Officiating at last year's Vandy-UT game

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Officiating at last year's Vandy-UT game

Post by BrentVU »

In the presentation of SEC Supervisor of Officials John McDaid Tuesday, he showed a play from last year's VU-UT game. Vandy had the ball. A UT coach was standing near the line of scrimmage and clapped vigorously before the ball was snapped. It caused the VU center to snap the ball prematurely; predictably the QB wasn't ready and it bounced off his shins. Vandy recovered, but it was a lost offensive play. No penalty was called.

There will be several rule changes next year to speed up the game.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Officiating at last year's Vandy-UT game

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Maybe he'd like to talk about the atrocity at the end of the Florida game, too.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

BrentVU wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:49 am
There will be several rule changes next year to speed up the game.
How about simply allowing the game to continue while TV is in a long beer commercial break, rather than having the official standing with the digital clock on the edge of the field showing the 3 1/2 minute countdown until the commercial break ends. (I like the digital clock; I know how long I have to go to the concession stand or whatever. I don't like the interminable TV timeouts.) If a big play happens during the break, TV can show it as a replay.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Fayette - oh gosh yea. The constant stoppages and commercial breaks are horrible these days.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:54 am Maybe he'd like to talk about the atrocity at the end of the Florida game, too.
Watched that game again yesterday. Got mad all over. Showed it to my wife who asked two questions: 1. Why did they stop the clock with 2 seconds left when the guy was tackled without getting a first down and without going out of bounds and 2. Why did they let the last play happen when the clock had run out? She is far from a football expert and SHE got it.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

commadore wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:29 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:54 am Maybe he'd like to talk about the atrocity at the end of the Florida game, too.
Watched that game again yesterday. Got mad all over. Showed it to my wife who asked two questions: 1. Why did they stop the clock with 2 seconds left when the guy was tackled without getting a first down and without going out of bounds and 2. Why did they let the last play happen when the clock had run out? She is far from a football expert and SHE got it.
It reminded me of the end of the US-Soviet Olympic basketball game in 1972.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:43 pm
It reminded me of the end of the US-Soviet Olympic basketball game in 1972.
Good comparison, except we still managed to win.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I wonder, if they had scored on the last play, could CCL have thrown the challenge flag? Or would the refs have called the touchdown and then ran off the field before he had a chance?
MountainDore
Lieutenant

Post by MountainDore »

I saw “atrocity at the end of the Florida game” and immediately thought you were talking about Earl Bennett. Still pissed.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Golddore68 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:29 pm
I wonder, if they had scored on the last play, could CCL have thrown the challenge flag? Or would the refs have called the touchdown and then ran off the field before he had a chance?
A Florida touchdown would hav e cut VU's lead to one point. If the refs ran off the field (and maybe they should have), they would have left before the winner of the game had been determined.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Locked Previous topicNext topic