Brutal blow to Class of 2022--RB Maurice Edwards and LB Daniel Martin off the team

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Brutal blow to Class of 2022--RB Maurice Edwards and LB Daniel Martin off the team

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

[tweet][/tweet]

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: Brutal blow to Class of 2022--RB Maurice Edwards and LB Daniel Martin off the team

Post by Seadog73 »

Huh?? What the ...??
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Brutal blow to Class of 2022--RB Maurice Edwards and LB Daniel Martin off the team

Post by OldDude »

Obviously can't be academics; has to be significant behaviors . Can't wait to see where they end up. Not going to shed any tears.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Almost had to be something that happened in Hawaii. Both were in line to get playing time and had made big impressions during camp. Then neither got into the game; Edwards stood to be the third RB into the game with Smith out, but instead it was Chase Gillespie.

I'm sure there were strict rules for on- and off-the-field conduct, but getting kicked off the team means something serious must have occurred.
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

What happens in Hawaii STAYS in Hawaii
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Week long trip to a resort. Not surprised something like this happened. Did it have to be with a 4 star recruit?
goodtimes05
Ensign

Post by goodtimes05 »

Why wait for the transfer portal to open when you can have a little fun instead?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sucks, but better poor character traits (if that was the issue) are uncovered now than a couple years down the road a few days before a bowl game.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

It would have to be bad to get kicked off the team week 1 of your first season.

On the other hand, they were 2 of the best recruits. I would like to know what happened but I doubt we will ever know.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

Reminded of legendary 1980 USA Hockey Coach Herb Brooks when asked why, despite being demanding in every other regard, he didn't implement a curfew for his team:

"Because inevitably the best players would break it."

Jokes aside, just have to trust CCL here IMHO. No one is more invested than him in the type of culture he needs to have to win.
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

I remember a VU LB (Bradford) that went to the Titans as an UDFA.

He had a training camp rules infraction (curfew or unauthorized visitor or something) and was sent packing immediately.

I'm sure the expectations were made clear. They were not met.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Both guys were early enrollees, wonder why it took so ling for both to figure out they weren't a good match. They had been on the team since January.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Sucks for them. Probably just being young and stupid. Hard lesson to learn. Kudos for coach for not compromising on the culture he's building. Ultimately, that culture, embraced by the whole, will produce the results we desire.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:53 pm Both guys were early enrollees, wonder why it took so ling for both to figure out they weren't a good match. They had been on the team since January.
Didn't remember that, thanks. Suppose it could be academics ? Not attending class ?
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

buffy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:26 pm...Probably just being young and stupid. Hard lesson to learn.
I could write a book about what not to do at every age, including this one (68). Stupidity might be the reason, but it's no excuse. An appropriate punishment. And the younger you learn the lesson(s), the better. (I guess.) If i ever get to that point, i'll let you know.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Re, Brutal Blow: I don't think either of these guys was on the depth chart.

It might be more of a brutal blow to them than it is to the program. I certainly did some things as a college freshman that Coach Lea would not tolerate today. I hope they find their way - maybe even find their way back to Vanderbilt football.

I do agree maintaining standards will help the roster in the long run.
The alternative can build a bad culture, and then you risk losing a large number of players all at once.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

sadly, other schools will welcome them with open arms, so the lesson will be short lived
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

They still have to deal with rejection that they can't control. They still learn that not everyone will tolerate nonsense.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

They still have to deal with rejection that they can't control. They still learn that not everyone will tolerate nonsense. And just as important, the team understands the consequences.
Showingold
Lieutenant

Post by Showingold »

My guess is that they were involved in an infraction along with Smith. That’s why none played on Saturday. And then then Martin and Edwards refused to accept their medicine / causes issues in the locker room and/or were repeat offenders. So they were kicked off, while Smith is still on suspension, paying his dues.
Locked Previous topicNext topic