Vanderbilt actually a 2 seed in the NIT per VU

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Vanderbilt actually a 2 seed in the NIT per VU

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

Good to know.

historybill
Admiral

Re: Vanderbilt actually a 2 seed in the NIT per VU

Post by historybill »

Someone should tell the NIT, because on the official website Vanderbilt is still a 3.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

If we are a 2, it is easier to take.

It means, if we beat Yale, we host the next game. Traveling to Michigan would be hard to swallow. Especially if Liberty and Colorado were seeded ahead of us…. Being a 3-seed would certainly give us a legitimate chip on our shoulder.

The 2 is slap enough.

On the bright side, if these guys are sticking together and returning next year, our NIT bracket is a very real gauntlet of the type teams you play in the NCAA tournament. Yale is the regular season Ivy champ and no joke - although our A-game should suffice. Michigan pits Stack against Howard and is a made for tv event. Stopping that Wolverine center will be a lot like playing UK again. Clemson and Rutgers are all very good teams with legitimate resumes.

So we need to absorb the slap, and go out and play. I like to watch this team play. I hope it lasts a while.

Looking at the whole NCAA bracket, I think they significantly held injuries against teams. I think it hurt us and Rutgers. I think the SEC “advocate” on the committee did not fight to displace MSU or Auburn with us. Big fan-bases. 9 SEC teams was too many. I’m not sure the NIT had a say in the 4 top seeds - they seem to be the dance committee’s first 4 out. With the correct seed, that would make us the 5th team out - paired in the 4th team out’s bracket.

p.s. - it appears the selection show made the same mistake with Liberty and Colorado listed as 2’s - they are 3s. New Mexico and Wisconsin as a 2 makes a lot more sense. (Liberty is surprisingly good by the way. Solid coach.) In an alternate universe, if the VCU heist goes the other way, we probably can’t be denied.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

roanoke wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:00 am If we are a 2, it is easier to take.

It means, if we beat Yale, we host the next game. Traveling to Michigan would be hard to swallow. Especially if Liberty and Colorado were seeded ahead of us…. Being a 3-seed would certainly give us a legitimate chip on our shoulder.

The 2 is slap enough.

On the bright side, if these guys are sticking together and returning next year, our NIT bracket is a very real gauntlet of the type teams you play in the NCAA tournament. Yale is the regular season Ivy champ and no joke - although our A-game should suffice. Michigan pits Stack against Howard and is a made for tv event. Stopping that Wolverine center will be a lot like playing UK again. Clemson and Rutgers are all very good teams with legitimate resumes.

So we need to absorb the slap, and go out and play. I like to watch this team play. I hope it lasts a while.

Looking at the whole NCAA bracket, I think they significantly held injuries against teams. I think it hurt us and Rutgers. I think the SEC “advocate” on the committee did not fight to displace MSU or Auburn with us. Big fan-bases. 9 SEC teams was too many. I’m not sure the NIT had a say in the 4 top seeds - they seem to be the dance committee’s first 4 out. With the correct seed, that would make us the 5th team out - paired in the 4th team out’s bracket.

p.s. - it appears the selection show made the same mistake with Liberty and Colorado listed as 2’s - they are 3s. New Mexico and Wisconsin as a 2 makes a lot more sense. (Liberty is surprisingly good by the way. Solid coach.) In an alternate universe, if the VCU heist goes the other way, we probably can’t be denied.
The SEC advocate on the committee was the Alabama AD. We know how he thinks (e.g. Miller handling) and they got the number 1 seed - that was probably all he advocated for.
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

roanoke wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:00 am I
Looking at the whole NCAA bracket, I think they significantly held injuries against teams.
I saw an interview with the NCAA Selection Committee Chair who said that out loud, much to the surprise of the interviewer (I think it was on ESPN, but don't recall). I was surprised to hear that too. It certain is not the same sentiment as "body of work"
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

The seeding for the top 64 teams is all bull shit, there are at least 25 teams in there that we could beat the hell out of. I know that we needed to win those early games but when you go 10-2 in the last 12 games then you shoud be in I don't care what the NIL or the other grading says. I guess that the world that we live in now will never be like in the past when the best teams that finished very good were in no matter what!
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

janvandy66 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:22 pm The seeding for the top 64 teams is all bull shit, there are at least 25 teams in there that we could beat the hell out of. I know that we needed to win those early games but when you go 10-2 in the last 12 games then you shoud be in I don't care what the NIL or the other grading says. I guess that the world that we live in now will never be like in the past when the best teams that finished very good were in no matter what!
never say never. it's like it is now until it's changed again....to who knows what. c'est la vie.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Toledo will beat Michigan in the first round of the NIT.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

They’re trying to fool a bunch of smart Vandy fans. Injuries only mattered for the bubble/ non blue blood teams. I give you UK…seeded far too high.

Vandamnit wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:47 am
roanoke wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:00 am I
Looking at the whole NCAA bracket, I think they significantly held injuries against teams.
I saw an interview with the NCAA Selection Committee Chair who said that out loud, much to the surprise of the interviewer (I think it was on ESPN, but don't recall). I was surprised to hear that too. It certain is not the same sentiment as "body of work"
Locked Previous topicNext topic