Best 20 point loss I've ever seen

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jeff93
Lieutenant

Best 20 point loss I've ever seen

Post by jeff93 »

Crazy to say that.

Feel bad for Pippen. Just a little help would go so far.

Don't know what Disu was thinking. He was one of the most interesting returning players in the SEC. Huge rebounder. Now he is an afterthought in Austin.

This team is running into a buzz saw. UT just beat UK by much more than they beat us.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Best 20 point loss I've ever seen

Post by commadore »

Concur.
Except it was 14 points.
Last edited by commadore on Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I concur. Especially the part about Disu being dumb. Less playing time, less of a chance of NBA noticing him, and a worse degree. The trifecta of dumbness
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

jeff93 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:06 pm Crazy to say that.

Feel bad for Pippen. Just a little help would go so far.

Don't know what Disu was thinking. He was one of the most interesting returning players in the SEC. Huge rebounder. Now he is an afterthought in Austin.

This team is running into a buzz saw. UT just beat UK by much more than they beat us.
They shot the ball from three uncharacteristically well and we went cold from behind the arc in the 2nd half. that is pretty much the final margin. turnovers were even and we came close in rebounding considering we missed a lot of shots and they didn't. Did a good job of getting to the line and converting. But we had to play near perfectly against them and hope they didn't shoot well and neither happened.

It is scary thinking how we replace Pippen if he leaves. Only two guards who will theoretically return played and scored 5 points. Thomas avoided mistakes at the cost of detaching himself from the action - 3 pts, 1 steal 1 foul and zero assists, rebounds, or fouls drawn in 19 minutes isn't bad, but is a massive dropoff from what pippen brings. Dezonie had 2 points 2 boards 1 to and 1 steal in 9 minutes. Both have a long way to go to be starters in this league.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Hadn't thought to look to see how Disu was doing once he bailed. Sounds like he missed the first 10 or so games as he worked back from injury. And that the Longhorns were going to ease him back in. Not sure if his minutes have gone up in the last month or if he is continuing to be a part time role player. If his lack of minutes is due to the injury, it's very likely he wouldn't be getting a ton of playing time here either.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

I would save judgement on Disu until we see what happens with him next season. No doubt he would've made much more of a contribution at VU this year though.
Mcflash
Lieutenant

Post by Mcflash »

As of a few days ago Disu was averaging 4.3 ppg and 12 minutes a game.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:28 pm I concur. Especially the part about Disu being dumb. Less playing time, less of a chance of NBA noticing him, and a worse degree. The trifecta of dumbness
Obviously I am extremely biased, but think Disu made a really bad decision as to his future. But he is a kid and went with his heart, not with his head, has to bear the consequences.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:44 pm
It is scary thinking how we replace Pippen if he leaves. Only two guards who will theoretically return played and scored 5 points. Thomas avoided mistakes at the cost of detaching himself from the action - 3 pts, 1 steal 1 foul and zero assists, rebounds, or fouls drawn in 19 minutes isn't bad, but is a massive dropoff from what pippen brings. Dezonie had 2 points 2 boards 1 to and 1 steal in 9 minutes. Both have a long way to go to be starters in this league.
Replacing Pippen will be tough but I almost think Chatman's contribution could be missed even more - he brings a veteran toughness leadership that this team seems to rely on. I wish there was a stronger word than "glue guy" because I think it understates Chatman's value to the team.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

alathIN wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:59 am
Replacing Pippen will be tough but I almost think Chatman's contribution could be missed even more - he brings a veteran toughness leadership that this team seems to rely on. I wish there was a stronger word than "glue guy" because I think it understates Chatman's value to the team.
Catalyst? Bondo?
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
vandyhank
Lieutenant

Post by vandyhank »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:28 pm I concur. Especially the part about Disu being dumb. Less playing time, less of a chance of NBA noticing him, and a worse degree. The trifecta of dumbness
A U Texas degree is good, especially if you plan to live in TX. Disu is from TX.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

alathIN wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:59 am
Chatman is very good, but his value is more noticeable because we've seen how we play when he isn't available. Pippen we get for 30-35 mpg and only see him off the court for a couple of minutes at a time. It isn't necessarily that they are historically great, more that we haven't developed anyone in 3 years to take their place. Not even to replace them, but at least be reasonable starters in the SEC.
Locked Previous topicNext topic