USC 2, Vandy 1 Final

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

USC 2, Vandy 1 Final

Post by admin »

I had feeling we'd be lucky to win more than 1 game on this trip. I told my son that, "Hey, they have Pac-12 refs." The same ones that screwed us in Arizona. We had the tying run on third in the top of the 9th but couldn't get him home.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: USC 2, Vandy 1 Final

Post by Levon »

admin wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:26 pm I had feeling we'd be lucky to win more than 1 game on this trip. I told my son that, "Hey, they have Pac-12 refs." The same ones that screwed us in Arizona. We had the tying run on third in the top of the 9th but couldn't get him home.
Really? You thought the umps determined these 2 games and the 2 losses in Phoenix? Did you think the strike 3 call on Duvall was a bad call? Looked like a great pitch to me. And if the umps were so bad how did VU pitching give up only 4 earned runs, the last one on the fluky kick save off Brown's foot? That was just plain old bad luck. This team will either grow up and learn to win or not. Adversity is a great teacher.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's true I told my son that Vandy would lose at least 2 out of 3 because of the Pac-12 refs. I didn't say that that actually happened though. I couldn't really tell watching a small screen on my computer and listening to homer announcers. We do have some growing up to do just like we did last year.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

admin wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:08 pm It's true I told my son that Vandy would lose at least 2 out of 3 because of the Pac-12 refs. I didn't say that that actually happened though. I couldn't really tell watching a small screen on my computer and listening to homer announcers. We do have some growing up to do just like we did last year.
I agreed about potential results this weekend, and sadly you were right about losing at least 2 of 3, but this team is so young and even minor injuries to the 3 most important players certainly doesn't help (echoes of VU basketball injuries?? :o ). But there is so much pitching on this team, and though the young bats aren't producing a lot of runs, they put the ball in play (I don't have the stats in front of me, but Ks are down by 2-3 per game from the past few years while the walk rate has remained fairly constant) just not when most needed. Timely hitting has to get better. And the defense has to improve, especially, not to be overly-dramatic, when it seems every error allows a run to score. I can only assume Davis Cooper, errrra, Cooper Davis didn't start yesterday because of that inexplicable throw to no one between home & 3rd against UCLA that led to the eventual winning run. He's a terrific leadoff man, but he's not a particularly good outfielder (I still have visions of his throw home on the winning (losing?) run vs Austin Peay last year when a decent throw likely gets the runner but his throw sailed over the cutoff man's head a good 10-12 feet up the 1st base line...sorry for the digression). Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts and observations very much and this forum to talk about things.
WestCoastDore
Vice Admiral

Post by WestCoastDore »

As these are huge RPI related games for them, we got the best pitchers from both UCLA and USC.

The UCLA game was a sellout and per a USC student I spoke with, yesterdays' crowd was the largest he has seen in three years. He also said that many consider Vandy as a farm team for the Dodgers as there are currently five alumni in the organization. (I only count four, but hey). so many were there to see young potential Dodger talent.

Other than the first pitch, the USC pitcher was very sharp yesterday, us not so much. And yes, our bats were disappointing.

However, and again per the USC student, the grass in their field is notoriously slippery and their clay heavier than norm.. Excuses sure, but the first run was due to a slip in the outfield and our infield play seemed slightly off. Today's match with TCU, as both are equally field familiar, will give insight on the truth of the home field advantage of USC's grass and clay.

Finally, their winning run was pure luck. If it hadn't ricocheted our pitcher, is was a easy out at second.

Nevertheless, this trip has to be great learning opportunity for our young team.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think we are fine. We are a little better than last season pitching wise and but have taken a step back batting wise. Once we get all our guys back hitting will probably improve a lot.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

If the hitting does not improve... look for a .500 SEC record...
Locked Previous topicNext topic