Historic Class?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Historic Class?

Post by Nashmann »

Can some explain why this class is ranked so high or historic? I don't mean this as a slam. Seems we always signed 3 star players with maybe a couple 4's and may a 2 or so. Is it that we signed all 3 stars? Is it cause we signed so many? Is it that they are rated high 3 stars? I know we always sign a few really good ones and there are some on paper really good players this time. Just curious what criteria is used in recruiting rankings.

I like the fact all the DB's are over 6 feet. Looks like some real speed too! Glad Langston's brother transferred here. I like our Germany connection too. I guess Swann got a 4 star rating from some service. His videos look really good.

We still need some transfer help with a couple of seasoned o-line and d-line players.

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Historic Class?

Post by Ndorefin »

I totally agree! It is a good class for Vanderbilt and I’m certain they are all great guys and students. We are in the SEC and I’m sure we will end up with the 14th rated class. We need to have a more 4 star players and an occasional 5 to compete. I just don’t see it….I will continue to support them with everything I have in me, but I hope we improve enough to be able to sign some top flight recruits with our schedule every year.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I think the question was what makes this class so high or historic. Obviously, there's talent in the class but if you look at it on paper, the class as a whole seems to fit the profile of previous classes - mainly 3 star guys with a 2 star or 4 star sprinkled in. It's just a big class. That's not to be a Debbie Downer but like Nashmann, I would like to know what's different about this class.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

Not all 3 stars are the same. There is a range of scores that correlate to a 3 Star overall ranking. The raw score for these recruits is much higher than recruits Vandy has traditionally gotten.

So if a score of 70-80 qualifies as a 3 star this class has more 77-79 than than 71-74 type players. This particular class is not your typical Vandy class
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

These new guys look like they expect to win.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Fair question, but after 0-9 and 2-10, whether historic or not, it’s a dang miracle to get a class like this. We’ll see how “historic” in a few years.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

It's a very good class considering the last two seasons. Barton Simmons was brought in to find the right guys, and we have to trust that some of these kids will develop beyond expectations. Sure, It will probably rank last in the SEC, but the gap will be smaller that what we saw on the field last year.
As a side note, the two teams we are closest to, KY and Missou, have had truly historically great classes by their normal standard.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

While Florida is a true dumpster fire right now, 247 has us 22 points ahead of them. We are basically 10, 16, and 18 points behind the next 3 teams - Ole Miss, MSU and USCe. It will be interesting to see where we are ranked in February.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

The classes xCJF won with weren't rated higher than this class. They just had a lot of players who turned out good, a few who turned out great, and very few total busts.
Historically other SEC schools have had higher attrition to academic and disciplinary issues. I've seen some retrospective class rankings where you look again when they're juniors and seniors and the Vanderbilt classes looked better in comparison when you account for who's left. These were done during the Franklin era, who knows now with transfers etc. But the overall point is that if VU really develops a culture where guys want to stay and the coaches are good at player development, that boosts the ultimate class strength compared to schools who don't do those things as well.
Roster = the sum of recruiting, retention, and development. Not just recruiting by itself.
VUgearhead
Rear Admiral

Post by VUgearhead »

Why do I get the feeling Vanderbilt might become a stepping stone, not just for coaches looking to move up the ladder, but players as well?

They sign on to play for Vandy for an opportunity to play SEC ball; maybe get some premium showtime, then hit the portal for a 'greener' NIL pasture.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

We can all look at the glass and argue whether it is half-full or half-empty 'til we are blue in the face.

The majority of these guys had offers from higher profile schools. I am thankful for those who committed to Vanderbilt.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Our 3 O-linemen are rated mid to low 3 stars. Doubt much help next year. Hope Coach Blazek gets more out of the line than he did this year.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

VUgearhead wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:33 pm Why do I get the feeling Vanderbilt might become a stepping stone, not just for coaches looking to move up the ladder, but players as well?

They sign on to play for Vandy for an opportunity to play SEC ball; maybe get some premium showtime, then hit the portal for a 'greener' NIL pasture.
Because you're a rational observer. Its easy enough to do so and I think guys will try, just like coaches have always done. If you can find greener pastures for yourself, most people would do it. I agree that it is coming.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

VUgearhead wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:33 pm Why do I get the feeling Vanderbilt might become a stepping stone, not just for coaches looking to move up the ladder, but players as well?

It's an interesting question and certainly could become an issue.
So far, though, it seems like more Vanderbilt players have transferred out to lower level programs/conferences than "leveled up."
Of recent transfers out, Donovan Kaufman is the one I think we miss most, and yes, he transferred to Auburn which probably would give him more NIL opportunities.
Running down the 247 Vanderbilt transfer page, though, I see a lot more former VU players going to Missouri State, Louisana Tech, TSU, Marshall, etc.

When I look at the players we've lost compared to the players we gained, I feel like we're mostly ahead.
Bulovas was a little erratic this year, but he hit some big FGs when they mattered. We won a couple games on his leg and I don't think any of his misses lost us any games.
We lost Keyon Henry-Brooks and gained Re Davis - which injury aside I'd say was a wash or even a slight win.
There are some DBs who probably would have seen the field this year, but other than Kaufman none I'm deeply sorry to see go.
Dmitri Moore is another player I would prefer not to have lost.
But at least half of the transfer out names are not familiar to me.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Example:
Ga Tech's leading rusher is transferring to Alabama.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

vandy05 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:06 pm

Because you're a rational observer. Its easy enough to do so and I think guys will try, just like coaches have always done. If you can find greener pastures for yourself, most people would do it. I agree that it is coming.
Yep. It highlights the importance of recruiting the right kind of kid for Vanderbilt. If you simply recruit the best physical talent, we're in for a world of hurt. We need good talent that generally stays around four or five years.
VUgearhead
Rear Admiral

Post by VUgearhead »

buffy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:44 am
vandy05 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:06 pm

Yep. It highlights the importance of recruiting the right kind of kid for Vanderbilt. If you simply recruit the best physical talent, we're in for a world of hurt. We need good talent that generally stays around four or five years.
Well, I guess we shouldn't be looking for the blockbuster recruiting class with 'High 3' and 4-star recruits, as they are probably more likely to be 'in it for the $$". We need to focus more on a quality coaching staff that can find and recruit kids with potential and who can coach them up to the caliber of players that can make an SEC-caliber team.

That's just a long-winded way of saying we need to find all of the needles in the haystack.
Locked Previous topicNext topic