Alabama

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Alabama

Post by charlestonalum »

I am sure Jason or someone will give us a full scouting report, but they are undefeated in SEC and probably the best team in the league. However, despite the Gramling loss, I think we scare the hell out of opponents because of our size, floor play, and when we hit 3's - our shooting. Stackhouse teams are tough and Memorial is reclaiming its magic. This will be a very big challenge, but let's face it, we are getting better and more balanced. That makes defending us hard.

Jason94
Admiral

Re: Alabama

Post by Jason94 »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:18 pm I am sure Jason or someone will give us a full scouting report, but they are undefeated in SEC and probably the best team in the league. However, despite the Gramling loss, I think we scare the hell out of opponents because of our size, floor play, and when we hit 3's - our shooting. Stackhouse teams are tough and Memorial is reclaiming its magic. This will be a very big challenge, but let's face it, we are getting better and more balanced. That makes defending us hard.
Remember, the Grambling and Southern Miss losses were due to us playing well below our talent level. Which is why people should be upset at those losses - both represented us playing about 20+ points worse than we typically would have. We scare teams not because of the results on the court (necessarily), but because we have a very deep and talented frontcourt with Stute, Wright and Robbins. Robbins in conference only games is leading the conference in offensive efficiency, blocked shots, FG%, and rate of drawn fouls. His fouls drawn rate so far is actually higher than Pippens was in conference last season. Wright has likewise turned things on in the conference season, as he is starting to hit his shots. Hopefully this can be kept up.

Bama is good however - their only two losses are to Uconn and Gonzaga, and have wins against Michigan St., UNC, at Houston, Memphis, UK and at Ark. Young and talented.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Sears and Miller shoot 80% and 83% at the FT line... if you want to foul somebody, foul Clowney, Bediako, and Pringles...55/38/47% at the line. Sears lit up Belmont for 27 points last season when he played for the Ohio Bobcats...10-11 shooting and 4-4 from three. Whatever Belmont did against him...do the opposite.

Timme from Gonzaga scored 29 on Bama and only shot one three (a miss)...his 29/10 double-double would suggest Bama could be susceptible in the paint. Miller had 36 vs the Zags but shot it 22 times in the Bama loss.

But Bama (#4) is better than Arky who at #15 ranking was maybe not worthy of that ranking.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Miller, their 5 star star is from Antioch, TN so there will be a few more Bama fans at Memorial. Hope we plan a warm homecoming for this really good opponent player. Bama is balanced and the only weakness I can see is they can turn it over so we need to take advantage of that with an agressive D and convert the TO's to transition points. We have an advantage in the paint if Liam can stay in game.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Right now, between us and Bama, Bama is the scary one.

I'm not saying that to denigrate us, but, Bama isn't just beating people ... they are ripping them apart.

Beat LSU by 40. Beat Arkansas by 15 (and on the road, not at home like we did). Beat Kentucky by 26. Ole Miss by 22. Miss St. hung in there ... Bama went on the road to only bat them by 11. That's just Bama's last 5 games. Yikes!

I hope for the best. Our last few games have been two wins (one against a ranked team!) and two close road losses to good teams. So there's no reason why we can't hang around. And if we hang around ... well, Memorial Magic happens sometimes.

But Bama is looking really intimidating at the moment.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:33 am Miller, their 5 star star is from Antioch, TN so there will be a few more Bama fans at Memorial. Hope we plan a warm homecoming for this really good opponent player. Bama is balanced and the only weakness I can see is they can turn it over so we need to take advantage of that with an agressive D and convert the TO's to transition points. We have an advantage in the paint if Liam can stay in game.
I understand the refs already called the first foul on Liam for looking at a Bama player.
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

"I understand the refs already called the first foul on Liam for looking at a Bama player."

AND, a double technical on Stack for asking what happened. :o

CONQUER!!...., and PREVAIL!!!
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Alabama has talent all over the court and is well-coached.

That's a scary combination. I'll be curious about the line. 10? More?
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

Won't have to worry about Darius Miles, who is up on a Capital Murder charge as of today.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

KudzuLeague wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:40 pm Won't have to worry about Darius Miles, who is up on a Capital Murder charge as of today.
https://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/2023 ... urder.html

No matter how little he contributed this season, this is a distraction for them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic