My Theory of Stackhouse

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

My Theory of Stackhouse

Post by alathIN »

I have to admit I was dusting off my pitchfork after the Alabama game. Not really about the loss, it was the postgame comments where he said in effect he was willing to lose a game on purpose to make a point to his players and change attitudes.
Judging by the team's play after that, it would appear that he had a point that was worth making.
Even at that time, I said I didn't think he had lost the team and I thought the players still respected him. I was laughed off another board for that, so score one point for me, but I have to admit I said that in the context of I did not believe he could turn things around.

So here's my theory of Stackhouse. Despite the glitz and hall of fame glamour, Stackhouse is more like Kevin Stallings than not. He's serious and intense and doesn't suffer foolishness.
As a G-leage coach, he would have been working with players who had experienced a reality check - they knew they'd have to work hard to get to the NBA. They may have at one time been pampered prima donnas who thought they'd come out of high school straight to the NBA hall of fame, but no longer. Also they would generally have been a little older - and there is a huge difference between 18 and 22.
We all wondered why he kept favoring his hard working upperclassmen over more talented younger players.
And I can see that the recruiting pitch of "you're not as good as you think you are. You're going to have to work your butt off just to get into a game" might not work on the pampered prima donna teenagers.
However with some wins to show, I think high school players might take that message better coming from a hall of fame NBA player than Kevin Stallings.

Whatever happens from here out, Stack has gained some favorable buzz and banked some goodwill in the fan base.
There are already people saying he's shown enough to earn consideration for the UNC job (is that job open? Likely to be soon? I have no idea).

At this point I am happy to eat crow and say I hope he will stick around.
I'm not 100% sure he'll get the program to another higher step, but he's clearly heading the right direction.
I do think the culture he's building represents the values I can cheer for as an alum.

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: My Theory of Stackhouse

Post by mathguy »

alathIN wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:59 pm So here's my theory of Stackhouse. Despite the glitz and hall of fame glamour, Stackhouse is more like Kevin Stallings than not. He's serious and intense and doesn't suffer foolishness.
This is a decent comparison. He sure has Stallings' grumpines. He also sure has a lot more street cred than Stallings had.

I wouldn't worry about the UNC job ... this year at least. Despite the disappointment of this year, the current UNC coach is beloved alum that goes back to the Deam Smith days, played in a final 4 for UNC and just finished his 2nd year as a coach there ... with year 1 involving a trip to the national title game.

Not even the UNC fan base would move on from the coach that fast.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: My Theory of Stackhouse

Post by MrMemorial »

alathIN wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:59 pm I have to admit I was dusting off my pitchfork after the Alabama game. Not really about the loss, it was the postgame comments where he said in effect he was willing to lose a game on purpose to make a point to his players and change attitudes.
Judging by the team's play after that, it would appear that he had a point that was worth making.
Even at that time, I said I didn't think he had lost the team and I thought the players still respected him. I was laughed off another board for that, so score one point for me, but I have to admit I said that in the context of I did not believe he could turn things around.

So here's my theory of Stackhouse. Despite the glitz and hall of fame glamour, Stackhouse is more like Kevin Stallings than not. He's serious and intense and doesn't suffer foolishness.
As a G-leage coach, he would have been working with players who had experienced a reality check - they knew they'd have to work hard to get to the NBA. They may have at one time been pampered prima donnas who thought they'd come out of high school straight to the NBA hall of fame, but no longer. Also they would generally have been a little older - and there is a huge difference between 18 and 22.
We all wondered why he kept favoring his hard working upperclassmen over more talented younger players.
And I can see that the recruiting pitch of "you're not as good as you think you are. You're going to have to work your butt off just to get into a game" might not work on the pampered prima donna teenagers.
However with some wins to show, I think high school players might take that message better coming from a hall of fame NBA player than Kevin Stallings.

Whatever happens from here out, Stack has gained some favorable buzz and banked some goodwill in the fan base.
There are already people saying he's shown enough to earn consideration for the UNC job (is that job open? Likely to be soon? I have no idea).

At this point I am happy to eat crow and say I hope he will stick around.
I'm not 100% sure he'll get the program to another higher step, but he's clearly heading the right direction.
I do think the culture he's building represents the values I can cheer for as an alum.
If that other forum is VS, they cried their little eyes out when Will Healy was not hired to coach VU football. As soon as the hire went to somebody else, the CEO of that forum went on his podcast to bemoan the (cough-cough) "buyers remorse" VU was going to suffer from not hiring Healy.

A little reminder how their Healy man-crush ended up...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ng-season/

Charlotte has fired fourth-year coach Will Healy after a 1-7 effort that ensured a third straight losing season for the 49ers, the university announced Sunday. The program parts ways with the 37-year-old following a 34-15 home loss to FIU, which dropped the 49ers to 0-4 in conference play. Charlotte won just 8 of its next 26 games after the bowl appearance, and the free-fall in competitiveness this season bottomed out with an embarrassing loss as a two-touchdown favorite on Homecoming weekend.
Locked Previous topicNext topic