Disadvantage

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Disadvantage

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

I know these are elite athletes, but how much of a disadvantage is it to play two games in 24 hours against a rested team?

GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Re: Disadvantage

Post by GoheenFan88 »

I’m not sure how much it is a disadvantage. A team can get on a roll and keep winning while a rested team can come out flat and rusty.

It all just depends who comes out firing and ready to play.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

In reality, teams can punch through on energy for two games. That's why the double bye is so important. Wednesday teams tend to run out of juice on Friday. Thursday teams on Saturday. Double Bye teams only need grit against an equally tired team on Sunday.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Honestly, playing game 2 in two days shouldn't matter much unless game 1 was unusually exhausting.

Game 3 in three days is when it seems like guys legs start to go, especially if you are a jump shot reliant team.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

The real disadvantage to the schedule happens on Saturday, when you are playing your third game in three days, and the Friday game finishes at 10:30 PM and you are scheduled for 2:00 PM on Saturday.

The other thing I worry about is that we got banged around quite a bit last night. Wright took a big shot, Lawrence had a big band-aid on his head, Dort is very rusty. Those types of things have a cumulative effect.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

They had 4 days off before last nights game. LSU played consecutive nights and they didn’t look very tired to me.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I would say if we get the win tonight, don't hold your breath too much for Saturday. We have to hope that a second win against Kentucky in as many weeks will be enough to get us in. Three wins in three days is a tall order.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I agree. A feel like the third game in consecutive days is when you physically hit a wall.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Win tonight and Saturday doesn't matter (re getting into the NCAA)...lose tonight and Saturday doesn't matter...

Leave it all out there tonight it's as close to a make or break game we've had all season...since yesterday anyway.

Given our undeservedly low rankings and the fact that we'd get in more from our recent winning I wonder if a close loss would also help us here.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Obvious wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:52 am I agree. A feel like the third game in consecutive days is when you physically hit a wall.
I do like the fact that we aren't as 3-pointer dependent as some of our past teams have been. I feel like its the 3-pointers that really fade on tired legs. So we might be OK for a Saturday game.

Maybe.
zhanglini
Commander

Post by zhanglini »

they are 20 year olds, not us
@AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic