IF Vanderbilt wins tonight...

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

IF Vanderbilt wins tonight...

Post by historybill »

(and that's a big "IF")....

Then with a record of 9-6, Vanderbilt will be tied with Tennessee in the SEC standings.

At the beginning of this month, Vanderbilt was 3-6 in the conference. Tennessee was 7-2 and ranked number 4 in the nation.

Golddore68
Admiral

Re: IF Vanderbilt wins tonight...

Post by Golddore68 »

Possibly in a 3-way tie with UT and Kentucky. UK plays at Florida tonight. That’s been a tough place for them in the past.

Everyone says UT will get a 3-seed. Everyone isn’t even listing Vanderbilt as an option for the NCAAT. If Vanderbilt finishes with the same SEC record as UT, and beat UT in the regular season, Vanderbilt should be considered for the NCAAT.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Golddore68 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:45 am Possibly in a 3-way tie with UT and Kentucky. UK plays at Florida tonight. That’s been a tough place for them in the past.

Everyone says UT will get a 3-seed. Everyone isn’t even listing Vanderbilt as an option for the NCAAT. If Vanderbilt finishes with the same SEC record as UT, and beat UT in the regular season, Vanderbilt should be considered for the NCAAT.
Some national media “experts” have put Vanderbilt on their lists of teams to watch. I started a post about it.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

it's not only SEC wins/standing it is overall wins as well. That is where VU may have trouble getting in. A shoo-in for the NIT if not.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

Need to get this one tonight. This type of game scares me to death, need to take control early.
Hartcfairfax
Chief

Post by Hartcfairfax »

So I guess a win doesn't guarantee anything....but a loss just might
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Hartcfairfax wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:26 pm So I guess a win doesn't guarantee anything....but a loss just might
I would say a loss is more hurtful than a win is helpful.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:29 pm
Hartcfairfax wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:26 pm So I guess a win doesn't guarantee anything....but a loss just might
I would say a loss is more hurtful than a win is helpful.
Sounds weird but correct. We should win because we’re supposed to win. We’re not supposed to lose and that will weigh more.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We need this win like we do the rest of the games and my hope this sustained pressure does not crush us. We have absolutely no wiggle room, the good thing is that we have a number of players who could come up unexpectedly and help us and relieve some of the pressure on our first 8. Hoping for a win tonight even if by a single point.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Glass half full.

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

If we win 3/4 of the games remaining on our schedule and at least one SEC tourney game, I hope our chances to get in are better than 50%. We would be at least 9-2 since February 1st and probably replace a team trending down. On top of that, we would be in the top 5 of the SEC, and I would venture that the SEC gets in at least six teams.
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

"If, if's and buts were candies and nuts we would all have a merry Christmas."

LSU is playing at home with nothing to lose. Vandy is a 2.5 Pt favorite on the road in what has now become a must win game. Liam will be focused. I just hope his compatriots will follow his example.

Btw., does anyone else remember that the 87-88 team won seven games in a row before LSU stopped the streak. That Vandy bunch lead by Will Perdue and Barry Goheen went to the Sweet Sixteen.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Bad loss: we lost it at the free throw line and they had a ton of lucky shots plus defensive rebounding was bad in first half.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Even if we win our last 3 regular season games. I don’t believe it will be enough. Need to start playing better basketball earlier in the season.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

That loss crushes at-large potential bid (it was slim anyways and we weren’t gonna go 3-0 next three games anyways). Plus it’s just hard to reel together major win streaks in SEC. A truly amazing run the past few weeks, but overall overshadowed by a bad two months to begin season.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

VandyDores15 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:17 pm That loss crushes at-large potential bid (it was slim anyways and we weren’t gonna go 3-0 next three games anyways). Plus it’s just hard to reel together major win streaks in SEC. A truly amazing run the past few weeks, but overall overshadowed by a bad two months to begin season.
in spite of the euro trip (or because of it??), the team wasn’t prepared for this season to begin, and then it took an inordinately long time to settle on a best rotation. hopefully some lessons have been learned and we’ll be ready when the ‘23-24 season arrives.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

docdore wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:55 pm
VandyDores15 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:17 pm That loss crushes at-large potential bid (it was slim anyways and we weren’t gonna go 3-0 next three games anyways). Plus it’s just hard to reel together major win streaks in SEC. A truly amazing run the past few weeks, but overall overshadowed by a bad two months to begin season.
in spite of the euro trip (or because of it??), the team wasn’t prepared for this season to begin, and then it took an inordinately long time to settle on a best rotation. hopefully some lessons have been learned and we’ll be ready when the ‘23-24 season arrives.
Hopefully so, just as important will be roster rebuild. Can’t under emphasize how big a loss Robbins is. Huge offseason ahead.
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

For all that is holy, man, do you not know what a JINX is???

historybill wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:35 am (and that's a big "IF")....

Then with a record of 9-6, Vanderbilt will be tied with Tennessee in the SEC standings.

At the beginning of this month, Vanderbilt was 3-6 in the conference. Tennessee was 7-2 and ranked number 4 in the nation.
Locked Previous topicNext topic