Next Year's Roster.

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Next Year's Roster.

Post by Nashmann »

A little time before Thursday's game. Only two players(Robbins and Ansong) have officially run out of eligibility. That leaves 11 guys to possibly return. With 3 recruits signed, that means one more has to leave to keep us at 13(maximum) So.....

Who leaves? Wright? Shelby? Anyone else? I would really hate to see Dia leave. No real room for a portal signee. QMB? Hope not.

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
dcdore
Admiral

Re: Next Year's Roster.

Post by dcdore »

My money would be on Shelby
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Shelby is likely to get most of what had been Thomas’ minutes. We have several interchangeable parts at 1, 2, 3.

Shelby and Dort could be the offensive stars of the team and QMB will be a key backup at center. Maybe we will use two bigs together at times.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

So. I certainly don’t want QMB to leave. But honest question: will he be a PhD candidate at this point??? And if so, how exactly does that work for a sports scholarship? That’s not really something we’ve ever had to consider.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

was wright introduced as a senior along with robbins and ansong last night? if so, has he yet publicly stated his plans? will he have a vu degree soon? if so, does anyone KNOW whether he has a vu grad school path open to him? if i were jordan, i'd be excited to see what my teammates and i could accomplish together with a faster start on a new season. or is the disu path too tempting (i'm aware that dylan wasn't a grad transfer)? if it boils down to shelby (or dia) vs wright (or thomas) to open a needed spot, which would stack choose? which should he? inquiring minds want to know.....
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Jordan was introduced as a senior who will get a degree. Not sure about his graduate school path. QMB may or may not stay. Shelby and Dort are tight and I think Shelby is being encouraged to not let the freshman years ups and downs discourage him.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I think Shelby and Dort stay. Seeing what Stack did down the stretch with this year’s roster has to be encouraging. If they are mature and have sound heads, they will understand that Stack rewards players who stick with the program. No one should expect PT as a freshman unless they are a clear stud. From what we saw of Shelby in his limited minutes, he has upside, but he was far from a stud. However, as a 4-year player, he could be really good and would likely see dividends for his time developing under Stack and staff (like what Thomas saw this season).

Jordan Wright seems likely to be done at VU since he was acknowledged on senior night. Losing him and Robbins will be a blow, but the roster next year will still have a fair amount of talent and a good balance of experience and youth with potential.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:44 pm I think Shelby and Dort stay. Seeing what Stack did down the stretch with this year’s roster has to be encouraging. If they are mature and have sound heads, they will understand that Stack rewards players who stick with the program. No one should expect PT as a freshman unless they are a clear stud. From what we saw of Shelby in his limited minutes, he has upside, but he was far from a stud. However, as a 4-year player, he could be really good and would likely see dividends for his time developing under Stack and staff (like what Thomas saw this season).

Jordan Wright seems likely to be done at VU since he was acknowledged on senior night. Losing him and Robbins will be a blow, but the roster next year will still have a fair amount of talent and a good balance of experience and youth with potential.
In the introductions last night , the point was made (including the video board graphics) that the players were being recognized as "graduates". Don't believe any mention of being senior night ( course hard to tell with our PA system ) and couldn't tell if exhausting eligibility was mentioned. Jordan is a SEC Scholar Athlete of the Year so think grad school is a viable path. Love his tenacity but not sure the NBA is likely.
Last edited by OldDude on Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

OldDude wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:17 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:44 pm I think Shelby and Dort stay. Seeing what Stack did down the stretch with this year’s roster has to be encouraging. If they are mature and have sound heads, they will understand that Stack rewards players who stick with the program. No one should expect PT as a freshman unless they are a clear stud. From what we saw of Shelby in his limited minutes, he has upside, but he was far from a stud. However, as a 4-year player, he could be really good and would likely see dividends for his time developing under Stack and staff (like what Thomas saw this season).

In the introductions last night , the point was made (including the video board graphics) that the players were being recognized as "graduates". Don't believe any mention of being senior night ( course hard to tell with our PA system ). Jordan is a SEC Scholar Athlete of the Year so think grad school is a viable path. Love his tenacity but not sure the NBA is likely.
Wright won’t be an nba player. I do believe Liam will be on an NBA roster next year. As far as the rest of the team, I think a strong offseason from Lawrence can generate some nba buzz.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Winning makes it easier for kids to buy in long term. Some of these younger players are gonna improve in the off-season. We'll miss Liam, but we have enough parts to be better next season. That's exciting.
Dsdore
Ensign

Post by Dsdore »

I hope Dia stays. I see a great deal of potential in him. He has excellent athleticism for his size. I believe his only limitations will be based on his determination to improve. He is the type of player suited for Coach Stackhouse's proven ability to develop.
Locked Previous topicNext topic