Former OL Tyler Steen being heavily pursued by Alabama, others

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Former OL Tyler Steen being heavily pursued by Alabama, others

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Pretty eye-opening list of suitors, including Bama, LSU, NC State, USC, UCLA, and Penn State. Steen was a grad transfer and intends to pursue an MBA.

https://alabama.rivals.com/news/alabama ... yler-steen

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Former OL Tyler Steen being heavily pursued by Alabama, others

Post by OldDude »

Hmmm. If he has been accepted and chooses USC or UCLA , then I can buy the academic decision. They are higher ranked. If he goes Bama , LSU or NC State then I don't see the MBA as being a major factor, it must be football. If he was accepted at USC or UCLA then he likely could be admitted to Owen.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I feel like an MBA is also largely about the network you develop. The other SEC programs have huge alumni networks, and he already has access to the VU network.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Bummer he won't be suiting up for the black and gold, but when a kid graduates, he can do whatever the heck he'd like in my mind. He don't owe me no explanation, academic or otherwise.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Certainly he owes us nothing and I wish him no ill. However his father states in the article : “The first thing he is looking for is academics. I graduated from Pepperdine, and my wife, who is an attorney, graduated from Berkeley. He wants to go to a good MBA program. He also is looking for a great winning tradition and a stable of proven coaches. "

Since his folks are Pepperdine and Berkeley grads would sure indicate that academics are important. However I stand by my observation that academics being "the first thing" makes prioritizing Bama, NC State or LSU over SC and UCLA seem odd.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

OldDude wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:23 pm Certainly he owes us nothing and I wish him no ill. However his father states in the article : “The first thing he is looking for is academics. I graduated from Pepperdine, and my wife, who is an attorney, graduated from Berkeley. He wants to go to a good MBA program. He also is looking for a great winning tradition and a stable of proven coaches. "

Since his folks are Pepperdine and Berkeley grads would sure indicate that academics are important. However I stand by my observation that academics being "the first thing" makes prioritizing Bama, NC State or LSU over SC and UCLA seem odd.
NC State would be really odd. Not overly impressive MBA program or football program. You'd think with his parents having ties to california and him looking for academics, he'd be down to USC or UCLA. And if nothing else would definitely be a better life experience for him to go out to los angeles for a year or two. But if football is his main motivation, then obviously you gotta roll tide.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

OldDude wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:23 pm Certainly he owes us nothing and I wish him no ill. However his father states in the article : “The first thing he is looking for is academics. I graduated from Pepperdine, and my wife, who is an attorney, graduated from Berkeley. He wants to go to a good MBA program. He also is looking for a great winning tradition and a stable of proven coaches. "

Those are fair points. I will just say that academics means different things to different people. While we are certainly a high brow university, many of this country's public institutions are fine places for our people to learn. I recognize your points while also wishing him the best in what he decides to pursue.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Steen committed to Alabama today. Not something you see too often--a player going from Nashville to Tuscaloosa.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Yall can badmouth Alabama all you want, but my daughter graduated from there with a 4.0. She immediately got a job in Washington, D.C., at a lobbying firm. Nine months later a senator offered her a job. She was promoted twice in 18 months. When he lost his re-election campaign, she got a new job two days after the election. Been promoted there already. To top that, she has just been accepted and given a half scholarship at Vanderbilt University's Peabody school. Will be getting a degree in administration. Her current employer is paying her to go. Shame she could do nothing with a University of Alabama education.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

commadore wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:38 am Yall can badmouth Alabama all you want, but my daughter graduated from there with a 4.0. She immediately got a job in Washington, D.C., at a lobbying firm. Nine months later a senator offered her a job. She was promoted twice in 18 months. When he lost his re-election campaign, she got a new job two days after the election. Been promoted there already. To top that, she has just been accepted and given a half scholarship at Vanderbilt University's Peabody school. Will be getting a degree in administration. Her current employer is paying her to go. Shame she could do nothing with a University of Alabama education.
The University of Alabama School of Law is ranked 25th among the nation's top law schools, according to U.S. News & World Report's annual “Best Graduate Schools” rankings for 2020. This marks the eighth consecutive year that Alabama's Law School has been ranked in the Top 30 law schools in the nation.

UAB Hospital has four medical specialties that are ranked in the top 20 in the nation, and six more are ranked in the top 50. The specialties ranked in the top 20 in the nation are Rheumatology (10), Nephrology (13), Pulmonology (16), Cardiology and Heart Surgery (18). Those in the top 50 are Gynecology (25), Diabetes and Endocrinology (28), Ear, Nose and Throat (29), Urology (34), Neurology and Neurosurgery (36), and Geriatrics (42).
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

commadore wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:38 am Yall can badmouth Alabama all you want, but my daughter graduated from there with a 4.0. She immediately got a job in Washington, D.C., at a lobbying firm. Nine months later a senator offered her a job. She was promoted twice in 18 months. When he lost his re-election campaign, she got a new job two days after the election. Been promoted there already. To top that, she has just been accepted and given a half scholarship at Vanderbilt University's Peabody school. Will be getting a degree in administration. Her current employer is paying her to go. Shame she could do nothing with a University of Alabama education.
Fiddle di dee!! Go tell it on the Bama board.
Locked Previous topicNext topic