Stephen Scott to return in 2019

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Announces it on Instagram.

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

That's good news.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

DeefromAtlanta wrote:That's good news.
For everybody except Duvall. I really think, given a chance to play everyday, Duvall's bat could help us. Can he play left, or first? If not maybe just DH. I haven't seen enough of his work behind the plate to know how he compares to Scott in terms of defensive skills. Corbs apparently likes Scott better there, so who am I to question?

But yes, for the team it is good news if Scott comes back for another year.
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

Ty is better defensively and has a good bat,but Scott lead cape cod last year in home runs we got 3 outstanding catchers. Had a commit from ga Will Benfeld but probably will lose him to the draft
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

there is usually no substitute for experience and the more we have the better - Scott's return is a good thing and of all the positions, catcher is probably the one that depth is key because of the daily wear and tear on players at that position. Welcome back, Steve. (I think back on my time and the senior year at Vanderbilt is my fondest memory - too bad all the players don't get to have those memories.)
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Scott can also play the outfield, so there's that possibility.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

And DH
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Great to have Scott back, but I agree that Duvall is ready to excel in an expanded role. He has put together some really strong AB's and he is 100% healthy after the TJ two years ago. We need his left handed bat. The MSU defender made a play on a ball Duvall smashed in the corner right after the Paul homer, or we'd still be playing. Duvall also smashed one deep to left center that Mangum ran down in his Friday attempt. This kid can play.

We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Commodoredave wrote:
Yeah. So many guys, only 35 spots. Anyone have any insight?
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Commodoredave wrote: We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.
I was asking about this on another thread. Who wont be invited back next year that has eligibility? We have 15 true freshman on our team this year. And I think we have 15 new guys coming in next year? That already puts you at 30. Bleday, Fellows, Gillis, Ray, Duvall, etc... are sophomores. Raby, Infante, and Scott coming back as seniors. Admittedly I dont know all the rules in terms of number of players allowed, if you an stash players off roster somehow, etc... but if it is purely a count of 35 guys, I'm not sure how you get there.

As far as Scott, the stat head types may tell you he was he our best hitter this past year. And if not our best, 2nd best behind Bleday. OBP over 400, Slugging over 600 so OPS over 1,000. Led the team in HR even though he had a reduced number of atbats. Strikeout rate pretty abysmal but hopefully will more atbats, that rate would come down.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

dcdore wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:
The Chris Lee podcast this week had a good discussion of this.
wdsmith45
Seaman

Post by wdsmith45 »

dcdore wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:

You might get a couple to transfer out if they feel they are not going to get playing time. Usually will have one injured ....maybe red shirt, though it's more difficult to RS than in the past.

You could have a grade issue before the roster has to be turned in which is about 10 days prior to the first game in Feb. Better be ready to show your stuff this fall.
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

Raby, Infante and some Freshman will not be back giving room for the new class. I would think Paul would be back after only hitting 235 this year, he is a better hitter than 235. Will Day come back?
AtrumEtAureum
Vice Admiral

Post by AtrumEtAureum »

BWestbrook wrote:Raby, Infante and some Freshman will not be back giving room for the new class. I would think Paul would be back after only hitting 235 this year, he is a better hitter than 235. Will Day come back?
Link? Or is this just supposition?
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Commodoredave wrote:
dcdore wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:
The Chris Lee podcast this week had a good discussion of this.
I listened to one of his podcasts recently. I may have missed the one you are taking about, but he mentioned the roster crunch in what I listened to. I was hoping he'd go into speculation about who he thought wouldnt be back from either our current freshman, soph, or draft eligible guys that didnt get drafted. But the podcast I listened to didnt get to that level. Was talking more about the guys who were drafted and if they'd go to the MLB. I might have missed a more thorough one.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

AtrumEtAureum wrote:
BWestbrook wrote:Raby, Infante and some Freshman will not be back giving room for the new class. I would think Paul would be back after only hitting 235 this year, he is a better hitter than 235. Will Day come back?
Supposition
Matt2309
Vice Admiral

Post by Matt2309 »

Commodoredave wrote:Great to have Scott back, but I agree that Duvall is ready to excel in an expanded role. He has put together some really strong AB's and he is 100% healthy after the TJ two years ago. We need his left handed bat. The MSU defender made a play on a ball Duvall smashed in the corner right after the Paul homer, or we'd still be playing. Duvall also smashed one deep to left center that Mangum ran down in his Friday attempt. This kid can play.

You'd have to put Scott in left field since we'll already have Clake as DH. That's what I'm guessing Tim's gonna do, unless there's a different outfielder that's playing really well and Scott stays at catcher
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

AtrumEtAureum wrote:
Supposition
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Matt2309 wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:Great to have Scott back, but I agree that Duvall is ready to excel in an expanded role. He has put together some really strong AB's and he is 100% healthy after the TJ two years ago. We need his left handed bat. The MSU defender made a play on a ball Duvall smashed in the corner right after the Paul homer, or we'd still be playing. Duvall also smashed one deep to left center that Mangum ran down in his Friday attempt. This kid can play.

You'd have to put Scott in left field since we'll already have Clake as DH. That's what I'm guessing Tim's gonna do, unless there's a different outfielder that's playing really well and Scott stays at catcher
I suspect all 3 of these guys will get good reps, and each will at least get some time behind the plate. Clarke is a draft eligible soph, so they are going to work with him to improve his stock, which means he can't just DH. All 3 of these guys will be drafted at the end of 2019. A completely uninformed opinion is that the primary lineup involves Martin moving to SS, Demarco to CF, and then Scott to LF when it is obvious that Duvall is ready to catch 40 games next year.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Commodoredave wrote:
Matt2309 wrote:

I suspect all 3 of these guys will get good reps, and each will at least get some time behind the plate. Clarke is a draft eligible soph, so they are going to work with him to improve his stock, which means he can't just DH. All 3 of these guys will be drafted at the end of 2019. A completely uninformed opinion is that the primary lineup involves Martin moving to SS, Demarco to CF, and then Scott to LF when it is obvious that Duvall is ready to catch 40 games next year.
Good observation. We DO need a shortstop, don't we.
Locked Previous topicNext topic