense disallows for an entire route tree." Hmmm. He excels on the slant and the fade, but doesn't get as many opportunities on things like posts and crossing routes, I guess.

The same scout also said, "Struggles to finish through significant contact." Not sure I agree with that one.

More:
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/will ... ting-2024/
Locked Previous topicNext topic