Stackhouse can coach

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Stackhouse can coach

Post by Ndorefin »

Scottie has said he’s in no hurry as he has 2 more years of eligibility. He knows he’s not ready and if Robbins and QMB return, I wouldn’t be surprised if he returns. I have a better feeling about it than last year, as his resume needs to conclude with an NCAA bid.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:56 pm
Almost every player in the 2022 is more highly recruited than anyone we got as a freshman between MacMahon and Foster (1992 to 2004 - Fogler didn't recruit that well, and JVBK struggled as well).
Thank you. The guys EF were recruiting at the end...the ones he poached and took to South Carolina?

Some of those were real busts. Their stats have been posted in the past on this forum.

The recap of holding out for Milburn so he could decide whether to walk-on at UK which resulted in missing out on at least one really athletic undecided prospect. Yes, that. And VBK not recruiting the guy in Coral Springs, FL where we already had a good player on the roster from? Plus Kirk Haston? Yep, Eddie and Jan had some misses.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:52 pm Scottie has said he’s in no hurry as he has 2 more years of eligibility. He knows he’s not ready and if Robbins and QMB return, I wouldn’t be surprised if he returns. I have a better feeling about it than last year, as his resume needs to conclude with an NCAA bid.

http://www.tnledger.com/editorial/Artic ... 97&print=1
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:52 pm Scottie has said he’s in no hurry as he has 2 more years of eligibility. He knows he’s not ready and if Robbins and QMB return, I wouldn’t be surprised if he returns. I have a better feeling about it than last year, as his resume needs to conclude with an NCAA bid.
If those three return, we have a great chance of making the tournament next season (assuming health). But two (or is it three) players who currently have eligibility remaining would have to transfer. I think we can all identify those who have not gotten a lot of PT as candidates, I just hope there isn't anyone who has contributed a lot this year among those that do transfer. Disu playing here healthy probably makes us at least 8-6 at this point, and probably 18-8 overall, as we probably sweep USC, and beat Temple and at least one of VCU and SMU. We would be going into the SEC-T with a likely 20-10 (10-8) record, needing 1 win to be a likely tournament team. And this is assuming he adds no value in beating a team like UT or UK or Loyola.

I think Pippen returning would have that large of an impact. Shelby gets eased in as a backup PG and PIppen can play both 1 and 2, and it takes scoring load off of everyone else. He could easily make a 3 win difference, which is the difference between say, 19-12 and 22-9. Bubble vs. 6 seed.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

MemorialMagic wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:22 pm

We’ll then. Sure seems (much as we anticipated going in) that this is his last season at VU.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:01 pm
MemorialMagic wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:22 pm

We’ll then. Sure seems (much as we anticipated going in) that this is his last season at VU.
What the heck is TN Ledger? Is that one of those free little papers you get when you leave the supermarket?

I've never heard of it. What are their credentials on having a sports section?

Not saying the article is wrong but why would they have this info and not Rivals or 247 or The Athletic which charge for content? Seems like something that should be taken with a grain of salt.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Where did he say that? In the article linked below, he says this is his last year.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I think it would be a large stretch for Pippen to return IMO. Of course, it would be awesome if he did. However, right now we need one person to transfer to accommodate the 4 incoming Freshmen(assuming Pippen leaves). Should Pippen stay, two other scholarship players would have to transfer.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Nashmann wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:00 pm I think it would be a large stretch for Pippen to return IMO. Of course, it would be awesome if he did. However, right now we need one person to transfer to accommodate the 4 incoming Freshmen(assuming Pippen leaves). Should Pippen stay, two other scholarship players would have to transfer.
Question for any NCAA rules (if there are such things anymore) gurus. If VU ended up with one , or more, players above the max, could the school remove him from the team but continue him in school as an academic scholarship student ?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Under VU's aid program, they probably could if he was poor, but with his dad worth $20 million he wouldn't get a dime.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Not what I was getting at. If we have to cut our numbers to make room for the new guys plus Pippen if he did stay, instead of pushing someone away (a player further down the list), could we keep them on academic scholarship as long as they were no longer on the team. Has a better feel than pushing someone out the door.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

OldDude wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:17 pm Not what I was getting at. If we have to cut our numbers to make room for the new guys plus Pippen if he did stay, instead of pushing someone away (a player further down the list), could we keep them on academic scholarship as long as they were no longer on the team. Has a better feel than pushing someone out the door.
I don't think they do academic scholarships any more, since pretty much everyone has a 34 ACT or better. They do a need program that supposedly keeps anyone from having to have loans when they graduate. For Scotty, that would be $0.00. He would, therefore, be able to pay if the Pippens paid his way.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

GREAT NEWS!!! Pippen will be back! That interview with McCormick was an April Fool's joke. Didn't anyone notice the date? They really put one over on us.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:24 am GREAT NEWS!!! Pippen will be back! That interview with McCormick was an April Fool's joke. Didn't anyone notice the date? They really put one over on us.
the date was Feb. 18th.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

commadore wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:58 am
Where did he say that? In the article linked below, he says this is his last year.
Why Is that surprising…it’s a fairly safe statement to make. Actually, I’m not going to waste my time finding the article, so, I’ll just say it’s a lie and I made it up!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

commadore wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:21 amthe date was Feb. 18th.
Exactiment!!!
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Well clearly he wanted to leave last year but the NBA didn't value him as high as he hoped. Unless something has changed where he really wants to finish a particular degree or his desire to stay at Vandy overrides a pro career, I'm assuming he'll likely look to leave again. And it'll just depend again on what kind of options he gets professionally.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I’m going to respectfully wait to see if he can coach before gushing praises on him at this point. So far he hasn’t taken us to the postseason. Yes he has recruited some good players but he’s also had several of his recruits hit the transfer portal.

A good coach would keep his team from making the same mistakes over and over again. That’s the problem with our team now in our close losses. Turnovers. We shouldn’t be making the same turnovers game after game after game. We should be working on that in practice. Yet game after game we cost ourselves by stupid turnovers.

We would have 3 or 4 more wins this year if we hadn’t had the turnovers. We could have beaten South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi State and possibly Auburn if we hadn’t had the turnovers.

And when we have to have a basket with the clock ticking down I don’t see CJS drawing up successful plays in that situation. Like the end of the South Carolina game. Too often we fail in critical last-second shot attempts to tie or win games. In the South Carolina game Pippin dribbled too long, he was double-teamed so he couldn’t get a shot off, he saw Stutes wide open outside the 3-point line, he tried to pass it, the buzzer sounded because he waited too long. Good coaches wouldn’t let this sort of thing happen, their teams would work on these situations in practice over and over again so the players know exactly what they have to do and how much time they have left instinctively.

Next year will be the critical year for CJS. Pippin will probably go to the draft so we won’t have his 25-30 points a game. We do have some good recruits coming in. If we can have success and get to the postseason next year then I’ll agree that CJS is a good coach.

He might be a better coach than Memphis’ coach but I don’t remember the last time we played against Memphis. Is he a better coach than Barnes? Is he a better coach than Oates? Is he a better coach than Calipari? Is he a better coach than Pearl? At this point I would say no.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Oates? You think Oates is a better coach? Then you don't know squat about hoops.

Alabama was .500 in the SEC a week ago with TONS of future NBA players. They have losses to small colleges Iona and Davidson. Did you know Stack has a better road record than Oates this season. Go look it up. I double-dog dare you to. Stack also has a better road record this season than will "strong@ss offer" wade, Mike White at Florida, Howland at Mississippi State, Buzz at A&M, Kermit at Ole Miss, Cuonzo Martin at Mizzou, and of course, almost as bad as bryce drew, Tom Arnold look-alike at Uga who is .000 on the road and .006 in the SEC.
LINK: https://www.google.com/search?q=sec+bas ... fz;st;fp;1;;
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Golddore68 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:12 am I’m going to respectfully wait to see if he can coach before gushing praises on him at this point. So far he hasn’t taken us to the postseason. Yes he has recruited some good players but he’s also had several of his recruits hit the transfer portal.

A good coach would keep his team from making the same mistakes over and over again. That’s the problem with our team now in our close losses. Turnovers. We shouldn’t be making the same turnovers game after game after game. We should be working on that in practice. Yet game after game we cost ourselves by stupid turnovers.

We would have 3 or 4 more wins this year if we hadn’t had the turnovers. We could have beaten South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi State and possibly Auburn if we hadn’t had the turnovers.

And when we have to have a basket with the clock ticking down I don’t see CJS drawing up successful plays in that situation. Like the end of the South Carolina game. Too often we fail in critical last-second shot attempts to tie or win games. In the South Carolina game Pippin dribbled too long, he was double-teamed so he couldn’t get a shot off, he saw Stutes wide open outside the 3-point line, he tried to pass it, the buzzer sounded because he waited too long. Good coaches wouldn’t let this sort of thing happen, their teams would work on these situations in practice over and over again so the players know exactly what they have to do and how much time they have left instinctively.

Next year will be the critical year for CJS. Pippin will probably go to the draft so we won’t have his 25-30 points a game. We do have some good recruits coming in. If we can have success and get to the postseason next year then I’ll agree that CJS is a good coach.

He might be a better coach than Memphis’ coach but I don’t remember the last time we played against Memphis. Is he a better coach than Barnes? Is he a better coach than Oates? Is he a better coach than Calipari? Is he a better coach than Pearl? At this point I would say no.
Last second shots have been a problem for us since the 1980s. When you take a ream that usually takes 20 seconds to run through their offense, but he dribbles to the 10 second mark to start, the results are not going to be good.
Locked Previous topicNext topic