Stackhouse can coach

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Stackhouse can coach

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

That's all. I hope he's here for the next 5 years.

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Re: Stackhouse can coach

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Agree 100%
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Would love to see him and the guys beat Bama tomorrow night - a real test, but doable.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

At this point, he's doing everything he can to make us successful. That's all you can ask. I'm thankful he's here. If he can dig up a serviceable guard or two in the portal to replace Scottie (I'm having trouble seeing him staying) and Chatman, we can do some damage.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

We have two formidable young guards incoming as it is.

Ranked as high or higher than Scottie in high school iirc
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

He was his usual frank self tonight on coaches show with candid remarks. He even quoted Nick Saban with an analytical admonition: "coach Saban says they lost the National championship because the second stringers did not practice like first stringers, and then when they had to step up they couldn't ." Message was everyone must practice like they are going to be playing. All this in reference to our guys needing to be ready cause Chatman is hurt and so is Shutie (ankle)
and Mann. Overall very complimentary of the team. They are ready for the final four games and seem "locked in." He seems to be enjoying this year
Last edited by charlestonalum on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:12 pm We have two formidable young guards incoming as it is.

Noah Shelby is the only incoming guard. Other three signees are 2 PF and a C. And while Shelby is ranked a bit outside the 247 composite top 100, it would be foolish to rely on him to the same extent the team could rely on a polished upperclassman while weening him into the college game.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Chatman, Stute and Robbins all hurt !?! I know injuries in sports happen, but dang with us it seems extensive. I swear I gave the voodoo queen a bottle of Wild Turkey like she asked, but doesn't seem to have helped.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

OldDude wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:21 pm Chatman, Stute and Robbins all hurt !?! I know injuries in sports happen, but dang with us it seems extensive. I swear I gave the voodoo queen a bottle of Wild Turkey like she asked, but doesn't seem to have helped.
Hurt as in out for the Bama game? Should have sacrificed a real chicken.
Charlie Nickens
Ensign

Post by Charlie Nickens »

I'm with Coach Stack 100%. Not going to lie. I was pretty uncertain for a while. But there was something about his passion and emotion in Lexington a couple of weeks ago that changed my mind. This man knows the game and knows how to win.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I agree that he's a good coach. No doubt the team is improving and making progress.

IMHO he's a better coach than the other ex-NBA star coaching major college MBB in the state, over at Memphis. After another couple of recruiting years, I'd like to see a Vanderbilt-Memphis game. According to the interwebs, they haven't played since 2005 and VU holds an 8-5 lead over time. Memphis is the better team right now BUT they certainly lose some games they should have won.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

OldDude wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:21 pm Chatman, Stute and Robbins all hurt !?! I know injuries in sports happen, but dang with us it seems extensive. I swear I gave the voodoo queen a bottle of Wild Turkey like she asked, but doesn't seem to have helped.
Seriously?? I knew Chatman was out but Stute & Robbins for the Bama game?? Is that true?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Chatman, Stutie and Mann, not Robbins.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Tall task, though with all the foul trouble Stute found himself in against aTm it’s essentially the same lineup. Stiffer competition, though.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:26 am
Hurt as in out for the Bama game? Should have sacrificed a real chicken.
As to Robbins, think I responded to a since edited post.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:01 am
Seriously?? I knew Chatman was out but Stute & Robbins for the Bama game?? Is that true?
As to Robbins, think I responded to a since edited post.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:22 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:12 pm We have two formidable young guards incoming as it is.

Noah Shelby is the only incoming guard. Other three signees are 2 PF and a C. And while Shelby is ranked a bit outside the 247 composite top 100, it would be foolish to rely on him to the same extent the team could rely on a polished upperclassman while weening him into the college game.
Colin Smith at 6-5 and 170 doesn't project as a power forward but he is a composite 4 star recruit.

I can recall years when we would have been doing backflips & summersaults over his signing.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Stute will be a game time decision vs. Bama and CJS didn't say Mann was out for tonight.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:24 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:22 pm

Colin Smith at 6-5 and 170 doesn't project as a power forward but he is a composite 4 star recruit.

I can recall years when we would have been doing backflips & summersaults over his signing.
https://247sports.com/player/colin-smith-46058628/

I am very excited about Smith, but I figured he would be a tall wing, but it shows here that he is listed at 6'-8", 200. Did he grow a bunch? That is a taller version of Shan Foster at the wing. Might be a bit tall for the off-guard spot, but I wouldn't start Wright at the 2.

Almost every player in the 2022 is more highly recruited than anyone we got as a freshman between MacMahon and Foster (1992 to 2004 - Fogler didn't recruit that well, and JVBK struggled as well). Maybe Mario Moore would have been higher or perhaps Billy Richmond. Starting about 2004 we got a class around this good about every 4 seasons, which while better than what had come before still wasn't that great. CBD was by far our best recruiter, which is in no small part why he was fired.) CJS started out very slowly but has made a very nice jump with this class. If he can bring in this level consistently then we will have something, as in making the tournament most season and being ranked in the top 25 more consistently.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

I know Scottie has already said that he's going to go pro, but until the ink is dry on the paper, there is still a chance.

IMO - if we were to finish really strong, there is a chance you could sell Scottie on coming back with the temptation of a team that could really contend with him at the helm. taking the scoring title and becoming a local legend. And some big NIL money and heavy promotion of him by the university.
Locked Previous topicNext topic