New TIP time!

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: New TIP time!

Post by MrMemorial »

As Georgia found out vs UNA...there is no such thing as a guaranteed win vs anybody in D-1 anymore.

AA&M played better than the sum of their parts. The 7-footer (transfer from Morehead St.?) quietly had a 14 & 11 double-double. We are still playing the opposite role...under-playing the talent that's on the roster.

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Go Vandy! wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:54 pm Glad for the win, but it never should have been that close.
As you, glad for the win, but our performances against weak competition are not acceptable. We don't have the greatest talent but there is something not quite right in the psyche of this team. Shooters who can't shoot. Frustration leading to unacceptable behaviors on court. Focus and concentration seems lacking. Frosh barely seeing the court.

CJS needs objectives clearly defined for him by the AD ; Candace certainly knows basketball and can come up with reasonable goals for the remainder of the season. If he doesn't meet those standards, then he needs to go.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

8 for 34 from 3 pt. Stute 1-8 and Trey 1-6....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Vandy187187 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:37 pm
VUPKS wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:08 pm Thomas and Stute combined 3-15. Virtually all open shots.
Rough night. And then Stute kicks the opponent out of frustration.
they're all rough nights with this team (unless it's a day game).
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

fldore wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:55 pm latest kenpom has them 330. if we have to worry about "sleeping" on a team with a losing record rated outside 300, talk about a low bar. so far this year they have lost to north alabama, south alabama, tenn st, samford, and norfolk st. Half of their wins have come against schools named Fisk and Rust.

We should win this by 30.
you're thinking of the old days. we rarely win by even 10 anymore.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Thomas and Stute 2-14 from 3pt land.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Manjon plays his heart out...what a motor!! Liam plays hard too. QMB is regressing! Why is Dort not getting some of QMB's minutes??
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Nashmann wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:19 pm Manjon plays his heart out...what a motor!! Liam plays hard too. QMB is regressing! Why is Dort not getting some of QMB's minutes??
Fantastic idea!
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:05 pm As Georgia found out vs UNA...there is no such thing as a guaranteed win vs anybody in D-1 anymore.

AA&M played better than the sum of their parts. The 7-footer (transfer from Morehead St.?) quietly had a 14 & 11 double-double. We are still playing the opposite role...under-playing the talent that's on the roster.
that was MoreHOUSE. Not even a D-1 school....
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Lewis, Dort, and Dia all with 0 minutes. Why???

The big man on AAM was s getting away with moving screens all game…That stated, we aren’t going to win many games shooting <30% for over 10 minutes. Glad we pulled it out in the end.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Listened to the first 30 minutes while at work. Was not able to concentrate on the game much. I heard Shelby hit a 3-pointer and thought he may be turning things around.

Got to watch the last 10 minutes and was surprised that we were trailing for much of that time. Also looked at the stats and saw that Shelby missed his next four shots!

Would like to see Shelby and Dort play more, but I can understand based on how unproductive they have been in their limited play.

Dort (who did not play tonight) has played the equivalent of 1 1/2 games for a starter. His totals:
16 rebounds (excellent), 7 blocks (fantastic), 6 turnovers (oops), 7 points (ouch) and 12 fouls (eek!).

Shelby has played the equivalent of 1 start. His totals:
11 points (okay), 3 rebounds (okay for a guard), 0 turnovers (excellent!), 0 assists (unheard of for a guard), and 3-14 shooting -- ALL 3-POINTERS! Ouch again.

BTW: Where was Paul Lewis tonight?
He has not done well so far, but has recently come off an injury.
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

With about 2 minutes or less left in the game, Robbins made a monster block and made the next goal for us, I thought this to be the turning point in the game. I am not sure why QMB took so many minutes from Robbins. I thought Liam was the much better producer tonight.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Lewis has battled injury and concussion protocol. He actually passes the eye test on the court and logged much more time than Shelby on the summer trip scrimmages.

I wondered if Liam was on limited minutes for rest purposes. Perhaps has something ailing him. Wasn’t his injury that kept him out so long last season foot related? Big men put a lot of strain on their bodies. (All conjecture here; no actual knowledge of the cause for his limited PT.)

Agree that I’d have liked to see Dort get some of QMB’s minutes, though he doesn’t run the offense as well as QMB (who does a lot of little things that don’t show up in the stat sheet quite well - he’s the best screener on the team and moves the ball well, too). But Dort is an animal on defense. QMB was getting beat to the rim a bit too often yesterday. However, some of that is the scheme that has him playing away from the basket to double team, and he doesn’t have the mobility to get back and defend the rim that Dort brings to the table. Of course, Dort is far more foul prone.

There’s always a trade off… I don’t envy the coaching staff having to manage minutes. Stack said in post game that they’re still trying to figure out personnel schemes and rotation shifts that will lead to the best chance of winning. I suspect most of us had hoped they would have a better sense of that at this point. Like many have said, once SEC play starts, it sure appears to be a rough season in store. Would love to see our young guys getting more court time at that point. They’ll lose, sure. But maybe they’ll actually decide to stick around for a few seasons and not bolt for “greener pastures.” It’s a tricky thing these days, it seems. You have to keep guys happy and give them PT to encourage them to stay around. Still, Stack played Dylan Disu a lot as a FR/SO and he bolts for TX.
Side note: for those who don’t think Stack has a penchant for developing players, take a quick peek at what Disu has done at TX the last two seasons - nowhere NEAR the stats he was putting up at VU, and perhaps a cautionary tale for those who think the portal always offers better outcomes. I know TX is very good this year, but Disu was getting much more highlight pro exposure and stats at VU. But then, playing winning basketball obviously matters. I guess it’s all about perspective. I think he hurt his pro chances quite a bit with the transfer, but maybe that was less important to him.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:05 pm As Georgia OM found out vs UNA...there is no such thing as a guaranteed win vs anybody in D-1 anymore.

It was actually Ole Miss that was stunned by UNA...oops!

But here is one of note... #348 EIU stuns 32 point favorite Iowa. :oops:
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:42 am Lewis has battled injury and concussion protocol. He actually passes the eye test on the court and logged much more time than Shelby on the summer trip scrimmages.

I wondered if Liam was on limited minutes for rest purposes. Perhaps has something ailing him. Wasn’t his injury that kept him out so long last season foot related? Big men put a lot of strain on their bodies. (All conjecture here; no actual knowledge of the cause for his limited PT.)

Agree that I’d have liked to see Dort get some of QMB’s minutes, though he doesn’t run the offense as well as QMB (who does a lot of little things that don’t show up in the stat sheet quite well - he’s the best screener on the team and moves the ball well, too). But Dort is an animal on defense. QMB was getting beat to the rim a bit too often yesterday. However, some of that is the scheme that has him playing away from the basket to double team, and he doesn’t have the mobility to get back and defend the rim that Dort brings to the table. Of course, Dort is far more foul prone.

There’s always a trade off… I don’t envy the coaching staff having to manage minutes. Stack said in post game that they’re still trying to figure out personnel schemes and rotation shifts that will lead to the best chance of winning. I suspect most of us had hoped they would have a better sense of that at this point. Like many have said, once SEC play starts, it sure appears to be a rough season in store. Would love to see our young guys getting more court time at that point. They’ll lose, sure. But maybe they’ll actually decide to stick around for a few seasons and not bolt for “greener pastures.” It’s a tricky thing these days, it seems. You have to keep guys happy and give them PT to encourage them to stay around. Still, Stack played Dylan Disu a lot as a FR/SO and he bolts for TX.
Side note: for those who don’t think Stack has a penchant for developing players, take a quick peek at what Disu has done at TX the last two seasons - nowhere NEAR the stats he was putting up at VU, and perhaps a cautionary tale for those who think the portal always offers better outcomes. I know TX is very good this year, but Disu was getting much more highlight pro exposure and stats at VU. But then, playing winning basketball obviously matters. I guess it’s all about perspective. I think he hurt his pro chances quite a bit with the transfer, but maybe that was less important to him.
Isn't Disu from Texas so that probably explains the move?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:31 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:42 am Lewis has battled injury and concussion protocol. He actually passes the eye test on the court and logged much more time than Shelby on the summer trip scrimmages.

Isn't Disu from Texas so that probably explains the move?
Disu averaging 16.8 minutes, 6.6 points, and 3.3 rebounds. About what he would have averaged a half here.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Disu averaged 15 points and an SEC-leading 9.2 rebounds his sophomore year at VU. Putting up pedestrian numbers for a starter by comparison in this his “senior” season at TX. Still has the COVID year available, and sure looks like he will have to take advantage of it before turning pro unless he wants to go to Europe or the G-league.
Locked Previous topicNext topic