Had a crazy idea, thought I'd run it by you

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Had a crazy idea, thought I'd run it by you

Post by BrentVU »

I've never attended two college football games on the same day before, but might do it this season...

I booked my tickets to Denver for the Colorado State game (Sept. 11) some time back. Kickoff is not until 8 pm Mountain Time, 9 pm Central (probably the latest kickoff for a Vandy game ever) in Fort Collins.

Turns out that Texas A&M is playing the Colorado Buffaloes at Mile High Stadium that afternoon at 1:30 Mountain Time. It would be a great thrill to see a game at Mile High, where tickets are hard to come by; but this game is far from a sellout. If the game is over by 5 pm, that would give me 3 hours to make the trip from Denver to Fort Collins (normally about an hour's drive, I'm told). Usually, I like to arrive in time to meet the team bus, but I might pass that up just this once.

Am I crazy? Any locals want to chime in on whether that's a feasible idea or not, with parking and gameday traffic issues factored in? (Anyone interested in doing the same, you can DM me.)

nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: Had a crazy idea, thought I'd run it by you

Post by nyyankeeDore »

If you are up for 8 hours of in person football, that sounds like a fine idea.
When I was growing up in Gainesboro, and UUT games (in the eastern time zone) were usually in the afternoon and VU played mostly at night, I had several older friends who routinely attended games in Knoxville and Nashville on the same day.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

The area around mile high has really grown since I lived there but you could easily do that. Was actually in Denver last week at a rockies game before backpacking in rocky mtn national park. Wasn't looking too closely but surprised by how much around downtown and mile high has filled in. Some of the vast parking lots have gone away. But Im sure parking nearby or parking a couple miles away and using the light rail to get there will be very easy. I'd bet more A&M fans are there than Buffs fans to be honest.

You'd miss out on the tailgating before the vandy game but if that's not a big deal to you, you'd have plenty of time. I'd just want to make sure I'm in the car and heading north to Ft Collins by 6 at the absolute latest. If in the car by 5 should be fine. Just double check if there is construction or anything else that could delay it.

Where are you staying? Ft collins?

Also the haze and smoke from the California wildfires is really thick in denver. If that kind of thing bothers you be prepared. Couldn't see the mountains from coors field which is very rare.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I'm not local to the area, but I think it's a great idea. Two years ago I took in an afternoon game in Boulder and followed it up with an MLS match that evening in Denver.
cdores
Lieutenant

Post by cdores »

Fun for sure. If I was younger and more ambitious, I'd be up for that. Years ago, a couple of friends and I went to Grant Field for a noon kickoff of GT v. NC State, then drove to Auburn for a night game between Auburn & Ole Miss.

When I was a kid, my parents had GT season tickets so Dad and I went to an early GT - Clemson game, left at halftime, caught a bus to Atlanta Stadium for the Braves - Mets NLCS playoff game in '69.

Last one, one of my faves when I was living in CA, we ran a 5K in Huntington Beach, played 18 at Rancho Park, and then went to a night game at Dodger Stadium.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

I've been to two college games in the same day. Back in 2006, I went to the Vanderbilt-Michigan game in Ann Arbor, and then later that day drove to Cleveland for a MAC/BIG 10 game at what is now First Energy Stadium. The next day, I went to Detroit for a Lions/Falcons game. Three games in 24 hours. I say it's not crazy at all--go for it!
AirForceDore
Rear Admiral

Post by AirForceDore »

30 something years ago when I was in college Vandy was playing at Bama. I went to that game, a 1:00 start I believe and then went down the road to a game at Miss State. I think they were playing Auburn but could be mistaken. Vandy had played Bama pretty close but got worn down in the fourth. The MSU game, well there are plenty of reasons I don't remember certain aspects, but I do remember having a good time at the game, getting confused looks as I was in Vandy gear at a game that had nothing to do with us, then partying all night long in a field, and waking up with the worst hangover of my life. I would do the football part again in a heartbeat!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Along the same lines of doing something ridiculous yet ridiculously fun, I went to the first round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament on a Thursday one year in Winston-Salem, then drove to Charlotte at the conclusion of the fourth game of the day (around midnight) and watched four games on Friday in Charlotte, then drove back to W-S and watched two games on Saturday--then drove back to Charlotte for the final two games on Sunday.

Madness.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

It all depends on how vested you are, I guess.

If my dates are correct, several of us went to Knoxville on November 26, 1977, to watch Vandy lose 42-7 to UT. Later that night, we had the "opportunity" to watch Tennessee Tech beat the basketball 'Dores 72-71. I still remember it as one of the longest days of my life.

Of course, my facts could be wrong. There are many Vanderbilt athletic results I have attempted to erase from my memory. Every now and then, though, someone just has to remind me. Thanks a lot.

Seriously, enjoy yourself and thanks for all you do to help us Vandymaniacs survive.
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

A few years ago one of my friends & I attended the UCLA vs Memphis game at the Liberty Bowl In Memphis, left midway through the 4th quarter and drove to Nashville to watch Vandy knock off a ranked K-State team. It was a fun day of football!
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Totally different sport and no driving required but a former college roommate and I once watched 4 baseball games in Hoover all in one day. Fun times but thats a loonngg damn day. I recommend it but you got to be careful who you go with… luckily neither of us were too chatty because one of us might have killed the other. Ha!
Locked Previous topicNext topic