tickets
vucommodores link by sport
forum
FTB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
MBB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
WBB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
BAS_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_

Violation of Forum Rules

For non-Vanderbilt sports discussion including but not limited to politics, science, the arts, travel, technology, entertainment, food & drink and more.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

kerrigjl
Site Admin

Violation of Forum Rules

Postby kerrigjl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:04 am

Including ad hominem attacks, will result in a warning, then a ban (of variable length, depending on the number and frequency of infractions). Please respect your fellow posters.

"I am a Commodore and we don't jump ship just because our team is a few points behind." -- Maj. John D. McGillis

vebiltdervan

Re: Violation of Forum Rules

Postby vebiltdervan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:21 am

Question of clarification, please: Does the mutilation of other posters' usernames (e.g., "Doreknob") constitute an "ad hominem attack"? Or would this be determined on a case-by-case basis, depending on the degree of mutilation?

I pose this question as an essentially disinterested party, but I have to admit: I find the specific, low-level mutilation cited above to be remarkably childish behavior on the part of those who persist in it. I make no representations as to whether those who invented it may have felt "justified" by preceding behavior.

GoldNation

Postby GoldNation » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:34 am

Would love to see better enforcement on the rivals "war room" forum. Some people needed to be banned there recently and were not.

vebiltdervan

Postby vebiltdervan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 am

GoldNation wrote:Would love to see better enforcement on the rivals "war room" forum. Some people needed to be banned there recently and were not.
The moderation (& even more, the self-restraint) that we have here is what separates the Coffee Shop as a desirable forum for rational discussion, overall, as compared to the thousands of insane, worse-than-useless "War Rooms" everywhere across the Web.

GoldNation

Postby GoldNation » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:54 am

vebiltdervan wrote:
GoldNation wrote:Would love to see better enforcement on the rivals "war room" forum. Some people needed to be banned there recently and were not.
The moderation (& even more, the self-restraint) that we have here is what separates the Coffee Shop as a desirable forum for rational discussion, overall, as compared to the thousands of insane, worse-than-useless "War Rooms" everywhere across the Web.

The "war room" on rivals is the paid only VU premium posters. It is sports, not current events. Some egregious name calling went un-banned.

Matheta

Postby Matheta » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:42 pm

vebiltdervan wrote:Question of clarification, please: Does the mutilation of other posters' usernames (e.g., "Doreknob") constitute an "ad hominem attack"? Or would this be determined on a case-by-case basis, depending on the degree of mutilation?

I pose this question as an essentially disinterested party, but I have to admit: I find the specific, low-level mutilation cited above to be remarkably childish behavior on the part of those who persist in it. I make no representations as to whether those who invented it may have felt "justified" by preceding behavior.

Hmmm, might this be addressed about me? Why yes, since I am the sole user of the "mutilation". If the answer is "yes" then I believe I am to be granted something for the scores of times I have been addressed as "MADtheta" should I not? And should the poster who quite "cleverly" has posted about my "cervical stenosis" [intentional reference to the narrow neck like passage forming the lower end of the uterus.] might reflect on THEIR usage.
In fact, I have felt myself "mocked" frequently by the same poster who raises the question.

GoldNation

Postby GoldNation » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:15 pm

I've never seen anybody on here addressed as "MAD" anything. And furthermore, cervical stenosis is a legit back/neck issue that has nothing to do with the "female plumbing system." Exact medical definition of cervical stenosis: Cervical stenosis is a slowly progressive condition that pinches the spinal cord.

Please link to the post where somebody called anybody else on this forum "MAD" anything, as I don't believe it ever happened. Furthermore if somebody on here actually does suffer with the back/neck condition known in the medical community as "cervical stenosis" they have my sympathy for a full recovery because it does not sound pleasant.

Doreknox

Postby Doreknox » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Matheta wrote:
vebiltdervan wrote:Question of clarification, please: Does the mutilation of other posters' usernames (e.g., "Doreknob") constitute an "ad hominem attack"? Or would this be determined on a case-by-case basis, depending on the degree of mutilation?

Hmmm, might this be addressed about me? Why yes, since I am the sole user of the "mutilation". If the answer is "yes" then I believe I am to be granted something for the scores of times I have been addressed as "MADtheta" should I not? And should the poster who quite "cleverly" has posted about my "cervical stenosis" [intentional reference to the narrow neck like passage forming the lower end of the uterus.] might reflect on THEIR usage.
In fact, I have felt myself "mocked" frequently by the same poster who raises the question.
'

As long as I remember, no one on Vandymania has called you Madtheta. I certainly never did, although for some strange reason you feel compelled to "mutilate" my name. If you cannot stand answering questions and being stood up to when you post silly or questionable things, then find another way to retort besides name calling. FYI - you are the primary person who engages in mocking on this board.

vebiltdervan

Postby vebiltdervan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:12 pm

vebiltdervan wrote:Question of clarification, please: Does the mutilation of other posters' usernames (e.g., "Doreknob") constitute an "ad hominem attack"? Or would this be determined on a case-by-case basis, depending on the degree of mutilation?...

Matheta wrote:Hmmm, might this be addressed about me? Why yes, since I am the sole user of the "mutilation". If the answer is "yes" then I believe I am to be granted something for the scores of times I have been addressed as "MADtheta" should I not? And should the poster who quite "cleverly" has posted about my "cervical stenosis"...reflect on THEIR usage...In fact, I have felt myself "mocked" frequently by [vebiltdervan].
Modest first point, it's no longer true that you're the "sole user" of the insulting username version, which frankly immediately became more of a concern to me than if you had remained the sole practitioner.

And as I stated, you might very well feel that your doing so was a deserved retaliation. I don't know that, but—without giving offense, I hope—I don't care. My primary interest is that both/all parties cease these small rudenesses that accumulate and eventually lead to major rudenesses.

I wish I had recalled the "MADtheta" mutilation, & used it for my example question. It should not be necessary to say, but I dislike the "MADtheta" mutilation every bit as much, more actually, than the example I cited.

MA, if you feel that I have have mocked you, I apologize unreservedly. I don't recall intending anything close to mockery towards you in a fairly long time. Obviously, we've both expressed some anger & frustration directly, but I've tried to keep any mockery out of there. One or two others on this forum, I cannot claim to be so at peace with in my own mind, but that's different, and like the beef cow said of the bale of hay, I hope it becomes left behind.

The present thread is an excellent opportunity for every single one of us to start afresh, and without an insistence on repeating or rehashing old grudges, and to quit keeping score of grievances for repayment.

Matheta

Postby Matheta » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:06 pm

GoldNation wrote:I've never seen anybody on here addressed as "MAD" anything. And furthermore, cervical stenosis is a legit back/neck issue that has nothing to do with the "female plumbing system." Exact medical definition of cervical stenosis: Cervical stenosis is a slowly progressive condition that pinches the spinal cord.

Please link to the post where somebody called anybody else on this forum "MAD" anything, as I don't believe it ever happened. Furthermore if somebody on here actually does suffer with the back/neck condition known in the medical community as "cervical stenosis" they have my sympathy for a full recovery because it does not sound pleasant.

I am thinking that the same unnamed poster frequently used "MadTheta" or variations of that, ex I never used MADtheta, I always used MadTheta who continued to use "cervical stenosis" after be corrected that it is "lumbar stenosis" I'm not about to plow through scores of pages in the old forum to find the references.

Matheta

Postby Matheta » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Doreknox wrote:
Matheta wrote:

'

As long as I remember, no one on Vandymania has called you Madtheta. I certainly never did, although for some strange reason you feel compelled to "mutilate" my name. If you cannot stand answering questions and being stood up to when you post silly or questionable things, then find another way to retort besides name calling. FYI - you are the primary person who engages in mocking on this board.

Frequently, either that or other iterations of MADtheta has been used in reference to me. For a period of time I believe I graciously answered your questions until it started to become clearly evident that your questions carried the intent to basically attack. At that point I started to view you not as one with whom to discuss but rather as a provocateur.

AtrumEtAureum

Postby AtrumEtAureum » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Matheta wrote:
GoldNation wrote:I've never seen anybody on here addressed as "MAD" anything. And furthermore, cervical stenosis is a legit back/neck issue that has nothing to do with the "female plumbing system." Exact medical definition of cervical stenosis: Cervical stenosis is a slowly progressive condition that pinches the spinal cord.

I am thinking that the same unnamed poster frequently used "MadTheta" or variations of that, ex I never used MADtheta, I always used MadTheta who continued to use "cervical stenosis" after be corrected that it is "lumbar stenosis" I'm not about to plow through scores of pages in the old forum to find the references.

http://www.scout.com/college/vanderbilt ... nd-loretta

dorepleganger

Postby dorepleganger » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 pm

AtrumEtAureum wrote:
Matheta wrote:

http://www.scout.com/college/vanderbilt ... nd-loretta

Hat tip to you, A&A.

GoldNation

Postby GoldNation » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:27 pm

July of 2016? That looks like an isolated typo from a poster that never even posts on this new forum that I recall seeing.

Is that really worth a persecution complex over? Probably not.

kerrigjl
Site Admin

Postby kerrigjl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Yes. Two posters have been given one-week bans today, with one month (then one year) bans to follow for continued infractions. This forum is unique in that disparate views are encouraged, and vigorous discussion is fine, as long as you don't attack others personally (name calling, questioning intelligence, etc). Unfortunately, continued infractions in the "wild west" of VM will result in the entire forum being shut down and sports-only discussion being allowed. No one who posts here regularly (which, admittedly, I don't) wants that.

Keep your noses clean. Now - fight!
"I am a Commodore and we don't jump ship just because our team is a few points behind." -- Maj. John D. McGillis

kerrigjl
Site Admin

Postby kerrigjl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Happy to discuss moderation of other forums via private message here or on the respective forum.

fldore

Postby fldore » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Who got axed?
CNN - "The facts don't drive the narrative, the narrative drives the facts. Welcome to the party, pal!"
VU# Fl@g @AD

vebiltdervan

Postby vebiltdervan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Waiting for a mild apology from Vantioch in 5,346...5,347...5,348 seconds! ;)

vandy05

Postby vandy05 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:23 am

fldore wrote:Who got axed?

I know cjdore did because they apparently got axed for one of their replies to one of my posts.

Return to “Black and Gold Coffee Shop”