Cam Dooley to announce commitment at 5 pm ET Saturday

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Cam Dooley to announce commitment at 5 pm ET Saturday

Post by BrentVU »

Cam Dooley is a 6-4 195 all-around athlete from Valley HS in Valley, Ala.; he is versatile enough to play QB, WR, and DB. He had previously narrowed his choices down to ten schools, but he announced Friday that (as I predicted) his choice will come from a final three of Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Missouri. Dooley took official visits to those three over recent successive weekends and to my knowledge hasn't given one school the edge over another.

As I see it, this will be a good test of the Vandy staff's persuasive abilities. Dooley gave each of the three schools an equal shot, and now he gets to choose which one fits him best. Not sure what the other two schools are selling, but Vandy is trying to set itself apart right now based on player development and "true brotherhood" (not to mention superior academics and vivacious Nashville).

If I had to predict, I would predict Missouri, because they got the last visit. But we'll see.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Cam Dooley to announce commitment at 5 pm ET Saturday

Post by BrentVU »

P.S. It's really interesting all these guys who are coming down to VU, UK, and Mizzou. Besides Dooley, Cameron Keys, the 4* DB from Panama City, says he is choosing (on the Fourth of July) between those same three; and Johann Cardenas, the 4* RB from Texas, is down to VU and Mizzou.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Another big one is coming on July 8: Dontae Carter, a 4* safety from Cibolo-Steele, Texas (same school as Alvin Williamson, Jr., who committed this week), says he is announcing that day. (Actually it's his mom saying that.)

Even though his list of schools is long, I like to think Vandy is right in there, because Vandy had the last official visit with him, and also because of Williamson's commitment. Here's Carter's complete list: Vandy, Missouri, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas, Houston, Washington, Oregon State, Purdue, Nebraska, Utah State, UNLV, Tulane, UTSA (his hometown school), and a couple of smaller schools.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Not entirely sure yet, but I think Dooley has committed to Vandy. Waiting to confirm.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

BrentVU wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:39 pm Not entirely sure yet, but I think Dooley has committed to Vandy. Waiting to confirm.
If we get his pledge (and hang on to all these commits) I have to admit that I'm going to be really impressed with our halu over the last few weeks. We are winning head to head recruiting battles in June (and the in June part is important) against schools that we need to beat regularly to have good seasons. Wins against UK, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss. St., etc. are critical to building our program. And it frequently starts with beating them in recruiting for players that both schools want.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

BrentVU wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:39 pm Not entirely sure yet, but I think Dooley has committed to Vandy. Waiting to confirm.
Oops, jumped the gun! Dooley has committed to Missouri (the last visit wins out so often).

But Vandy does end up with its 18th commitment today, Mason Carter, an edge rusher from Florida.
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

Cardenas' highlight film is sick, he'll be a major force in this program if he jumps on board. We need RBs. He's a bowling ball with moves...
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

BrentVU wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:19 pm P.S. It's really interesting all these guys who are coming down to VU, UK, and Mizzou. Besides Dooley, Cameron Keys, the 4* DB from Panama City, says he is choosing (on the Fourth of July) between those same three; and Johann Cardenas, the 4* RB from Texas, is down to VU and Mizzou.
Cameron Keys announcing today at 1:00 PM CT.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:15 am
BrentVU wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:19 pm P.S. It's really interesting all these guys who are coming down to VU, UK, and Mizzou. Besides Dooley, Cameron Keys, the 4* DB from Panama City, says he is choosing (on the Fourth of July) between those same three; and Johann Cardenas, the 4* RB from Texas, is down to VU and Mizzou.
Cameron Keys announcing today at 1:00 PM CT.
Another instance where Missouri got the last visit and is probably the slight favorite... We'll see!
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Cameron Keys has committed to... Missouri.

Eli Drinkwitz really cleaning up lately at Vandy's and Kentucky's expense.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

On the good news front, Vandy is among an early Top 12 released today by 2025 4-star D-lineman Ethan Utley of Ensworth. I don't think Utley is going to decide until after this fall, and I would think that if Vandy shows legitimate progress this season, the hometown school could become a legitimate contender. Vandy has already gotten a commitment from Utley's 2024 teammate Jaren Sensabaugh.
Locked Previous topicNext topic