2022-2023: Year of the unexpected victories

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

2022-2023: Year of the unexpected victories

Post by Golddore68 »

This year (academic year) has been a year of completely unexpected victories.

FOOTBALL:

At the beginning of the season I’m thinking that South Carolina and Mizzou are our best chances at SEC victories.

After winning three nonconference games we start out the SEC by losing blowouts to Ole Miss and Bama and Georgia. Very little sign of positivity.

Then we lose to both Mizzou and South Carolina. I’m thinking, sigh, we’re going to be winless in the SEC again.

But out of nowhere we beat Kentucky! A Kentucky team that had been ranked in the top 25!

Then we follow that up by beating Florida!

BASKETBALL:

The non conference schedule ends with a disappointing loss to Grambling. I didn’t have much hopes for the SEC part of the schedule.

We come from behind to beat Arkansas but we had some bad losses afterwards and I’m thinking maybe we can win four or five SEC games at most.

All of a sudden we unexpectedly win over Florida and UT and have a 5-game winning streak!

We have a disappointing loss to LSU.

But rebound to have another unexpected win at Rupp over UK!

historybill
Admiral

Re: 2022-2023: Year of the unexpected victories

Post by historybill »

Vanderbilt was 0-3 in football and basketball against Alabama. Lost the football game by 52 points; one of the basketball games by 57 points.

And yet... Vanderbilt was 3-0 in football and basketball against Florida.

Vanderbilt won AT Kentucky in football and basketball.

Vanderbilt lost to Tennessee in football, at home, by a score of 56-0 -- that only a week after beating Florida and two weeks after beating Kentucky on the road.

Weird stuff.

This is why I don't bet on games.
Locked Previous topicNext topic