Twain-esque

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Twain-esque

Post by alathIN »

It's amazing how much Stackhouse has learned about coaching since Robbins' ankle got better.
Maybe Robbins' doctor gave him a few tips.

buffy
Vice Admiral

Re: Twain-esque

Post by buffy »

That's funny. Stackhouse has been one of the unluckiest coaches regarding injuries in human history.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

alathIN wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:00 am It's amazing how much Stackhouse has learned about coaching since Robbins' ankle got better.
Maybe Robbins' doctor gave him a few tips.
I know this is semi-serious, but one thing that has happened since Robbins returned is that his PT has gone up. Prior to the injury he had played more than 24 minutes only 7 times in 17 games; since returning he has played 24 or more minutes in all 4 games, averaging 29 minutes per game, compared to the 22 minutes per game prior to the injury.

It is also notable that in our first four losses, he played the following minutes - 15, 11, 23 and 21. I'd say that having Robbins healthy is essential to what we are doing now, but almost as important is actually playing him consistent starter's minutes when he is available. To CJS' credit, he has recognized this before it was too late, and adjusted his lineups and rotations to something that is a bit more conventional,

Perhaps the most impactful thing that has happened since Robbins has returned is that he is 10-15 from three in the last four games. When your center is shooting like Steph Curry your coaching looks a whole lot better.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Basketball players get more minutes when uninjured.

Hot take alert
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Question: how much has our recent success been due to Stack handing over much of the offense to one of the assistants? I do think this has resulted in more open looks, the game plans certainly have used Robbins more efficiently.

Nevertheless, our success in the remaining five games may be closely tied to our three point shooting. We were fortunate to face USC, rather than Auburn, on a cold shooting night. And we certainly can't count on Robbins hitting 2/3's of his 3 pointers from here on our.

Certainly looking forward to Saturday night
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Will miss Liam next year. Will QMB be back? Dort is no Liam right now but many things will change next year. Will see how the roster shakes out on who leaves and who doesn't...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:17 am Basketball players get more minutes when uninjured.

Hot take alert
Was he injured prior to Arkansas? Or are all of these discussions simply over your head?

Average minutes per game played, not total games. This is yet another example of why your disdain for kenpom has little effect. You don't understand basic statistics, much less advanced ones.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Nashmann wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:45 am Will miss Liam next year. Will QMB be back? Dort is no Liam right now but many things will change next year. Will see how the roster shakes out on who leaves and who doesn't...
QMB has one year remaining.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I assume Q would return considering he’s already in the graduate engineering program. A lot of times, players will bail with that extra year available so they can get playing time. Q knows his future isn’t in pro basketball. I love his hustle and grit and would for him to return.
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

buffy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:23 am That's funny. Stackhouse has been one of the unluckiest coaches regarding injuries in human history.
Coach Ralph would like a word about this topic.....

CONQUER!!...., and PREVAIL!!!
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:17 am Basketball players get more minutes when uninjured.

Hot take alert
This might be pretty truthy. We can't know whether or not he had a nagging injury keeping him limited earlier in the season, since you're generally supposed to be hush hush about that (in particular, nagging big man injuries can have long term career impacts).

I like this narrative. It makes our coach appear smart, sensitive and cares about the players.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

dore74 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:38 am Question: how much has our recent success been due to Stack handing over much of the offense to one of the assistants? I do think this has resulted in more open looks, the game plans certainly have used Robbins more efficiently.
74, you and I both heard Stack say in an interview that "the boss lady" had reminded him after the Bama game he was the CEO and did not need to do everything, and he offered that he had turned the offense over to his "offensive coordinator" who now calls the offensive plays. This is why I have said that Stack is very much still learning how to coach and guess what, he and the team are getting better. We need to give the assist to Candace. We are watching a process unfold in real time. It is fun and we are learning, too. Most coaches at the SEC level have a ton of college coaching experience, but ours did not, but he has been getting it over these 4 years.
mtnvandy
Captain

Asst Coach- Offensive Play calls

Post by mtnvandy »

Dore74-
Had the same thought. Post UT game, CJS mentioned allowing an assistant (forgot name he mentioned) was calling offensive plays.
Said AD reminded him he was CEO
He said he prbbly wld never give up defensive coaching to asst

Anybody know what coach he refrrenced?

MtnVandy
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Adam Mazarei
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:24 pmAdam Mazarei
and from Wikipedia on Mazarei: "Mazarei graduated from University of Redlands in 2006 with major in psychology. Played basketball at Redlands under coach Gary Smith. In senior season he led league in assists and led the country in all divisions of the NCAA in Assist to Turnover ratio (5:1)." So this is why our assist to turnover ration has improved of late!!!!!!!!
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:12 pm
and from Wikipedia on Mazarei: "Mazarei graduated from University of Redlands in 2006 with major in psychology. Played basketball at Redlands under coach Gary Smith. In senior season he led league in assists and led the country in all divisions of the NCAA in Assist to Turnover ratio (5:1)." So this is why our assist to turnover ration has improved of late!!!!!!!!
thank you coach mazarei. hopefully our frosh guards are soaking up his teachings….like the veterans obviously have.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

docdore wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:20 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:12 pm
thank you coach mazarei. hopefully our frosh guards are soaking up his teachings….like the veterans obviously have.
I ran into Adam in town once and we struck up a conversation. He is by far the most inviting coach I’ve ever come across. I met him right when Stackhouse took over and we talked about the Stallings teams from past. The guy was well read in
Vanderbilt basketball history and he had just recently joined. He refrained from speaking poorly about CBD but only complimented Drew’s recruiting. If you see him out he’s very generous with his time and loves to talk basketball.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Stack hasn’t given up all the responsibility for play calling (he’s too much of a control freak for that), but he did state Mazarei called a lot of plays in the ut game and he has given him some more responsibility with the offensive play calling. I would imagine Mazarei gives Stack some input and Stack still makes the final decision. We must remember this was after after a huge win and he was wanting to share the credit with all of his staff and everyone else.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Mazarei surely can get some credit for coaching ball security at guard position- and play calling. Good for Stack to share the praise. He likes the bkame- makes him try harder he said.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

dore74 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:38 am Question: how much has our recent success been due to Stack handing over much of the offense to one of the assistants? I do think this has resulted in more open looks, the game plans certainly have used Robbins more efficiently.

Nevertheless, our success in the remaining five games may be closely tied to our three point shooting. We were fortunate to face USC, rather than Auburn, on a cold shooting night. And we certainly can't count on Robbins hitting 2/3's of his 3 pointers from here on our.

Certainly looking forward to Saturday night
I think our team has looked a lot better and more cohesive during this run. Better shooting from better shots. Our guys are moving better, taking better shots, there is more inside/outside ball movement with Manjon looking really solid, and Liam of course is factoring into all of this, and is important but is not the only reason. Guys are stepping up and filling in when needed (e.g. scoring). I think we've got to give credit to the coaching staff. CJS for adjusting, and if part of that is involving an assistant more, Mazarei, then great! Perhaps the "statement" game against Bama is factored into this as well.
Locked Previous topicNext topic