HERE TIZ: The 18th Annual OFFICIAL VANDYMANIA 'Predict the Season' CONTEST!!

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

HERE TIZ: The 18th Annual OFFICIAL VANDYMANIA 'Predict the Season' CONTEST!!

Post by BrentVU »

Last year at this time... Clark Lea had just taken over for Derek Mason and was talking about rebuilding the Vanderbilt "culture" from the ground up. There were concerns over whether universities should let fans back into stadiums due to the Delta variant. Fans were confident that Lea couldn't do any worse than Mason, whose last season had been winless; the ETSU opener would certainly get his tenure off to a solid start.

How long ago that seems! Georgia from our own SEC East won the natty; USC and UCLA will soon bolt for the B1G $$; and players are making NIL money right and left. Vandy lost its opener in disastrous fashion; our beloved Dores went 2-10, with both wins coming on last-minute Joe Bulovas field goals. But now... excitement is starting to build for Team Two. Lea has been consistent in his message, and has an all-new defensive staff. A 27-man recruiting class and six new incoming transfers have augmented the team's speed and "length." Vandy opens in Hawai'i of all places, and a 12-game schedule stretches in front of us like a Field of Dreams.

This is the 18th annual edition of the OFFICIAL VandyMania Preseason Prediction Contest. You should know what to do by now! Answer the questions below in a reply to this thread. A perfect score would be 60 points. At the end of the season, we'll look at everyone's predictions and declare a winner or winners. I do this every year, mainly because I am curious as to what loyal fans' collective expectations for the season are. I am the sole judge of this contest-- I usually enter the contest myself (and sometimes I even win-- last year vandy05 and I tied). Ready?

1. How many games will Vanderbilt win in the REGULAR SEASON? (Not including SECCG, bowls or playoffs. There are 12 games. (10 points. Integer values only, please. NOTE: Last year the correct answer would have been 2. You're still picking the number of Vandy wins at the end of the regular season and must hit it on the nose.)

2. Which two teams will meet for the SEC Championship Game? (5 points each)

3. Who will be the most valuable SEC offensive and defensive player, as named by AP? (5 points each)

4. Which four teams will be selected for the College Football Playoff? (5 points each)

5. Who will be this year's Heisman Trophy winner? (10 points) Last year's winner, Bryce Young of Alabama, is back for another season.

Make sure your answers are not ambiguous, or I might count them wrong. There are no prizes, just the admiration of your fellow VandyManiacs (vandy05 and I are still basking in the glory). Contest closes Wednesday morning, August 24, when the thread is locked and archived. Good luck!

cc11316
Rear Admiral

Re: HERE TIZ: The 18th Annual OFFICIAL VANDYMANIA 'Predict the Season' CONTEST!!

Post by cc11316 »

This thread indicates we are so close to the season started. Thanks Brent !

1. 3

2. Georgia -vs- Bama

3. Bryce Young (Bama, Offense), Jalen Carter (Georgia, Defense)

4. Alabama, Ohio St. Clemson, Notre Dame

5. Bryce Young
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: HERE TIZ: The 18th Annual OFFICIAL VANDYMANIA 'Predict the Season' CONTEST!!

Post by charlestonalum »

1. 4
2. Bama and UGa
3. Clemson, Bama, Notre Dame, oklahoma
4. B. Young
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

1. How many games will Vanderbilt win in the REGULAR SEASON? 3

2. Which two teams will meet for the SEC Championship Game? Alabama, Georgia

3. Who will be the most valuable SEC offensive and defensive player, as named by AP? Bryce Young, Will Anderson

4. Which four teams will be selected for the College Football Playoff? Alabama, Ohio State, USCw, Georgia

5. Who will be this year's Heisman Trophy winner? C.J. Stroud

BONUS PREDICTION: Alabama wins the national championship and Nick Saban retires.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

1. 5
2. Alabama vs Georgia
3. [will enter this before we play Hawaii]
4. Alabama, Oklahoma, Penn State, Southern California
5. Bryce Young
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Hi Brent! Thanks for doing this.

1) 3. I wish I could be more optimistic. Frankly, this is a bit optimistic. I do think we are going to be a lot better than last year and are moving in the right direction. Very tough schedule. Still need the offense to show me we won't be running up the middle and pocket passing 90% of the time. If Wright and Davis stay healthy, we have a ceiling of 5 wins. At NIU is a pivotal game.

2) Alabama v. Georgia

3) Jahmyr Gibbs, Will Anderson. Maybe a reach on Gibbs - but Bama will be great and, good as Young is, he lost a bunch of really good receivers.

4) Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson

5) CJ Stroud
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

roanoke wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:46 am Hi Brent! Thanks for doing this.
Welcome back, roanoke! (If roanoke is back calling for more misdirection, all is again right with the world.) :)
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

1. 4 Games

2. Texas A&M vs Georgia

3. Offense: Bryce Young / Defense: Will Anderson

4. Texas A&M / Ohio State / Georgia / Notre Dame

5. CJ Stroud
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

1) 3 games
2) A&M vs UGA
3) Offense: B Young Defense: Jordan Davis
4) A&M, UGA, Ohio St, ND
5) Bryce Young
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

1) 7.

2) Don’t care.

3) Don’t care.

4) Don’t care.

5) Don’t care.
skinnerfan
Lieutenant

Post by skinnerfan »

2.Alabama vs Ga
3.Bryce Young / Will Anderson
4.Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St. , Clemson
5.Bryce Young
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

1. 4, he said optimistically.
2. Bama vs. UGA
3. Young/Anderson
4. Bama, OSU, USC and UGA
5. Caleb Williams

Hopefully there will be a dark horse or two that makes all this more interesting. Otherwise it’s all chalk picks, with Williams not that much of a long shot.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

1. 4
2. way out on a limb...Alabama / Georgia
3. O: Will Rogers D: Will Anderson
4. Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Southern California
5. CJ Stroud
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

My guesses:

1. 4
2. Georgia, Alabama
3. Steson Bennett, Georgia; Will Anderson, Alabama
4. Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, USC
5. Will Anderson, Alabama
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

1. 5 games (I'm feeling frisky!)
2. Bama and Georgia
3. Bryce Young and Nolan Smith
4. Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma State
5. Spencer Sanders
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:32 pm BONUS PREDICTION: Alabama wins the national championship and Nick Saban retires.
Sadly, at least for the 2nd part, no.
(https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... saban-2030)
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

1. How many games will Vanderbilt win in the REGULAR SEASON? (Not including SECCG, bowls or playoffs. There are 12 games. 5-7 (2-6). The TN game will be extra spirited if we are still in the running for a bowl

Alabama and Georgia

3. Who will be the most valuable SEC offensive and defensive player, as named by AP? (5 points each)
Will Anderson (Alabama)
Will Rogers ( MS state)

4. Which four teams will be selected for the College Football Playoff? (5 points each)
Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Texas A&M

5. Who will be this year's Heisman Trophy winner? (10 points) Last year's winner, Bryce Young of Alabama, is back for another season.
Stroud (QB Ohio State)
secchamp
Lieutenant

Post by secchamp »

Ready for the season!
1. 5
2. Alabama and Georgia
3. Will Anderson and Bryce Young
4. Alabama, USCw, Ohio State, Georgia
5. Caleb Williams
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

1. How many games will Vanderbilt win in the REGULAR SEASON?

Texas A&M vs Kentucky

Kayshon Boutte, LSU
Henry To'oTo'o, Alabama

Texas A&M - Oregon - USCw - Miami (fl)

5. Who will be this year's Heisman Trophy winner? (10 points)
Caleb Williams, QB, USC
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Contest now locked. Average No. of wins predicted by Vandy fans: 4.19. (DickeysNightmare's prediction of 7 was an outlier; but I'd be glad for him to be right.)
Locked Previous topicNext topic