To school like Vanderbilt??

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandysmith
Lieutenant

To school like Vanderbilt??

Post by Vandysmith »

The portal seems to be not so kind.

Vandamnit
Commander

Re: To school like Vanderbilt??

Post by Vandamnit »

Was last year, wasn't it? Patience, patience....
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Vandamnit wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:43 pm Was last year, wasn't it? Patience, patience....
Manjon, Robbins, Chatman, QMB
Not just last year
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

alathIN wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:50 pm
Vandamnit wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:43 pm Was last year, wasn't it? Patience, patience....
Manjon, Robbins, Chatman, QMB
Not just last year
It can be good, we just need to be looking for 3 players like that per year, not 1 or 2. We have a really nice opportunity to really improve our roster. But yes, a coaching staff has to be almost doubling their time in recruiting but those that understand the game and play it well will succeed.

There is more churn, but for a program like ours, opportunity to improve the roster over players that were ok, but perhaps one dimensional. If CJS grabs a player like Robbins and Chatman to go along with a post who can rebound, we will be just fine if not a bit thin in terms of depth. Even adding another freshman (assuming there are any good ones still out there) wouldn't be a bad idea either.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Just like in recruiting we'll have a hard time with the portal as our options will be much more limited than most other schools. To play devil's advocate though, I've always wondered if that should make things easier as we can focus our attention on fewer guys.

Anyways, I still don't like this notion that we have to learn how to deal with the portal. Just because guys can leave on a whim doesn't mean they have to. If you're a guy that wants the education, likes the school, likes the coach, etc... why would you leave? Was listening to some podcast and they mentioned we've averaged 4 guys leaving a year over the last 4 years. Haven't taken the time to validate that number but it feels like it is about right. Seems like every year we've had a mass exodus. I know there will always be a guy who wants to transfer for grad school, or wants to move closer to home, etc... but not 4 a year. Are we just recruiting the wrong kind of kid for Vandy? Is it really that hard to find guys who want to come here and actually enjoy the experience of being at school here? What in the world are we doing wrong?

And is anyone really even excited about who we get in the transfer portal? Some guy who will be here for a year maybe two? I barely care at this point. My interest in college basketball is essentially near rock bottom. Made this comment to a buddy of mine where I literally can't name one college basketball player outside of Vandy aside from those who shoot women in cars in Alabama. 20 years ago I could tell you the starting lineup of Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc... You knew the players, you watched them for 3 to 4 years. I'm not even sure I can even name 5 players on our team who have decide to stay. Arent all the starters basically gone except Manjon? Every year it's a new cast and then they all leave. Are they even students? why bother going to class if only here a year or two.

College basketball is a shell of what it used to be.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

fldore wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:18 am Just like in recruiting we'll have a hard time with the portal as our options will be much more limited than most other schools. To play devil's advocate though, I've always wondered if that should make things easier as we can focus our attention on fewer guys.

Anyways, I still don't like this notion that we have to learn how to deal with the portal. Just because guys can leave on a whim doesn't mean they have to. If you're a guy that wants the education, likes the school, likes the coach, etc... why would you leave? Was listening to some podcast and they mentioned we've averaged 4 guys leaving a year over the last 4 years. Haven't taken the time to validate that number but it feels like it is about right. Seems like every year we've had a mass exodus. I know there will always be a guy who wants to transfer for grad school, or wants to move closer to home, etc... but not 4 a year. Are we just recruiting the wrong kind of kid for Vandy? Is it really that hard to find guys who want to come here and actually enjoy the experience of being at school here? What in the world are we doing wrong?

And is anyone really even excited about who we get in the transfer portal? Some guy who will be here for a year maybe two? I barely care at this point. My interest in college basketball is essentially near rock bottom. Made this comment to a buddy of mine where I literally can't name one college basketball player outside of Vandy aside from those who shoot women in cars in Alabama. 20 years ago I could tell you the starting lineup of Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc... You knew the players, you watched them for 3 to 4 years. I'm not even sure I can even name 5 players on our team who have decide to stay. Arent all the starters basically gone except Manjon? Every year it's a new cast and then they all leave. Are they even students? why bother going to class if only here a year or two.

College basketball is a shell of what it used to be.
But remember, the focus is on the players. Fans be damned.
Locked Previous topicNext topic