Um, wow?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Um, wow?

Post by alathIN »

I was just looking through the remaining schedule this morning and figured at Florida to be one of the harder ones to win.
That was a solid SEC road win. I know this is not the Final Four Florida of old, but they're not bad and that's a tough place to win.

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Re: Um, wow?

Post by alathIN »

It makes the UT win feel like not-a-fluke
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Here’s to our guys being this year’s out of nowhere team. A double ton to get there, of course…but honest to goodness these past four games have been out of fiction.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

Great win!
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

If we can hang close in the rebound dept, then it comes down to A:TO ratio, which has been an aggravating <1 in our losses. Today Manjon was 8:0, and the team was 13:5. Keep the ball in Manjon's hands.

And of course awesome work by Mr. Robbins, among others.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

And Trey had no turnovers.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

….and perfect shooting. not a bad day’s work.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:38 pm And Trey had no turnovers.
Trey had a helluva game ! Without him we likely lose.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

OldDude wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:25 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:38 pm And Trey had no turnovers.
Trey had a helluva game ! Without him we likely lose.
He was 100% shooting including 100% from three and 100% at the line.

So where are all the Trey haters from not that long ago? Wait...some of them were also Stack haters and due to the overlap, they are now more mute than Helen Keller before the "water" incident.
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

I'm going to guess I'm one of the people you are asking about where are we? I sure hope I've not seemed to be a Trey hater, but if that's how my words have come across, I will take that blame.

Not that it matters to everyone, but I didn't get to watch the game on Wednesday until after 11pm. My wife had surgery that day, so I chose to wait until late to watch and somehow kept people from telling me anything. Well except my wife told me when I paused the game with 8 minutes to go to go make sure she was doing ok, and she misunderstood and thought I had finished the game. As frustrating as that was, her hip replacement was way more important to me.

Trey looked great on Saturday! I thought he did a very good job taking good shots, and impacting the game positively along with not turning the ball over. I guess he seems like a better player to me when he isn't having to run the point. After that, I think we have shooters as good if not better than him, so my complaints aren't about Trey per se, to me its a coaching issue. I struggle understanding how he plays so many minutes when in many games he doesn't score much, can't beat his man off the dribble, and throughout lots of the year was a weakness on defense. That's when I want them to give some minutes to other players. Then again if he plays like he did Saturday, I'm more than happy for him to get lots of minutes.
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

I think that the trust that coach has shown in him has payed off. I must say that i see a different player now.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Vanderbilt is underdog in all remaining reg season games, according to ESPN, including @LSU and home versus MSU.

Must prove them wrong.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Castleton is out for the rest of the year!!! Should help against Fla rematch...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Versus75 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:06 am Vanderbilt is underdog in all remaining reg season games, according to ESPN, including @LSU and home versus MSU.

Must prove them wrong.
Wow.

Vanderbilt has won 4 in a row -- two of the four on the road -- and is still underdog in all 5 of its remaining games.

Talk about bulletin board material.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

historybill wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:31 pm
Versus75 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:06 am Vanderbilt is underdog in all remaining reg season games, according to ESPN, including @LSU and home versus MSU.

Must prove them wrong.
Wow.

Vanderbilt has won 4 in a row -- two of the four on the road -- and is still underdog in all 5 of its remaining games.

Seriously. I just did a google search looking for "bubble watch" to see if we got any mentions. I found a site that was updated yesterday. They seeded all the NCAA teams. Then had a bubble cut line. Then listed other teams that were "out", but maybe still have a vague chance. They listed Florida at #79. They continued to list teams, getting to Ohio State ... 11-14 Ohio State ... 3-11 in the conference Ohio State ... lost 11 of their last 12 Ohio State ... at number 95, and justified leaving them in, because if they somehow run the table and end the regular season at17-14 (9-11) they'd have a win over Purdue and be a compelling case.

Vandy, on the other hand, was not on the list. At all. Not even in the, well if they ran the table they'd be 19-12 (12-6) at the end of the regular season with wins over UT, Ark, Auburn, and Kentucky and likely be 4th place in a conference that figures to get 6 or 7 bids ... sort of way.

So yeah. We aren't respected.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

mathguy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:51 pm

Must prove them wrong.
Wow.

Seriously. I just did a google search looking for "bubble watch" to see if we got any mentions. I found a site that was updated yesterday. They seeded all the NCAA teams. Then had a bubble cut line. Then listed other teams that were "out", but maybe still have a vague chance. They listed Florida at #79. They continued to list teams, getting to Ohio State ... 11-14 Ohio State ... 3-11 in the conference Ohio State ... lost 11 of their last 12 Ohio State ... at number 95, and justified leaving them in, because if they somehow run the table and end the regular season at17-14 (9-11) they'd have a win over Purdue and be a compelling case.

Vandy, on the other hand, was not on the list. At all. Not even in the, well if they ran the table they'd be 19-12 (12-6) at the end of the regular season with wins over UT, Ark, Auburn, and Kentucky and likely be 4th place in a conference that figures to get 6 or 7 bids ... sort of way.

so our guys must go out and win respect. that’s the best way to get it, no?
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

docdore wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:00 pm
mathguy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:51 pm

Wow.

so our guys must go out and win respect. that’s the best way to get it, no?
it seems logical to think that a victory over auburn would force bracketologists to at least mention us in bubble discussions….and that a loss would virtually eliminate dance possibilities (short of winning the sect, which isn't completely beyond the realm of possibility)….no??
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

If we finish the year 4-1 we will be 18-13 / 13-6 and will have won 8 of last 10. I don't see how that doesn't make us a bubble team if there is any consideration for how you are playing recently. It might take 5 wins to make it if we were to lose our tournament opener but if we go 1-1 in the tournament we will be at 19 wins even if we drop one more regular season.

In any event for the first time in a while the games at the end of the regular season really matter for post season play and that makes them much more exciting.
Locked Previous topicNext topic