OT (presumably): Oregon and Washington going to the Big Ten

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

OT (presumably): Oregon and Washington going to the Big Ten

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

After a morning in which it appeared the Pac-12 would be saved, it now appears the conference has a grim future as Oregon and Washington leave for the Big Ten.

fldore
Vice Admiral

Re: OT (presumably): Oregon and Washington going to the Big Ten

Post by fldore »

National magnolia league time.... Vandy, Duke, Wake, Northwestern, Cal, Stanford, BC. UNC and UVA feel a little different but they'd make more sense than not for a number of reasons. Then convince Notre Dame to join as the conference would be good enough that the champion would likely be part of the automatic football playoff bid process. But also not so good that Notre Dame couldn't be a favorite most years. 10 team conference, 9 game conference football schedule, home and away basketball, play all teams in baseball.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Tulane? Rice? Service Academies?
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

I actually thought about Rice and Tulane but their athletics do feel a notch below even though I would like a reason to go to New Orleans. I also left off GaTech which some may want to include.

I'm more interested to invite the service academies and I did think about them as well. But I also like the idea of a smaller conference where you play every team every year in each of the 3 major sports. I could easily be talked into including them though.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Given the awakening northern super league (formerly known as the Big10) I wonder if the SEC and SEC simply merge at this point since this is all about the money.

Also wonder how the SEC’s (and ACC’s) tie-in to, what appears to be a financially weakened, Disney/ESPN ultimately plays out in all this.

Sure is playing out very quickly right now. While VU would come off poorly financially, the Non-northeast Ivy League would be much more competitive and fun I suspect. I do wonder if a Wash U or Georgetown would add D-1 football etc to join.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

fldore wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:17 pm National magnolia league time.... Vandy, Duke, Wake, Northwestern, Cal, Stanford, BC. UNC and UVA feel a little different but they'd make more sense than not for a number of reasons. Then convince Notre Dame to join as the conference would be good enough that the champion would likely be part of the automatic football playoff bid process. But also not so good that Notre Dame couldn't be a favorite most years. 10 team conference, 9 game conference football schedule, home and away basketball, play all teams in baseball.
bring it on (but it's merely a dream)!
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Utah and Arizona State following Arizona to the Big 12. The Pac 12 is now left with Oregon State, Washington State, Cal-Berkely and Stanford. That conference is all but gone. I've been on vacation since last Saturday and things have completely turned upside down.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

docdore wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:04 pm
fldore wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:17 pm National magnolia league time.... Vandy, Duke, Wake, Northwestern, Cal, Stanford, BC. UNC and UVA feel a little different but they'd make more sense than not for a number of reasons. Then convince Notre Dame to join as the conference would be good enough that the champion would likely be part of the automatic football playoff bid process. But also not so good that Notre Dame couldn't be a favorite most years. 10 team conference, 9 game conference football schedule, home and away basketball, play all teams in baseball.
bring it on (but it's merely a dream)!
"If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bike."
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

I currently live in the Midwest. My daughter is starting at the University of Washington this fall. In no way, shape or form did I anticipate that she would be at a Big Ten school by sophomore year.

I was really looking forward to having a PAC-12 school to follow again (I was a Cal basketball season ticket holder for one year 20 years ago). Now I have a third Big Ten team. Totally ridiculous.

Cal and Stanford at least have a chance of getting picked up by the Big Ten someday. The Beavs and Cougs better get used to playing in Fresno and Fort Collins.
Locked Previous topicNext topic