Vanderbilt vs. Miss State

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

Vanderbilt vs. Miss State

Post by Golddore68 »

Mississippi State only beat one top 25 team all season, Texas A&M.

Vanderbilt beat UT, Auburn, and Kentucky twice.

In head to head competition Vanderbilt beat Miss. State.

Vanderbilt was 10-2 in last 12 games, Miss. State 4-4 in last eight. Supposedly “how you finish” is looked at by the committee.

Help it make sense.

jpmando
Commander

Re: Vanderbilt vs. Miss State

Post by jpmando »

It doesn't, not at all.

I have to think that, as usual, the money that goes with " big" school supporters figures into all of these decisions. Same with bowl games and bowl matchups.

VU has long been a "small" school, an academically-oriented outlier among NCAA "powers"-where association with criminal behavior, even murder, seems to be only a minor inconvenience.

I think we are stuck in this rut forever. Its a shame for these players and staff.

So go out and win the NIT.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

jpmando wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:51 pm It doesn't, not at all.

I have to think that, as usual, the money that goes with " big" school supporters figures into all of these decisions. Same with bowl games and bowl matchups.

VU has long been a "small" school, an academically-oriented outlier among NCAA "powers"-where association with criminal behavior, even murder, seems to be only a minor inconvenience.

I think we are stuck in this rut forever. Its a shame for these players and staff.

So go out and win the NIT.
We’re not in the rut forever. We regularly made the tournament with stallings. We’re back very soon.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Vanderbilt and NIT

Post by charlestonalum »

So UNC is too good to play in NIT: that is arrogance. Would love to see VU go deep into and possibly win NIT. In the end it is about player development. Our young players will benefit from more practice.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

Teams that get snubbed go one of two ways in NIT. They play pissed off and make deep run or they lay down and prove disinterested. Not much in between

I wouldn’t blame the guys for mailing it in. Frustrating to watch multiple teams you beat play in NCAA.

If I were stack id schedule a ton of easy games next year and run up the score on all of them. That’s clearly all that matters to the committee. Pitiful.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:57 pm So UNC is too good to play in NIT: that is arrogance. Would love to see VU go deep into and possibly win NIT. In the end it is about player development. Our young players will benefit from more practice.
Ohio State....well below .500 ... declines an NIT invitation in advance, even though not invited.

How is that for arrogant? Akron or Ohio U. in that state would LOVE an NIT invitation.
docdore
Vice Admiral

when have others....

Post by docdore »

....declined nit invitations?
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Well their out of conference was a lot better. Scored a couple good wins on a neutral court (one of which being Marquette who is a 2 seed in the tourney), beat all the teams they should have, and only lost one game to Drake who is also in the tourney. If I look at their overall schedule I'd argue their best win on the season is better than ours and their worst loss wasn't as bad as ours. Clearly they weren't rated much higher than us if they barely snuck in and we just missed. Since we were so close I would have liked to think our head to head (even if a close game at home) would have given us the edge. But clearly the committee saw differently. I'm sure Miss St being ranked early in the year and going into conference play really helped with their reputation in the minds of the voters even as though struggled through january.

Let's be realistic here. We were average at best and stunk at worst from Nov-Jan. Even with the hot finish, we just couldn't overcome the slow start. Nobody was thinking about us all year until the very end but metrics just weren't good enough to change opinion.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

fldore wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:15 pm Well their out of conference was a lot better. Scored a couple good wins on a neutral court (one of which being Marquette who is a 2 seed in the tourney), beat all the teams they should have, and only lost one game to Drake who is also in the tourney. If I look at their overall schedule I'd argue their best win on the season is better than ours and their worst loss wasn't as bad as ours. Clearly they weren't rated much higher than us if they barely snuck in and we just missed. Since we were so close I would have liked to think our head to head (even if a close game at home) would have given us the edge. But clearly the committee saw differently. I'm sure Miss St being ranked early in the year and going into conference play really helped with their reputation in the minds of the voters even as though struggled through january.

Let's be realistic here. We were average at best and stunk at worst from Nov-Jan. Even with the hot finish, we just couldn't overcome the slow start. Nobody was thinking about us all year until the very end but metrics just weren't good enough to change opinion.
tough truth
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

No truth at all. each of these teams has no argument against Vanderbilt. This is the doings of a BS computer system which by its nature has to compare apples and oranges. The true test is confernece play and head to head, as well as last 10 games of season. Vanderbilt and Coach Stackhouse was so dominant over these teams the last 12 games you would have to be a Vandy hater to make the crazy statements of the last 2 posters.

Auburn lost 10 of last 14 inluding Vandy head to head and a 28 point loss to Kentucky who Vandy beat twice including once at Rupp. If you are wasting your time putting them, Mississippi State, Arkansas and West Virginia ahead of Vandy you are just hating. Joke.
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

No truth at all. each of these teams has no argument against Vanderbilt. This is the doings of a BS computer system which by its nature has to compare apples and oranges. The true test is confernece play and head to head, as well as last 10 games of season. Vanderbilt and Coach Stackhouse was so dominant over these teams the last 12 games you would have to be a Vandy hater to make the crazy statements of the last 2 posters.

Auburn lost 10 of last 14 inluding Vandy head to head and a 28 point loss to Kentucky who Vandy beat twice including once at Rupp. If you are wasting your time putting them, Mississippi State, Arkansas and West Virginia ahead of Vandy you are just hating. Joke.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

dorelover82 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:33 pm No truth at all. each of these teams has no argument against Vanderbilt. This is the doings of a BS computer system which by its nature has to compare apples and oranges. The true test is confernece play and head to head, as well as last 10 games of season. Vanderbilt and Coach Stackhouse was so dominant over these teams the last 12 games you would have to be a Vandy hater to make the crazy statements of the last 2 posters.

Well said.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:05 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:57 pm So UNC is too good to play in NIT: that is arrogance. Would love to see VU go deep into and possibly win NIT. In the end it is about player development. Our young players will benefit from more practice.
Ohio State....well below .500 ... declines an NIT invitation in advance, even though not invited.

How is that for arrogant? Akron or Ohio U. in that state would LOVE an NIT invitation.
I have notified the Pulitzer commitee that I do not want to be considered this year.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Golddore68 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:30 pm Supposedly “how you finish” is looked at by the committee.

Help it make sense.
This is one thing: The committee removed the "last 10 games" as a criteria for consideration several years ago. So the committee is specifically NOT supposed to say "Vandy won 10 of 11, WOW!" ... they are only supposed to consider who we beat and who we lost to, not when it happened.

I just don't think it matters. We still had an objectively better resume than Miss State.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I don't think you will see anything from this team but complete fight and hustle in the NIT. That's how they are coached and that's how they are built.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

mathguy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:14 pm
Golddore68 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:30 pm Supposedly “how you finish” is looked at by the committee.

Help it make sense.
This is one thing: The committee removed the "last 10 games" as a criteria for consideration several years ago. So the committee is specifically NOT supposed to say "Vandy won 10 of 11, WOW!" ... they are only supposed to consider who we beat and who we lost to, not when it happened.

I just don't think it matters. We still had an objectively better resume than Miss State.
Truth.
VU beat 10 Quad 1&2 teams. 11 of their 14 losses were Quad 1. They played a ridiculous schedule and had a better resume than 3 SEC teams that got in ahead of them.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

dorelover82 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:33 pm No truth at all. each of these teams has no argument against Vanderbilt. This is the doings of a BS computer system which by its nature has to compare apples and oranges. The true test is confernece play and head to head, as well as last 10 games of season. Vanderbilt and Coach Stackhouse was so dominant over these teams the last 12 games you would have to be a Vandy hater to make the crazy statements of the last 2 posters.

here's the tough truth from fldore: Let's be realistic here. We were average at best and stunk at worst from Nov-Jan. Even with the hot finish, we just couldn't overcome the slow start. Nobody was thinking about us all year until the very end but metrics just weren't good enough to change opinion.

alleged "vandy hater" (a silly accusation) fldore didn't say our team wasn't good enough to be selected, but that our metrics weren't. only a flawed selection system lets auburn and msu (and arky) dance and keeps us out. full stop.
Locked Previous topicNext topic