Top remaining commits after 10 rounds

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

Top remaining commits after 10 rounds

Post by Versus75 »

The MLB Draft Tracker rates the Top 250 players (from college and HS ranks). I don't know if it is Mayo / Callis / or both. Either way, at some point they will rate each MLB team on its draft based upon how well the MLB.com ratings. Certainly not precise.

But it IS telling that after 10 rounds + bonus rounds with a total of 314 players drafted, about 60 of the mlb.com Top 250 players are still undrafted. A quick count indicates that 48 of those are coming out of high school. Three of those are Vanderbilt commits.

#106 Ethan McElwain
#143 Cam Kozeal
#217 Colin Barczi

Could it be that they have not been drafted because they are telling the bigs to back off? I hope so.

And the top remaining VU commits with their Perfectgame.org OVERALL ranking in the high school Class of 2023:

#038 Braden Holcomb*
#049 Ethan McElwain*
#112 Miller Green
#115 Cam Kozeal
#139 RJ Hamilton
#140 Alex Kranzler
#198 Jakob Schulz
#232 Nathan Teague
#286 Duke Ekstrom
#315 Nik Copenhaver
#332 Matthew Ossenfort
#385 Colin Barczi
#415 Luke Guth
#465 Ethan Robinson
#490 Deegan Cordova

While #490 doesn't sound that great, keep in mind that there were 305 Division I Baseball teams last season. On average, a team would get less than two of the Top 490 players. Unless some big money is thrown at Round 11-20 draftees, Vanderbilt could land 15 of the Top 490 players. Ossenfort, for example, may be #332 overall but is ranked as the #10 first baseman in the class.

Not bad.

prospects1500.com (never heard of it before tonight) has Holcomb #31 in the class and McElvain #37.
https://www.prospects1500.com/general/2 ... prospects/

(Don't know what the mlb.com guys saw in Barczi that perfectgame did not, but I'm hoping he's good. Could be future starting catcher. And maybe Holcomb told mlb to take his name off the draft board and that's why he's not among their Top 250 players.)

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: Top remaining commits after 10 rounds

Post by geeznotagain »

Lots of drama/excitement and a lot at stake, for the players AND for the teams, in the next few weeks. So says Captain Obvious.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

Versus75 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:07 am (Don't know what the mlb.com guys saw in Barczi that perfectgame did not, but I'm hoping he's good. Could be future starting catcher. And maybe Holcomb told mlb to take his name off the draft board and that's why he's not among their Top 250 players.)
PG is a for-profit baseball association and not just a ranking supplier. In short, if you show up to their events and showcases, and pay them money, you can get a higher PG rating/ranking. Barczi is from Illinois which is probably why he isn't highly rated by PG, since PG isn't really big there. If you watch closely, PG rankings will be much higher for kids from GA/FL/TX where PG is the dominant organization. They now have made significant investments in Nashville, so don't be surprised if kids from our state start getting the same bump as others have in the past. My guess is his PBR (Prep Baseball Report) ranking is higher since that is the organization played heavily in IL/IN/OH. But I can't say for sure since PBR is behind a paywall.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

As Auric told you, no Vanderbilt commits were drafted after the top 4 in the first two rounds. That's great news!

I've added positions to show that we have a lot of talented pitchers and several top-notch position players.

Braden Holcomb... SS-3B
Ethan McElwain .... LHP
Miller Green ...... LHP
Cam Kozeal ...... SS-2B
RJ Hamilton ..... 2B-SS
Alex Kranzler ..... RHP
Jakob Schulz ...... LHP
Nathan Teague ..... RHP
Duke Ekstrom ...... RHP
Nik Copenhaver .... RHP
Matthew Ossenfort .. 1B
Colin Barczi ........ C
Luke Guth ...... RHP-SS
Ethan Robinson .... RHP
Deegan Cordova .... RHP

others
Brennan Seiber .... RHP
Kaito Muto ......... SS
TJ Messina ......... 2B
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I noticed that RJ Hamilton has speed to rival Bradfield….I hope he can field and hit!
Locked Previous topicNext topic