What should have happened?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

cc11316
Rear Admiral

What should have happened?

Post by cc11316 »

That 2nd half was awesome and has me wanting to get back to Memorial for good times again. This morning, I woke up and couldn't get that fiasco that happened at the end of the first half off my mind. I mean I officiated high school for years and I can't understand for the life of my why Black wasn't penalized for taunting and Davis for pushing Manjon. The only one punished was Manjon and he was assessed two technicals and ejected (which seemed overkill).

This is what I think should have occurred:
- Black (Ark) technical for taunting
- Manjon (Van) technical for the shove
- Davis (Ark) technical for his shove

No ejections so Stack likely wouldn't have reacted to draw his T had that been the penalties so 2 T's for Ark and 1 T for Vandy. Thoughts?

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Re: What should have happened?

Post by Vandy187187 »

What should have happened is just a T on Black, because if they T him up right away that stops everything in its tracks and there is nothing else to review.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

I agree with cc. I doubt that the officials could have stepped in in time after Black's taunt of QMB to prevent the actions of Ezra and of Davis. Then probably no T on Stack, and no additional taunting of Black toward the Vandy bench (nothing to cry about). Black showed himself to be a first-class jerk in all this and is now a member of my all-time Vandy opponent jerk team -- a high honor indeed. The Vandy opponent jerk team might be a good topic for a future thread.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

geeznotagain wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:25 am I agree with cc. I doubt that the officials could have stepped in in time after Black's taunt of QMB to prevent the actions of Ezra and of Davis. Then probably no T on Stack, and no additional taunting of Black toward the Vandy bench (nothing to cry about). Black showed himself to be a first-class jerk in all this and is now a member of my all-time Vandy opponent jerk team -- a high honor indeed. The Vandy opponent jerk team might be a good topic for a future thread.
I nominate Ray Mears.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Vandy187187 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:52 am What should have happened is just a T on Black, because if they T him up right away that stops everything in its tracks and there is nothing else to review.
Wait a minute. You think the officials ought to do their job ? What a novel concept.

This will be reviewed by the conference as a matter of course won't it ?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:34 am
geeznotagain wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:25 am I agree with cc. I doubt that the officials could have stepped in in time after Black's taunt of QMB to prevent the actions of Ezra and of Davis. Then probably no T on Stack, and no additional taunting of Black toward the Vandy bench (nothing to cry about). Black showed himself to be a first-class jerk in all this and is now a member of my all-time Vandy opponent jerk team -- a high honor indeed. The Vandy opponent jerk team might be a good topic for a future thread.
I nominate Ray Mears.
Matt Walsh
Jaokim Noah
Renaldo Balkman
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

Many years of observation have convinced me that SEC officials have an unconscious antipathy towards Vanderbilt because they think Vanderbilt doesn't take sports (SEC level) seriously.

Somedays I think it is not unconscious, but conscious.

CONQUER!!...., and PREVAIL!!!
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:07 pm
I nominate Ray Mears.
Matt Walsh
Jaokim Noah
Renaldo Balkman
I could watch Stallings play keep away with Joakim Noah all day long. :lol: :lol: :lol:
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I'm still not convinced Manjon actually shoved Black. It looked like a helluva flop by Black.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

mathguy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:39 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:07 pm

I nominate Ray Mears.
Matt Walsh
Jaokim Noah
Renaldo Balkman
I could watch Stallings play keep away with Joakim Noah all day long. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was hilarious, a great moment indeed. I know Mears was probably the most hated guy to walk through Memorial but Dale Brown, Pitino and Calipari seem(ed) to like it as well. As far as players go, my all time favorite to hate was Cousins even though we got to see him just one time. There have been alot of UT guys easy to hate as well (Chism and Tony White to name a couple) and let's never forget Dwayne Shintzius.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Marshall Henderson, Ole Miss guard, I think tops my list.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

If Manjon hadn't gotten his technical then Stack wouldn't have gotten his technical, and the bunch of one-sided technical free throws wouldn't have been taken with Black doing his crybaby taunting. If that had not happened, then our players might not have gone into our super-driven, zoned-in mode to beat #15 Arkansas.

That was a tough game up until then, which was the turning point in the game. It flipped a switch and made the team determined to win. I don't know if that feeling will happen with the team again but I wish they could have that same drive again.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:47 pm I'm still not convinced Manjon actually shoved Black. It looked like a helluva flop by Black.
It was pretty clear on tv. Because of the way that he pushed him even though it was not a hard push, he was basically falling over QMB's legs. Which sort of tripped him I think. I'm not saying there wasn't a bit of flop in there too. There could've been.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

Most hated team:

Didn’t Doug Roth once shoot the bird at our crowd after hitting a three?

Ps I loved how our crowd wld cheer every time Black touched the ball. I remember doing this as a student in the late 80s. Do may other school do this

MtnVandy
#BeatBama
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

cheer or jeer/boo mtn?
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

DWAYNE SCHINTZIUS (who passed away in April of 2012) of "ole tennis ball fame would have to be on my list of "All time despised". Hope he doesn't mind me bringing him up.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

The Vanderbilt crowd BOOED whenever Black touched the ball. Unfortunately, sometimes he did something good and the Arky fans in F, 2F, 3F roared.

But I believe we were getting to him. Missed free throws, blocked shots and turnovers followed.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

It was before my time, but I assume LSU's Collis Temple would be on the list.

And while I know no one will top Ray Mears as the coach of the all-time most hated team, Dale Brown, Rick Pitino, and Kevin O'Neill would be honorable mention.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

memphisVUalum wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:03 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:47 pm I'm still not convinced Manjon actually shoved Black. It looked like a helluva flop by Black.
It was pretty clear on tv. Because of the way that he pushed him even though it was not a hard push, he was basically falling over QMB's legs. Which sort of tripped him I think. I'm not saying there wasn't a bit of flop in there too. There could've been.
I've looked at the play several times and just don't see anything egregious enough from the 6-0 Manjon to have pushed the 6-7 Black hard enough. The way Black flailed his arms you'd think he'd been hit by a Ford F150.

All this is beside the point, however. The worst of the brouhaha was the fact that Black went unpenalized and undisciplined for his show in front of the Vanderbilt bench while waiting to shoot the technicals.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Tom Schuberth
Brandon Crump
JP Prince
Austin Crowley
Corey Brewer
Andrew DeClerq

Roth didn't flip off VU - it was another team on TV.
Locked Previous topicNext topic