Watched Trinity Wilson Play Several Games

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Watched Trinity Wilson Play Several Games

Post by MikeADore »

I was a bit under the weather over the weekend and wound up spending a lot of time watching games from the Nike Nationals in Chicago. I watched Trinity Wilson and her North Tartan EYBL team play several times. She played well.

North Tartan is a fast-breaking team, and she kept up just fine. Not a speed demon by any means, but she’s not at all immobile. She does have skills around the basket and passes the ball well. I would compare her in many ways the departed Amauri Williams. A true big who plays a very specific role. and that is done mostly in the paint.

I don’t think she needs to be SEC ready the day she arrives on campus. Few true bigs come that way. She should be joining a deep post rotation when she gets here next year (sounds weird to hear that about Vandy, doesn’t it?) I’m very much an amateur when it comes to player evaluation, but I suspect she will be third in that rotation the first year behind Sacha Washington and Aiyana Mitchell. Possibly fourth if Bailey Gilmore flourishes as a freshman this year. That’s not a criticism of Wilson but an indication that we shouldn’t have to count on her right away. There will be time to develop her, and that’s something this staff can do.

Criticisms? I’d like to see her more aggressive. She doesn’t have that “I’ll-rip- your-arm-off-if-you-try-to-take-my-rebound” attitude. Few do, though.

I had a chance to watch several other Vandy targets and possible players of interest over the weekend. If I can overcome an attack of the lazy, I’ll talk about some of them soon.