Post-game handshakes

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

HarpoMarx
Ensign

Post-game handshakes

Post by HarpoMarx »

Anyone notice the piggies didn't want to shake hands after the game?

historybill
Admiral

Re: Post-game handshakes

Post by historybill »

I'm wondering if this is the first time that's ever happened in the history of the SEC. Seriously... is this the first time in the 90 years of the conference that an entire TEAM stormed off the court and not a single player shook hands?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Crybabies. Especially in light of the screw job at the end of the first half that saw Manjon get ejected for defending his player who was taunted and stepped on by Arky’s Black. Who got no call whatsoever.

Stack was proud of Ezra in the postgame comments. Said he did exactly what he should’ve in that situation getting his guy’s back. The taunting may have bitten Arky in the behind.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

historybill wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:38 pm I'm wondering if this is the first time that's ever happened in the history of the SEC. Seriously... is this the first time in the 90 years of the conference that an entire TEAM stormed off the court and not a single player shook hands?
it reflects their punk coach.
Georgiadore
Captain

Post by Georgiadore »

I was wondering what had happened. I know that during covid-era games, teams would just wave - but I thought the handshake lines had fully resumed.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Just poor sportsmanship
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

It was smart unless you want a postgame brawl. Arkansas would never have behaved in the handshake line. And Stute might have been a problem also. Maybe the refs suggested it or the coaches were smart enough to know that that would have been a probable disaster. Best thing that could have happened was no handshake line.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

docdore wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:05 pm
historybill wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:38 pm I'm wondering if this is the first time that's ever happened in the history of the SEC. Seriously... is this the first time in the 90 years of the conference that an entire TEAM stormed off the court and not a single player shook hands?
After Texas fired its coach there has been speculation about his replacement. Musselman's name has been thrown around as one candidate. So has Cal's name, as well as the Alabama coach. Texas prides itself on running clean programs (whether true or not). The local sports writers are negative on Musselman and, of course, Cal.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

docdore wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:05 pm
What do you get when you cross a greaser and a weasel?

The Arkansas basketball coach
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:41 pm Crybabies. Especially in light of the screw job at the end of the first half that saw Manjon get ejected for defending his player who was taunted and stepped on by Arky’s Black. Who got no call whatsoever.

Stack was proud of Ezra in the postgame comments. Said he did exactly what he should’ve in that situation getting his guy’s back. The taunting may have bitten Arky in the behind.
Manjon pushed the guy (not hard, but enough to fall over) and caused his technical by then jawing off. Stackhouse didn't so much praise him as not criticize him, showing understanding without dwelling on it. I heard the same thing you did. It sounds like he listened to what the players told him regarding it being about Black standing over QMB, so he of course thought that was bad, but Stackhouse also said he couldn't see it well. Manjon did not help the situation by pushing Black forward, if he meant to push him away from QMB. Causing him to fall from the push probably was an accident. Maybe if QMB's legs hadn't been in the way Black would have just been moved out of the way (since he had no business standing over Q) instead of falling over QMB.

It was a good game and our players got psyched up over the crybaby mockery. Winning is the way to answer mockery. None of this had to do with Manjon. I wish Manjon had just kept his cool and stayed in the game but he didn't.

However if Manjon hadn't gotten that technical then Black wouldn't have done his crybaby mocking and we wouldn't have gotten amped up to win like we did so it all worked out to our benefit that Black dissed us on our home court.

Our players were not going to take that. So they took out their anger the perfect way -- by wallopping them on the scoreboard. That's the hardest way to do it but there are no shortcuts like pushing or yelling that work as well as just letting the scoreboard talk. That is taking the highroad and it's the best way.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

Did anyone see what Arkansas did exactly after the game? I saw our players walking toward their area, I think, but they had apparently gone immediately to the locker room? I saw Stute kind of wave bye to the general direction of a corner exit where Ark might have gone out and then our players went and did a circle around the court for the fans.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

memphisVUalum wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:46 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:41 pm Crybabies. Especially in light of the screw job at the end of the first half that saw Manjon get ejected for defending his player who was taunted and stepped on by Arky’s Black. Who got no call whatsoever.

Manjon pushed the guy (not hard, but enough to fall over) and caused his technical by then jawing off. Stackhouse didn't so much praise him as not criticize him, showing understanding without dwelling on it. I heard the same thing you did. It sounds like he listened to what the players told him regarding it being about Black standing over QMB, so he of course thought that was bad, but Stackhouse also said he couldn't see it well.
I’m talking about the postgame interview with Kevin Ingram on the VU radio broadcast.
Stack said, “A guy can’t come and stand over my teammate and actually put his foot on him and not expect somebody to respond. Lucky I wasn’t playing. But you know, I’m proud of Edge…I want our guys pulling for each other. You got your brother down there on the floor somebody’s standing on top of him, I’ll take that every time ‘cause we’re a team. We can weather the storm and we got other guys capable to step out on the floor if we lose one of our brothers.”

There may be some minor errors in my transcription but that is about as close to what he said as I can get.
He absolutely praised Manjon and this is the type of attitude and fire I love in Stack. And it is being instilled in his players. ALSO, I think he is instilling some discipline, to boot. I am stunned that Miles Stute kept his composure as well as he did yesterday given some of his prior moments. I can’t help but think that is a result of some conversations with coaches.

And I don’t mind Stack picking up the technical at all. He had a right to be pissed at the officiating crew and to let them know that they botched that call. Especially that they had to think about it right at half time.
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

On TV it looked to me like one of our coaches signaled Arkansas to just exit and not do handshake line.
docdore
Vice Admiral

now....

Post by docdore »

is coach able to can some of his team's emotion/moxie from yesterday and release it in games ahead? if so, this season could yet be fun. it was NOT in the pre-conference part of the schedule, but hope springs eternal in vandymaniacs.....
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:01 pm

Manjon pushed the guy (not hard, but enough to fall over) and caused his technical by then jawing off. Stackhouse didn't so much praise him as not criticize him, showing understanding without dwelling on it. I heard the same thing you did. It sounds like he listened to what the players told him regarding it being about Black standing over QMB, so he of course thought that was bad, but Stackhouse also said he couldn't see it well.
I’m talking about the postgame interview with Kevin Ingram on the VU radio broadcast.
Stack said, “A guy can’t come and stand over my teammate and actually put his foot on him and not expect somebody to respond. Lucky I wasn’t playing. But you know, I’m proud of Edge…I want our guys pulling for each other. You got your brother down there on the floor somebody’s standing on top of him, I’ll take that every time ‘cause we’re a team. We can weather the storm and we got other guys capable to step out on the floor if we lose one of our brothers.”

There may be some minor errors in my transcription but that is about as close to what he said as I can get.
He absolutely praised Manjon and this is the type of attitude and fire I love in Stack. And it is being instilled in his players. ALSO, I think he is instilling some discipline, to boot. I am stunned that Miles Stute kept his composure as well as he did yesterday given some of his prior moments. I can’t help but think that is a result of some conversations with coaches.

And I don’t mind Stack picking up the technical at all. He had a right to be pissed at the officiating crew and to let them know that they botched that call. Especially that they had to think about it right at half time.
I heard the postgame show. I don't know if you recorded it or went from memory, but it seems kind of excessive to go this far to try to lobby for making brawls in response to someone else's poor sportsmanship the official athletic dept university sports policy representing VU.

As I said before, what I heard him say about that was very brief and it did not sound like he intended to come off as praising a brawl. He said what little he said very quickly, despite the way you are elevating it to some sort of major statement and went on to something else and the impression I got was he just wanted to not criticize his own player and then move on.

I also don't mind him trying to commiserate with his own players but I think that he also used the word discipline in something he said elsewhere after the game so I'm sure he'll guide Manjon how to avoid that sort of problem. Nobody said you don't respond, but you don't do it by fighting or pushing someone down unless you want to get thrown out and then the jerk that started it wins. The way the team really responded to that and the crybaby face taunt was by playing better in the second half.

I never attacked Stackhouse for getting a technical. All coaches get them. I think he would do better to have an assistant involved in handling refs if he thinks he is likely to get one every time he doesn't like a call though. He can help by pointing out the taunt and ask why it wasn't called and things like that. He or an assistant was the one who needed to "respond", not Manjon, and to do it quickly and calmly by pointing it out and yelling to the ref while Black was still standing over QMB. There were also ways for Manjon to assist his teammate without even touching or talking to Black.

The ref's call on Manjon was understandable. What was not understandable was why the refs did not also at a minimum give Black a technical since refs had given Liam for taunting movements one in a prior game. Surely if they know the head tap they should know the "standing over a player" taunt.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

So ... something like a fightclub in the locker room to get these guys in the right state of mind? (it's a joke ya'll). Maybe Stack should help with the football team so the'll have an edge to them as well. I really enjoyed this toughened version of the team. Wright, Robbins and Lawrence have never played better. Thomas also didn't let the team down in any way as his 13 points were timely.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

cc11316 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:28 pm So ... something like a fightclub in the locker room to get these guys in the right state of mind? (it's a joke ya'll). Maybe Stack should help with the football team so the'll have an edge to them as well. I really enjoyed this toughened version of the team. Wright, Robbins and Lawrence have never played better. Thomas also didn't let the team down in any way as his 13 points were timely.
Lots of things can be said to psyche kids up (such as in the locker room) and then they just need to respond on the court making baskets like they certain DID DO yesterday instead of pushing people over in front of a ref so that we wind up losing tech fouls. We are lucky we had the technicals this one time because the "crybaby" face taunting guy then set off a really good half of basketball for our players playing well.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

memphisVUalum wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:28 pm

I heard the postgame show. I don't know if you recorded it or went from memory, but it seems kind of excessive to go this far to try to lobby for making brawls in response to someone else's poor sportsmanship the official athletic dept university sports policy representing VU.

As I said before, what I heard him say about that was very brief and it did not sound like he intended to come off as praising a brawl. He said what little he said very quickly, despite the way you are elevating it to some sort of major statement and went on to something else and the impression I got was he just wanted to not criticize his own player and then move on.

I also don't mind him trying to commiserate with his own players but I think that he also used the word discipline in something he said elsewhere after the game so I'm sure he'll guide Manjon how to avoid that sort of problem. Nobody said you don't respond, but you don't do it by fighting or pushing someone down unless you want to get thrown out and then the jerk that started it wins. The way the team really responded to that and the crybaby face taunt was by playing better in the second half.

I never attacked Stackhouse for getting a technical. All coaches get them. I think he would do better to have an assistant involved in handling refs if he thinks he is likely to get one every time he doesn't like a call though. He can help by pointing out the taunt and ask why it wasn't called and things like that. He or an assistant was the one who needed to "respond", not Manjon, and to do it quickly and calmly by pointing it out and yelling to the ref while Black was still standing over QMB. There were also ways for Manjon to assist his teammate without even touching or talking to Black.

The ref's call on Manjon was understandable. What was not understandable was why the refs did not also at a minimum give Black a technical since refs had given Liam for taunting movements one in a prior game. Surely if they know the head tap they should know the "standing over a player" taunt.
I found a recording. That quote is nearly verbatim. I don’t know how much competitive sports you’ve played in your life, but I am completely on board with Stack’s take. You protect your teammates when the situation warrants it. Refs completely botched that situation. Manjon wasn’t inciting a “brawl” as you put it. He got fired up to defend a teammate. I’m all for that. And that mentality sure seemed to be the catalyst for a win.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:44 pm
memphisVUalum wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:28 pm

I found a recording. That quote is nearly verbatim. I don’t know how much competitive sports you’ve played in your life, but I am completely on board with Stack’s take. You protect your teammates when the situation warrants it. Refs completely botched that situation. Manjon wasn’t inciting a “brawl” as you put it. He got fired up to defend a teammate. I’m all for that. And that mentality sure seemed to be the catalyst for a win.
I was listening after the game and I agree with you. That is exactly what Stack said.
Locked Previous topicNext topic