Walk-off Win

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Walk-off Win

Post by charlestonalum »

What a finish! Winners find a way to win even after it appeared for 8 innings that we could not manufacture clutch runs. Hope we learned that key hits are what wins games. Really a sensational comeback not to let all the previous missed scoring opportunities get in our head.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Versus75
Admiral

I despise that term …

Post by Versus75 »

… unless it applies to a bases loaded walk, balk, hit batsman or catcher interference.

Even on a home run, you will rarely see the player WALK home.

If Kolwyck wasn’t running hard the game would not have been over. And the play at the plate with Carter Young was closer than I expected.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: I despise that term …

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:10 am … unless it applies to a bases loaded walk, balk, hit batsman or catcher interference.

If Kolwyck wasn’t running hard the game would not have been over. And the play at the plate with Carter Young was closer than I expected.
I think the term applies to the team in the field, who have to walk off before the inning is over, having failed to get the third out that would have won the game for them (or sent the game into additional innings).

From the Champlair.com:

Walk-Off Win: The Definition
Basically, a walk-off win is when a game is decided at the bottom of the ninth – or extra innings – when the home team hits the winning run.

To qualify for a walk-off win, it must be the HOME team who hit the home run in the final inning of the game, meaning the visiting team must ‘walk off’ the field in a humiliated fashion.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: Walk-off Win

Post by vandy05 »

Glad to see we won. I turned the game off and went to bed, assuming we weren't going to pull it out.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Exciting game to be at in person. After the basketball game a lot of fans streamed into baseball stadium to watch the finish. Tate came up with the monster hit with a gapper sent to lcf and advanced on the throw home to get to 3rd. As I was leaving I was thinking who gets credit for the winning "rbi"? I presume Vaz does as he was at plate when the wild pitch came by to score the run although he did nothing to earn it.

Interestingly, when I returned to vehicle and turned on radio for post game.....Rhett Wiseman was doing the color. He said the winning under pressure like this will pay BIG dividends in showing younger guys how to pull out close ones an would be large in getting VU back to Omaha!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:10 am … unless it applies to a bases loaded walk, balk, hit batsman or catcher interference.

I an still at a loss as to why they gave the SS an error on the throw. It was bang bang and the catcher dropped it.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

commadore wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:48 pm

I an still at a loss as to why they gave the SS an error on the throw. It was bang bang and the catcher dropped it.
Agree. Seems like the correct ruling should be double, 3rd taken via Fielder's Choice on the SS throw home. I didn't see an error either...we'll maybe a couple mental errors on 1)the LF diving to try to catch Kolwyk's double, and 2)the SS throwing home and giving up the base which led to Kolwyk scoring on the next pitch.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

cjdore wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:08 pm Exciting game to be at in person. After the basketball game a lot of fans streamed into baseball stadium to watch the finish. Tate came up with the monster hit with a gapper sent to lcf and advanced on the throw home to get to 3rd. As I was leaving I was thinking who gets credit for the winning "rbi"? I presume Vaz does as he was at plate when the wild pitch came by to score the run although he did nothing to earn it.
Interestingly, when I returned to vehicle and turned on radio for post game.....Rhett Wiseman was doing the color. He said the winning under pressure like this will pay BIG dividends in showing younger guys how to pull out close ones an would be large in getting VU back to Omaha!

Anyone know anything about the last RBI?
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

cjdore wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:47 pm
cjdore wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:08 pm Exciting game to be at in person. After the basketball game a lot of fans streamed into baseball stadium to watch the finish. Tate came up with the monster hit with a gapper sent to lcf and advanced on the throw home to get to 3rd. As I was leaving I was thinking who gets credit for the winning "rbi"? I presume Vaz does as he was at plate when the wild pitch came by to score the run although he did nothing to earn it.

Anyone know anything about the last RBI?
There was no RBI scoring the final run, it scored on a defensive deficiency (passed ball). Not all runs are batted in.
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

Dores Walk Off Wolverines

Not sure how they ruled the passed ball as it looked more like a wild pitch as it was so far outside.

Last inning video on Twitter
Last edited by Haptown on Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Haptown wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:05 pm Dores Walk Off Wolverines

Not sure how they ruled the passed ball as it looked more like a wild pitch as it was so far outside.
Kind of like the error given to the shortstop on the throw home. Was no more an error than I am a retired MLB allstar.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

commadore wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:12 pm
Haptown wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:05 pm Dores Walk Off Wolverines

Kind of like the error given to the shortstop on the throw home. Was no more an error than I am a retired MLB allstar.
Yep and yep.
boatrocker
Captain

Post by boatrocker »

Depends on whether Kolwyck was stopping at second before the ball got away. I don’t recall seeing a replay that showed one way or the other.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

boatrocker wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:58 pm Depends on whether Kolwyck was stopping at second before the ball got away. I don’t recall seeing a replay that showed one way or the other.
I think Commodore's contention is that the SS's throw wasn't off-line, that 1)Young scored before the throw arrived, 2)the throw was relatively accurate, and 3)if an error should have been assigned on the play, then it should've been given to the catcher for not cleanly catching the ball. Commodore, if I'm misstating your contention, please advise.

My position all along is that an error did not allow Kolwyk to advance to 3rd. He 1)certainly stopped at 2nd on the throw from LF to the SS cutoff man, (i.e., did not run non-stop for a triple), but 2)took 3rd on the cutoff man's throw home. It was well-executed baserunning by Kolwyk, just like we've been coached since Little League. Make your turn at 2nd, watch what the cutoff does, if he throws to a base other than the one you're at or the one you're going to, take the next base if you judge you can make it. It was a Fielder's Choice (SS throw home) not an error, which allowed Kolwyk to advance.

I'm with you, Boatrocker, I would like to see the replay from a couple angles to confirm all this.
boatrocker
Captain

Post by boatrocker »

I thought the throw home bounced and the catcher tried to catch and swipe the tag in a single motion when the ball got away. If so, every official scorer I have seen will give the error on the throw. BTW, I don’t necessary agree with that as some hops are easier to catch than others.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

boatrocker wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:51 pm I thought the throw home bounced and the catcher tried to catch and swipe the tag in a single motion when the ball got away. If so, every official scorer I have seen will give the error on the throw. BTW, I don’t necessary agree with that as some hops are easier to catch than others.
I agree with everything you say. The question is did Kolwyk advance after the ball bounced away (i.e., an error), or did he advance when the SS threw home. I only saw one replay, but it looked to me that he advanced on the throw (FC), not the loose ball at home (E).
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Ok, I need to reassess my conclusion. I just watched the replay that Haptown posted earlier in this thread (thanks, Hap, I just noticed that you had posted it), and based on that one replay, it appears that Kolwyk did not head to 3rd until the ball bounced away which would make the advance an error, not a FC. I'm with Commodore, the SS relay home was a decent throw, the catcher in trying to make a sweep tag failed to catch the ball and instead knocked it away. Based on that one inconclusive replay where we don't see Kolwyk until he is about halfway to 3rd, I would change my scoring judgement to E-2. Of course, they didn't ask me 😉
boatrocker
Captain

Post by boatrocker »

Agreed. Just to keep thing going, I thought the last play should have been a wild pitch and not a passed ball. When you miss your spot by 3-4 feet with fast ball, it is very difficult to catch - especially when it has arm side run.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

boatrocker wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:36 pm Agreed. Just to keep thing going, I thought the last play should have been a wild pitch and not a passed ball. When you miss your spot by 3-4 feet with fast ball, it is very difficult to catch - especially when it has arm side run.
Agree, that was a Wild Pitch, not a Passed Ball. As an old catcher, though, gotta say that I'm biased ;)
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Levon wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:47 pm
boatrocker wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:58 pm Depends on whether Kolwyck was stopping at second before the ball got away. I don’t recall seeing a replay that showed one way or the other.
I think Commodore's contention is that the SS's throw wasn't off-line, that 1)Young scored before the throw arrived, 2)the throw was relatively accurate, and 3)if an error should have been assigned on the play, then it should've been given to the catcher for not cleanly catching the ball. Commodore, if I'm misstating your contention, please advise.

My position all along is that an error did not allow Kolwyk to advance to 3rd. He 1)certainly stopped at 2nd on the throw from LF to the SS cutoff man, (i.e., did not run non-stop for a triple), but 2)took 3rd on the cutoff man's throw home. It was well-executed baserunning by Kolwyk, just like we've been coached since Little League. Make your turn at 2nd, watch what the cutoff does, if he throws to a base other than the one you're at or the one you're going to, take the next base if you judge you can make it. It was a Fielder's Choice (SS throw home) not an error, which allowed Kolwyk to advance.

I'm with you, Boatrocker, I would like to see the replay from a couple angles to confirm all this.
Exactly.
Locked Previous topicNext topic