Here is what’s going on…

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

ChattaDore
Rear Admiral

Here is what’s going on…

Post by ChattaDore »

CJS is going to the NBA.

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Re: Here is what’s going on…

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Don't even say that.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

ChattaDore wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:21 pm CJS is going to the NBA.
I think this was a joke, but exactly why does 4 years of college coacing that produced 2 NIT bids and 0 NCAA bids get an NBA offer?

I don't see this right now.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

So you're saying Stack's in the portal?
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

mathguy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:45 pm
I think this was a joke, but exactly why does 4 years of college coacing that produced 2 NIT bids and 0 NCAA bids get an NBA offer?

He can't possibly do any worse than Jason Kidd in Dallas.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:37 pm

The trade for kyrie is what sank the mavericks.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Obvious wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:11 pm

Kyrie is not a team player, but Jason Kidd is an absolute disaster of a coach. We extended him grace last year. They had a great team vibe last year after years of being mauled by Rick Carlisle. But Jason has no clue how to build a team or adjust. Zero evidence in three NBA stops. Mark Cuban couldn't manage a donut shop.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

If by some chance you are right that the players know something, and if in fact Stack is leaving, should they not announce that sooner than later. We would need to strike while the iron is hot for a new coach. I know the NBA season is not over, however we cannot wait around for that season to finish with Vandy in limbo. SO hopefully this is not the case.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

buffy wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:09 am
Obvious wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:11 pm

Kyrie is not a team player, but Jason Kidd is an absolute disaster of a coach. We extended him grace last year. They had a great team vibe last year after years of being mauled by Rick Carlisle. But Jason has no clue how to build a team or adjust. Zero evidence in three NBA stops. Mark Cuban couldn't manage a donut shop.
Kidd is an example of a guy who kept getting hired despite showing no ability to coach. Cuban is the NBA's answer to Daniel Snyder - a rich man who has no clue how to run a pro sports franchise.
Vandy84
Ensign

Post by Vandy84 »

[/quote]

I was not in favor of the Kyrie trade, and I hated losing Finney-Smith.
However, the addition of Kyrie is not the problem.
There were some close losses after the trade because neither Kyrie nor Luka would step up and take the last shot (time ran out because they kept passing to one another), but otherwise Kyrie has played well.
The recent drop from 4th to 11th and going from playing in the 2022 Western Conference Finals to likely missing the playoffs are because of a complete lack of defense.
The Mavs put up a lot of points, but they play no defense.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Vandy84 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:40 pm The trade for kyrie is what sank the mavericks.
I was not in favor of the Kyrie trade, and I hated losing Finney-Smith.
However, the addition of Kyrie is not the problem.
There were some close losses after the trade because neither Kyrie nor Luka would step up and take the last shot (time ran out because they kept passing to one another), but otherwise Kyrie has played well.
The recent drop from 4th to 11th and going from playing in the 2022 Western Conference Finals to likely missing the playoffs are because of a complete lack of defense.
The Mavs put up a lot of points, but they play no defense.
[/quote]

Put simply, you do not want Kyrie on your team if you are an NBA exec. In Dallas he has played well (according to stats) and kept his head down (so far), and still the team has managed to lose more after he arrived than before. He doesn't play defense. He doesn't "gel" with a team. He is the polar opposite of a "glue guy" ... even when Kyrie isn't up to his antics, he is incapable of being a smart player and fitting in with a team concept. The only time he ever did so was when paired with a clear alpha-dog in LeBron ... and it rankled him so badly he preferred to get out rather than win another title as a second fiddle.

Dallas should let Kyrie walk at the end of the season. Kyrie's contribution to winning simply is not commensurate with a max salary slot. He is the ultimate example of a guy who will get paid approximately 40 million dollars by someone next year, and yet his team would be improved if they spent the same money on two $20million guys, or possibly even 3 $13million guys.

And that's assuming he actually plays most of the season for whatever team signs him, as opposed to missing 40+ games with injury, or "injury", or suspension, or a trade demand...
Locked Previous topicNext topic