Frank Martin fired at South Carolina

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Frank Martin fired at South Carolina

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Carnage in the SEC continues.

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Re: Frank Martin fired at South Carolina

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I am sad about this one. I really like and respect him, even though he can be a wild man. I wonder if he will just retire now- or commentate.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I was hoping for a rematch with Martin next season.

Maybe we can get his Presbyterian team to come to Nashville for a game.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Very puzzling move. They over-achieved this year, and in my opinion should have been given a ticket to the dance, along Texas A&M, over those final teams from the annually overrated big 10.

I watched a piece on him, great story and seems like a really good guy.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

While Bruce "show cause" Pearl and Kelvin "show cause - bigtime" Sampson are in the dance. :roll:

Well, at least Will Wade won't be around for a while. :)
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

A sports writer in Charleston wrote a piece about why he needed to be fired several days ago. The people in this state have incredible expectations for their athletic teams led by Clemson who has been lucky with their football. SC can never expect to dominate in the SEC - it is just unrealistic. I will hand it to their baseball team for beating #1 Texas over the weekend in a series in Columbia and they do have 2 national championships in that sport and a number in WBB, but they expect them in all sports and well...
Steelcitydore
Seaman

the metaphor of South Carolina basketball

Post by Steelcitydore »

I've always had a lot of respect for South Carolina basketball. A lot of Vandy's more talented teams lost to them when the Gamecocks just had a certain scrappyness about them.

I heard a quote, "it's not about playing good when you play good. It's about playing good when you play bad. And we play bad, as good, as any team in the country."

So many times, South Carolina wasn't a "good" team, but sometimes it's better to have just have that "fight" than actual talent.

There are seasons of life where I have referred to myself as "South Carolina basketball," as a metaphor.

I'm not exactly doing well, but somehow, someway I'll have just enough spunk to get through.

People talk about these past few years with COVID. Wherever we go, whatever we do, something's just a little odd with the pandemic. But just like South Carolina basketball, we just keep pushing through.
Locked Previous topicNext topic