Arky 1

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

Re: Arky 1

Post by roanoke »

65 pitches in less than 2 innings.

Far mare balls than strikes. Pretty much a disastrous outing. Again, fielding was terrible. But 6 walks & 1 HBP in less than 2 innings speaks for itself.

Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

I'm an optimistic, upbeat, glass-half-full kinda guy. However, I just have a sense of hopelessness about this team. I see no signs of anyone picking this team up and putting it on his shoulders, no force of will to change fortunes. Over the last few weeks, this team plays defeated, expecting to lose. Sad.
Last edited by Levon on Thu May 18, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

Who on here thinks we have any chance tonight? This team looks dead.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Levon wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:49 pm I'm an optimistic, upbeat, glass-half-full kinda guy. However, I just have a sense of hopelessness about this team. I see no signs of anyone picking this team up and putting it on his shoulders, no force of will to change fortunes. Over the last few weeks, this team plays defeated, expecting to lose. Sad.
I have “hope” that Owen will do that.

But not any time soon.

This team needs one start from someone.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

Uncle
accent grave over the e
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

FFS
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

roanoke wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:55 pm
Levon wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:49 pm I'm an optimistic, upbeat, glass-half-full kinda guy. However, I just have a sense of hopelessness about this team. I see no signs of anyone picking this team up and putting it on his shoulders, no force of will to change fortunes. Over the last few weeks, this team plays defeated, expecting to lose. Sad.

But not any time soon.

I hope you're right, but my gut tells me Holton and Owen are done for the season. Weird, unexplained injuries/fatigue don't just get better. I have a horrible feeling that Vandy doesn't win another game this season. I hope I'm wrong. I really hope they figure a way out of this funk, but they are playing as if they don't have a clue what to do.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I am a big believer in our coach.

With that said, he needs to do “something” new - because what he has been doing the last three weeks has not worked. I expect some type of batting order shake-up tomorrow.

I might add, this is the type of performance that loosens up Arkansas and tightens up us. And tonight, he handled Reilly poorly, plain and simple.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

National seed? Now that’s funny
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Attababy Noland. First run is the toughest.

Now let’s goooo!!!!!!
BDR-Dore
Chief

Post by BDR-Dore »

Too much bass on the new sound system. They are killing me in the outfield.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

roanoke wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:13 pm I am a big believer in our coach.

With that said, he needs to do “something” new - because what he has been doing the last three weeks has not worked. I expect some type of batting order shake-up tomorrow.

I might add, this is the type of performance that loosens up Arkansas and tightens up us. And tonight, he handled Reilly poorly, plain and simple.
CTC does seem to be showing a bit of a stubborn streak lately.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Levon wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:10 pm
roanoke wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:55 pm

But not any time soon.

I hope you're right, but my gut tells me Holton and Owen are done for the season. Weird, unexplained injuries/fatigue don't just get better. I have a horrible feeling that Vandy doesn't win another game this season. I hope I'm wrong. I really hope they figure a way out of this funk, but they are playing as if they don't have a clue what to do.
There's always the blind squirrel finding an acorn kind of hope.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Is it coincidence or not, that the new digital images of the Titanic were released today?
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

roanoke wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:13 pm I am a big believer in our coach.

I trust Corbs as well, but I have little-to-no confidence in Baxter or Brown. Neither seems to do anything to improve individual or team performance. EBjr, for instance, a tailor made slash and gap hitter, still swings with an uppercut. For 2 full seasons now. Why? There is none, zero, no situational hitting with this team. With the possible exception of Vastine, every guy, every swing is the same, and the basic swing is to lift the ball. I realize that is the path to pro ball, but it doesn't make for good college baseball hitting. It ruined Carter Young last year. And which pitcher has become a better pitcher under Brown? Velocity and spin rate are his mantra, but changing speed and location never seem to enter the mind of Vanderbilt pitching. Why? And he seems to have no answer for pitchers who are struggling. But Corbs stubbornly sticks with these guys.
Last edited by Levon on Thu May 18, 2023 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

The stubbornness also goes to position players that can’t hit the ball. What’s the worst that happens if you go to a back up? They can’t hit worse. Are they really that bad defensively?

I assume we still don’t have a true hitting coach? It is a recruiting coordinator, right?
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

That last AB is how EBjr should swing everytime, drive the ball on a line vice lift it. Why isn't he coached to swing that way everytime. I read an MLB scouting report on him a couple weeks ago (sorry, I don't recall where on line) that said whichever team drafts him, their first task is to fix his badly broken swing, what we've been saying on this board since last season. Why don't Corbs & Baxter see that?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Levon wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:23 pm That last AB is how EBjr should swing everytime, drive the ball on a line vice lift it. Why isn't he coached to swing that way everytime. I read an MLB scouting report on him a couple weeks ago (sorry, I don't recall where on line) that said whichever team drafts him, their first task is to fix his badly broken swing, what we've been saying on this board since last season. Why don't Corbs & Baxter see that?
Here's the answer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwB3baEl0pM
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

4 and 9 in sec since the sc series. 4-9.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:55 pm
Levon wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:23 pm That last AB is how EBjr should swing everytime, drive the ball on a line vice lift it. Why isn't he coached to swing that way everytime. I read an MLB scouting report on him a couple weeks ago (sorry, I don't recall where on line) that said whichever team drafts him, their first task is to fix his badly broken swing, what we've been saying on this board since last season. Why don't Corbs & Baxter see that?
Here's the answer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwB3baEl0pM

You don't know how many times I have thought of this scene this season with Bradfield hitting fly balls.
Locked Previous topicNext topic