AD Lee: New logo is 'board-approved', we're not going back

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

AD Lee: New logo is 'board-approved', we're not going back

Post by BrentVU »

Vanderbilt vice chancellor for communications and marketing Steve Ertel and athletic director Candice Lee knew that there would be a strong reaction to the university changing its logos. If there wasn't a reaction, Lee said, she would've been concerned as it would have been a sign that people didn't care...

In the early days of the new logo, Vanderbilt has been the butt of some jokes for changing what some saw as an iconic star V logo. An online petition has circulated calling for the university to revert back to the old logos.

Despite the public backlash, Lee indicated that these logos are board-approved and the university does not plan to go back to the old ones.

More...
Tennessean: Why Vanderbilt decided to change its logos in controversial rebrand (by Aria Gerson)
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 172915001/

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: AD Lee: New logo is 'board-approved', we're not going back

Post by geeznotagain »

Our alma mater is pretty damn dated. Let's change it while we're at it. And the name of the university -- I won't even go there ...
Versus75
Admiral

Anticipating a "strong reaction" ...

Post by Versus75 »

... the board or somebody in Kirkland should not have made the change without more input from alums.

We could have saved Vanderbilt a lot of grief and a boatload of cash by nipping this thing in the bud.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

I fully expect a "report" to surface that Commodore Vanderbilt conducted business with persons who utilized slave labor in some fashion. And perhaps someone will "discover" information that the Commodore owned property that once belonged to Native Americans. Etc, etc.

It is just a matter of time before our mascot is under fire-in fact I am surprised this has not happened yet.

We can expect a full battle for the soul of this University-it is already underway.

And by the way, after reading the Tennessean report about the song that immediately followed the National Anthem at the women's basketball game (I never personally witnessed that), I wrote a personal letter (and email) to the AD and to the Chancellor about the inappropriateness of that combination-as if they are somehow related.

My personal letter has gone unanswered.
CoachH
Petty Officer

Post by CoachH »

So Vanderbilt finally admitted that they don’t care what the fans want?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

jpmando wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:19 pm
My personal letter has gone unanswered.
Good!!

Vanderbilt University is not Bob Jones University.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

We are making a change screw the alums & Vandy fans....who cares what they think!! Board ok'd it. Whose decision was it? They should of had a contest at least....something to draw more support!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Oh gosh -- what is it with these folks who think the anthem honoring the sacrifices of our war dead and wounded, for over 200 years, deserves some solemn reflection? Maybe for 2 minutes or so?

Nah-who cares about that stuff any more?
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

What song was sung at the girls' game after the Anthem?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Once again-my info comes from a Tennessean article, Dec 29th 2021. I never was there in person to verify.

The song immediately following the Star Spangled Banner: " Lift Every Voice and Sing" .

According to Wikipedia, this song was written in 1900, and embraced as the "Negro National Anthem" by the NAACP around 1920. The Wikipedia info is extensive-I am not sure how to link to it, but it is easily found. The song continues to be utilized currently.

The disrespect for our National Anthem continues. To link the above song to the Anthem, in public, just floors me still.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

You're "floored" - ??

Good!!

Vanderbilt University is not Bob Jones University.

However if you are interested in getting out of the closet and being an open Bob Jones U. booster...

https://www.bjubruins.com/

https://www.bjubruins.com/sports/2012/9 ... 23107.aspx

https://shop.bju.edu/
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

jpmando wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:48 pm Once again-my info comes from a Tennessean article, Dec 29th 2021. I never was there in person to verify.

The song immediately following the Star Spangled Banner: " Lift Every Voice and Sing" .

According to Wikipedia, this song was written in 1900, and embraced as the "Negro National Anthem" by the NAACP around 1920. The Wikipedia info is extensive-I am not sure how to link to it, but it is easily found. The song continues to be utilized currently.

The disrespect for our National Anthem continues. To link the above song to the Anthem, in public, just floors me still.
Wow…just…wow. How on earth could you possibly consider the performance of “Lift Every Voice and Sing” after the National Anthem as disrespectful??? I mean. Seriously?!? It’s a song about hope and the promise of freedom. You know, those totally unAmerican virtues… And if we want to talk about sacrifices for our country, it’s not as if slaves didn’t make sacrifices for America. Likewise, are you under the illusion that African Americans haven’t made contributions to our armed forces?

Honestly, I’m completely flabbergasted that this is the song you are calling into question. In my opinion, the way the National Anthem is performed as if it’s a Grammy solo opportunity 95% of the time nowadays instead of treated as the song is intended is far more disrespectful than having the temerity to perform it alongside “Lift Every Voice and Sing.”
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

jpmando wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:48 pm According to Wikipedia, this song was written in 1900, and embraced as the "Negro National Anthem" by the NAACP around 1920. The Wikipedia info is extensive-I am not sure how to link to it, but it is easily found. The song continues to be utilized currently.

So that's the part that offends you: embraced as the "Negro National Anthem" by the NAACP around 1920.

Thanks for letting us know, although it was pretty easy to guess.

Btw, we sing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" at my Presbyterian church. It's about freedom and the struggle for it.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Our National Anthem deserves its own place, not connected to any other anthem, in my opinion.

I guarantee you that we won't be hearing any other tunes "mated" with our National Anthem at our baseball games-at least as long as Corbin is in charge. Not a religious song, not a race song, not country tunes, not rock and roll, not Elvis.

He understands the sacrifices of all American servicemen, including blacks, whites, Asian-Americans, native Americans, etc-ALL deserve a solemn respect-totally separately.

What a shame the song is now somehow controversial, and so often disrespected. And yes I agree 100% that the way it is often delivered is ridiculous. It needs no interpretation nor "link" to any other group or agenda.

A bit of true reflection and understanding is called for-ah but we cannot have that, can we, in this so-called modern world?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

There are numerous references to religious faith in Lift Every Voice & Sing. Maybe the Archie Bunker equality haters are actually closet atheists posing as far-right extremists who found it easy to hijack a thread about the "Star-V logo" and turn it into a way to protest a song about God and equality as their false flag.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

When I'm attending or watching a college sporting event or NFL game I don't particularly care what the political, religious, or social views of the participants are. If the National Anthem offends, and is felt to state such views, then I much prefer having no anthem whatsoever vs.having a Point/Counter Point scenario. It was funny when Dan called Jane an ignorant slut every week on SNL, but no sporting event followed.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Vote with your wallet.

I don’t like the new logo, nor do I like the way this has been handled by Kirkland Hall. I’ll not buy any Vandy stuff with the new logos. (Loading up with old logo stuff).

And I knew the public backlash wouldn’t matter.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

PS this thread went sideways quick. What the heck?
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

vu2003rpl wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:16 pm PS this thread went sideways quick. What the heck?
Because there is no Coffee Shop forum and some people can't resist promoting their biases.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

The star in the Star V has true historical significance. And lots of history is being systematically removed, including at VU. And the process will continue-- a certainty if nobody expresses their opinion on these matters.
Locked Previous topicNext topic