If it weren't for the electronic ticket requirement

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

PeteFox
Vice Admiral

If it weren't for the electronic ticket requirement

Post by PeteFox »

I might consider buying season tickets this year. However, I have no desire to undergo the inevitable hassle of trying to figure out the ins and outs of the internet/phone app connections.
I know I'll have to figure it out sooner or later, but it will have to wait until it's something I REALLY want to see.
VU football being the love/have relationship it is for me, it's just not worth it. Maybe the horse will learn how to sing (old joke, look it up).

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: If it weren't for the electronic ticket requirement

Post by FayetteDore »

Prepare yourself for some flak from the get-with-it crowd, which I got last year.

I don't have a problem with digital tickets for myself; used them for concerts for years. What I DO have a problem with is, according to the Vanderbilt mobile ticketing website, if I transfer a ticket to a friend, relative or anybody, THAT person has to have a VU ticket account. (It specifically says: Please note that if the recipient does not have a Vanderbilt ticket account, they must create an account to accept the tickets.)

Because the bar code can only be used once, I don't know why I can't screenshot it and text it to someone? (A poster on here tells me he does that but the website says the recipient must have an account. Is it wrong?) I can't count the number of times I've given an extra ticket to somebody on the sidewalk or handed it to those info guys in the high seats outside the stadium gates and asked them to give it to someone.

BTW, they DO do printed tickets: that's what they sell at the box office on game days.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
MountainDore
Lieutenant

Post by MountainDore »

Granted, it's not difficult for fans of other schools to set up an account, but if it keeps at least some of the tickets in the hands of people wearing black and gold, I'm okay with it.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I like deciding to go to event on the day of the game and buying a ticket cheap outside. That's gone.
JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by JWCommodore »

Will the ticket office not make an accommodation for you Pete? I didn't have a smart phone last season and they printed my tickets for me. I did have to call the office and speak to someone but it was no problem.
JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by JWCommodore »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:57 am Prepare yourself for some flak from the get-with-it crowd, which I got last year.

I don't have a problem with digital tickets for myself; used them for concerts for years. What I DO have a problem with is, according to the Vanderbilt mobile ticketing website, if I transfer a ticket to a friend, relative or anybody, THAT person has to have a VU ticket account. (It specifically says: Please note that if the recipient does not have a Vanderbilt ticket account, they must create an account to accept the tickets.)

Because the bar code can only be used once, I don't know why I can't screenshot it and text it to someone? (A poster on here tells me he does that but the website says the recipient must have an account. Is it wrong?) I can't count the number of times I've given an extra ticket to somebody on the sidewalk or handed it to those info guys in the high seats outside the stadium gates and asked them to give it to someone.

BTW, they DO do printed tickets: that's what they sell at the box office on game days.
I'm about 99.9% certain the screenshot method will work. I've done this before with other electronic tickets and never had a problem.
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

THANK GOD that my wife knows how to navigate the app for the electronic ticketing (I can't do it, but I think it really is pretty easy). Regarding the sharing of tickets . . . . again, we've been "screen shooting/texting photos" for years without any problem. EXAMPLE - I regularly let my wife out when we drive by the gym or The Hawk and she goes on in while I park. She shoots me a screen shot via text and I stroll on in when I arrive. It's not a problem. Hope the original poster will get some help and figure it out -- we need all the black and gold rear ends in seats as we can get.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Thanks JWCommodore. I'll try it for the Ole Miss game, the only game I know I won't be able to attend this fall.

Btw, I just successfully put the tickets for the Elon game onto my phone. I followed the 4 easy steps described on the VU mobile ticketing instructions and it's a piece of cake. Yay for me! :D
Last edited by FayetteDore on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captcook
Captain

Post by Captcook »

oh for goodness sake... get over it. lol
Ok, if you just want to be a stubborn mule and not allow for any change or use of technology, then no problem... stay in the cave. Change/evolvement is inevitable... even for a stubborn University. Save the time of posting to gripe about it.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:56 pm I like deciding to go to event on the day of the game and buying a ticket cheap outside. That's gone.
Not so sure about that. Last year was supposedly all digital and the guys with wads of printed tickets to sell ("Got any extra tickets??") were still everywhere. I'll let you know if I see them Saturday night.
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

This is a copy and paste of one of my old posts of how I handled the electronic tickets for baseball. This was done on an android phone, but an iPhone should be similar.

Here is what I did for baseball and this was for 34 games. Took about 2 hours for 2 tickets, but I never had to use the ticket app again.

On my phone, while at home:

1. bring up the ticket in the phone app and do a screen capture for each game ticket. It will be saved to a folder name Screenshots.

2. Rename each screenshot with a name that somehow corresponds to the game and seat number. I used Game_02_07.jpg for my baseball tickets, but maybe for the football games, the name in fb_yyyymmdd_07.jpg might be better. If you connect your phone to a PC, using File Explorer to rename the files is easier

3. Copy the screenshots to a new folder called Tickets. Create a shortcut to your home screen for the Tickets folder. Do not delete the images in the Screenshots folder yet so that you will have a duplicate in case you accidentally delete an image in the Tickets folder.

4. At the game, open the Tickets folder, click on the image for the game to display the ticket screenshot. Show it to the ticket taker to scan.

5. To transfer the ticket to someone else, just attach the screenshot image in a text and send. Then all is needed is to open the text and click on the image to make full screen on the phone. Show it to the ticket taker to scan.

6. After the game, delete those tickets in the Tickets folder so that the next game will be listed first.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Captcook wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:40 pm oh for goodness sake... get over it. lol
Ok, if you just want to be a stubborn mule and not allow for any change or use of technology, then no problem... stay in the cave. Change/evolvement is inevitable... even for a stubborn University. Save the time of posting to gripe about it.
Don't be an @$$. You too will be old one day.
Dores137
Lieutenant

Post by Dores137 »

Did Vandy give a reason for switching to purely electronic tickets? Was it to prevent scalping and fradulent tickets or simply to save the cost and hassle of the ticket office printing tickets? I understand it is the way now, but Vandy doesn't exactly have a huge fan base and it seems they should be willing to print tickets for fans who don't have a smart phone. Especially since they are likely older and may have been loyal attendees for many decades. It would be unfortunate for such people to now be cut out.
Locked Previous topicNext topic