Relive VU's epic 1996 home loss to Notre Dame here

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Relive VU's epic 1996 home loss to Notre Dame here

Post by BrentVU »

Will Vandy ever get Notre Dame back in Vanderbilt Stadium? Doubtful... unless ND were to join the SEC...

Here's how it was covered on ESPN SportsCenter...

thefan
Captain

Re: Relive VU's epic 1996 home loss to Notre Dame here

Post by thefan »

If the BGA guy had not of fumbled deep in ND territory, Vandy might have won. Don't believe any ND player was near him and he just lost the ball!
vandy86
Captain

Post by vandy86 »

I was at that game and had been in South Bend for the first game of that series. In this game there was a third down in the fourth quarter that led to their go ahead td. It was a very close mark as I remember or it would have been 4th down and the momentum was on our side. It was a very good game even if there were several turn overs by both teams. They were the result of some very hard hitting by both teams. Great memory,
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

As I recall, ND was down 7-6 with about 3 minutes left and went for it on 4th and 7. As I feared, although our D played a great game, they couldn't stop them on that one play. Game over.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

One of the most frustrating losses to watch as a Vanderbilt fan.

Rates up there with the 87 loss to UT when Watson Brown was the coach and Vanderbilt blew a 28-3 lead and lost 38-36.

Also the Florida loss in the Bobby Johnson era when Earl Bennett got the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, keeping Vanderbilt from being able to go for two and the win after that touchdown. I think we would have gotten the two point conversion on a quick slant from Jay Cutler to Earl Bennett.

And the 7-6 LSU loss when Woody Widenhofer coached when we scored late in the fourth quarter, tried to go for two but LSU coach Gerry DiNardo called timeout right before we could snap it, then we took too long getting back on the field after the timeout and got a delay of game penalty, then got yet another stupid delay of game penalty, finally decided to just kick the extra point, and it was blocked.

And finally the Kentucky loss under Widenhofer when Woody went for a fake punt deep in Vanderbilt’s own territory.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

The third and 37 TD pass to Yoder to go ahead against Notre Dame in the 4th quarter was the single most exciting home football play of the 90s. Pretty sure I tore something jumping up and down so much on those bleachers.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Mandela effect in action. This is the one and only football game I ever attended while at Vandy ... and for 20+ years I've been telling the story of the 50-yard TD pass on 3rd-and-37 as a 50 yard TD pass on 3rd-and-goal. I have totally been remembering it wrong!
Locked Previous topicNext topic