Sending Big Blue hordes home early... is there anything better?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

I used to go to the SEC Tournament every year. I was there in New Orleans in 2012 when Kevin Stallings' team knocked off the eventual national champs. That was the best ever, but it happened on a Sunday.

What is almost as sweet is when you send that whole Big Blue Nation-- and their sense of entitlement-- packing early. Stallings did it unexpectedly in 2013. Goheen, Booker and Kornet did it in Knoxville in 1989. I think one of Richard Schmidt's teams did it (but that was only the second or third year of the revived tournament). It hasn't happened very much. (I'm not old enough to remember 1951 and Bob Dudley Smith, but the SEC Storied series had a good account of it.)

What's really amazing is that the Dores are still going despite the loss of Liam Robbins. Stack came up with a masterful plan for handling Oscar Tshiebwe. The big guy got his numbers and gave our undersized defenders a pounding, but it didn't matter. (How he can go over your back for a rebound and manage to get fouled is beyond me.) :shock:

What has made the difference, I think, is the guard play this team is getting. Manjon and Lawrence are great ball handlers, penetrators, and defenders, and their backups are not chopped liver either. Often it's teams that get great guard play that can make a run and go deep in March.

It's almost predictable that this team is going to hit a brick wall today or tomorrow after playing that kind of a physical game. (I think Vandy can take A&M, but probably not Bama.) But it doesn't matter. I think they've now done enough, and the bracketologists have to take notice.

katmai
Rear Admiral

Re: Sending Big Blue hordes home early... is there anything better?

Post by katmai »

The best thing about it is that if you haven't done so already, there are plenty of cheap tickets now available for the game today. Before yesterday's games, the cheapest tickets were over $100. Now you can get them for as low as $25. Everyone that can should go out and support this team today.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Students are on Spring break so it has to be Nashville fans showing up and out. Go Dores!
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Thank goodness the vol contingent had time to leave before the Blue took to the highways.

Safer for everyone.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

This was just spectacular.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

to answer the question posed--YES....when the blue hordes have orange company.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

BrentVU wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:15 am
What's really amazing is that the Dores are still going despite the loss of Liam Robbins. Stack came up with a masterful plan for handling Oscar Tshiebwe. The big guy got his numbers and gave our undersized defenders a pounding, but it didn't matter. (How he can go over your back for a rebound and manage to get fouled is beyond me.) :shock:

What has made the difference, I think, is the guard play this team is getting. Manjon and Lawrence are great ball handlers, penetrators, and defenders, and their backups are not chopped liver either. Often it's teams that get great guard play that can make a run and go deep in March.
Our play esp w/o Liam has been pretty awesome. It appears the guys have finally learned and bought into the system, and it all happened after the Alabama shellacking where we thought CJS was crazy. Yes, our guards are tearing it up and all each one is dangerous and each one can hit the game winning shot. QMB and the freshmen and reserves are stepping up and filling in the gaps and playing their roles beautifully. We've shown great small ball can beat tall ball. The team is confident and believes in itself. Our offense looks good, and when the guys stay calm and play per plan, then we are a tough team to play.

Tshiebwe over the back of QMB and QMB getting called for fouls was atrocious. Tshiebwe routinely mugs guys. He is definitely getting special treatment. Horrible.

It will be hard playing 3rd day in a row against a tough Texam A&M. Hope we find it in us to give them fits!
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Tschiebwe won’t get that treatment by NCAAT officiating crews. $EC refs did him and VU a disservice. Glad VU played tough and overcame that farce.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Yes. uut getting dismissed early the same day
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:06 pm Sending Big Blue hordes home early... is there anything better?

Yes. uut getting dismissed early the same day
I’m going to beg to differ on this one sir. Kentucky basketball fans are the worst. Tennessee football fans are the worst for that sport.

In each case, it’s like picking North Korea vs Iran. They can all go to hell 😀
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

uut fans are a plague from hell any time of the year
Locked Previous topicNext topic