NCAA should allow every football team to practice...

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

thefan
Captain

NCAA should allow every football team to practice...

Post by thefan »

through the day of the National Title Game!

docdore
Vice Admiral

Re: NCAA should allow every football team to practice...

Post by docdore »

i'm sure all the players not participating in bowl games would love that.
Georgiadore
Captain

Post by Georgiadore »

Years ago Bobby Knight, after his team had lost in the NCAA tournament (or maybe didn't even make it - I don't remember), had the returning players practice throughout the NCAA tournament, even though their season was done. I don't know what the rule is now in basketball, or in football. But you're right - the players might revolt, understandably.
BWSeven
Chief

Post by BWSeven »

Coaches say the extra practices help in developing players for the following year. I've always doubted that claim.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Respectfully disagree. There is nothing like the end to the grind. Players were finished after the first half of the Vawl game. Need time to re-set mentally and physically.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

BWSeven wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:40 am Coaches say the extra practices help in developing players for the following year. I've always doubted that claim.
Its true. In bowl prep you get a couple of week's of practice. Most of that is spent with young players getting lots of reps and scrimmaging. The older players and those who actually play a lot don't do more than a few days practicing. Its like getting 50% of another spring practice. Highly beneficial.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

There’s also finals and end of the semester academic work that a lot of D1 players are playing catch up on. Also, not a fan of the possibility of injury in what would be a fairly meaningless practice session. Would we really want a young lineman who is expected to be a key contributor next season tear an ACL in an early December practice?
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

Didn't say they had to practice but suggested they be allowed if so desire! Grades can also be affected by a bowl game!
Locked Previous topicNext topic