Why I don't really care about college basketball...

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

thefan
Captain

Why I don't really care about college basketball...

Post by thefan »

anymore.

1.) The person who is fouled gets charged with the foul, example: shooter backs into the player guarding them (many times flagrantly),

2.) Offensive players loosing balance or tripping on themselves and the foul called on the defense,

3.) Palming and carrying the ball (it has gone way past ridiculous!),

4.) Taking 4 or five steps with the ball and announcers calling it a great play (might have been if they were playing rugby),

5.) Offenses having multiple persons in the 3 second lane for 5 to 8 seconds (they should at least have a table and chairs for convenience),

6. Too many time outs! 2 per half should be enough,

7. Coaches loving the cameras, barking out strategy (looks good but the players aren't listening),

8. Don't know why, but in my opinion, the refereeing was far superior when only using 2 per game!

Whew, got that off my chest. Thanks for your attention!

Versus75
Admiral

Things that could improve in college basketball...

Post by Versus75 »

9. An offensive player bounces the ball off the foot of a defender who was standing still and the defender is charged with a kicked ball.

10. The defense does its job by tying up the ball and the offense retains the ball half of the time (alternating possession).

11. A defensive player flops and the refs forget that this is a violation.

12. A coach can walk onto the court far enough to affect the action and the refs forget that this is a violation.
Last edited by Versus75 on Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obvious
Captain

Re: Why I don't really care about college basketball...

Post by Obvious »

I care about the game tonight. I care enough to even go to the game.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

thefan wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:33 pm anymore.

1.) The person who is fouled gets charged with the foul, example: shooter backs into the player guarding them (many times flagrantly),

2.) Offensive players loosing balance or tripping on themselves and the foul called on the defense,

4.) Taking 4 or five steps with the ball and announcers calling it a great play (might have been if they were playing rugby),

5.) Offenses having multiple persons in the 3 second lane for 5 to 8 seconds (they should at least have a table and chairs for convenience),

7. Coaches loving the cameras, barking out strategy (looks good but the players aren't listening),

8. Don't know why, but in my opinion, the refereeing was far superior when only using 2 per game!

Then why participate in a college basketball message board?
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:55 pm
thefan wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:33 pm anymore.

Then why participate in a college basketball message board?
Vanderbilt has come back from the depths to finally host an important college basketball game and someone posts this on gameday. Incredible.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Why i do care: games like this!
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

While the timing of this post might be enigmatic (befitting TheFan :) ), I can't help but agree with most of the points in it. The basic rules of the game that were drilled into my head decades ago in elementary school -- palming, double dribbling, traveling, charging, time in the paint -- no longer seem to apply, at any level, be it college, the NBA, even high school.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

What I enjoy about college basketball

Post by LawoftheWest »

The original poster wrote about what he or she did not like about today's basketball. However, the positives were overlooked.

1. I believe that today's players in general are more athletic than, say, 20 years ago.
2. Part of the reason for better athleticism is better training, starting at a younger age.
3. Years ago the game involved more "mugging", where players beat up upon each other.
4. Rules changes have led to less hand checking, which had slowed the game and led to more physicality.
5. Big men are more athletic, fluid in their movements.
6. Today's players are taller and stronger than in the past.
7. The shot clock has stopped "keep away" basketball.
8. Almost always today's players shake hands with the opposing players after the game ends.
9. And what could top Vandy''s last second wins against Tennessee and Auburn? Truly exciting.

Edit: Bonus #1, I can now watch most Vandy basketball games on TV, usually the SEC Network, whereas at some point in the past they were not available to watch. I live over 800 miles from Nashville, so I can't get to the games.

In conclusion, I enjoy men's college basketball more than ever. There are probably other reasons i can't think of off the top of my head.

As a wonderful bonus #2, the women's game has matured, with better players overall.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

One of the best innovations is the shot clock!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Adding to the list. Players mouth off at refs and don’t get technical fouls or have any recourse.

(But if a Vanderbilt player taps his head at a ref indicating he was hit in the head and they didn’t call it, the refs call a technical on him.)

Also I don’t like how sometimes defensive players are just standing there with their hands up, making no aggressive moves at all, the offensive player dribbles into him and attempts a shot and initiates contact, but it is usually a foul on the defensive player who’s just standing there.

And the no call on walks drives me crazy. Players can take three or four steps now, especially if they’re going towards the goal for a dunk, and not get called for traveling.

And the no calls on goaltending. Defensive players can knock the ball off of the rim or reach into the basket and block shots and not get called for goaltending.

And the teams which play super aggressive full-court pressure defenses get away with fouls because the refs know if they call every foul the game would take four + hours and all the players would foul out. You especially see this in high school girls basketball games. The team playing full court would double and triple team the other team’s guard before she could even get to half court and they are hacking her, tripping her, shoving her, etc., and she falls down and the refs call traveling instead of the obvious foul that causes her to fall down. That drives me crazy.

Also makeup calls are ridiculous. You know if a ref makes a bad call against the other team, they’re going to turn around and make a bad call against your team to make up for it. (Although that benefited us in the Arkansas game — I think the refs realized they made a mistake on the foul near the end of the first half, and most of the close calls went Vanderbilt’s way in the second half.)
Last edited by Golddore68 on Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

I didn't care either when this year's Vandy team was 10-12 (3-6) and had just lost 101-44 to Alabama.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Thanks for sharing.🙄
Locked Previous topicNext topic