Reaction to Lea's statement, 'We know in time Vanderbilt football will be the best program in the country'

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Reaction to Lea's statement, 'We know in time Vanderbilt football will be the best program in the country'

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

As noted on the other thread, there has been a fair amount of snickering about this on social media.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, sure, it looks foolish, idiotic, and out of touch with reality. But on the other hand, it's gotten Vanderbilt and Clark Lea noticed today. I remember thinking last year during media days that I had never seen VU get less media coverage.
dcdore
Admiral

Re: Reaction to Lea's statement, 'We know in time Vanderbilt football will be the best program in the country'

Post by dcdore »

My take:
It's possible to be the best program without being the winningest program.

I doubt many will/would see it that way. And I would agree that winning a lot more than we have historically would be necessary to be the best program.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Glenn Guilbeau, Outkick: VANDERBILT DESTINED TO BE THE ‘BEST PROGRAM IN THE COUNTRY?’ WHAT IS CLARK LEA SMOKING?

https://www.outkick.com/vanderbilt-dest ... a-smoking/
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Clark is channeling his inner Derek Mason - unimaginative offense, bad defense and dumb statements at SEC Media Days. It's like nothing has really changed except our uniforms have greatly improved. Lea hasn't shown me much so far other than he is recruiting slightly better than his predecessor. I hope the AD holds him accountable if we don't become the best program in the SEC.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

What do you expect him to say? “I expect that we’re probably not going to be very good this season and will likely go winless in the SEC again.”

Of course he’s not going to say that. He’s going to show he has confidence in his players.

There’s no way in the world of NIL and good players transferring out that Vanderbilt will ever be “the best program.” We’re probably never even going to be in contention to win the SEC East.
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

He did not say "We know... we will be #1 and national champs". I don't think we'd want to compromise to the degree necessary to reach that high/low.

Definition of "best" program may include being consistently competitive on the field with STUDENT athletes that actually attend class, grow as individuals, and graduate at a high rate, while running the program cleanly and with integrity. Just don't call them "champions of life", Butch.

If we could consistently field a cleanly run 7-5 or 8-4 (4-4) team that would be something to be proud of, and arguably (one of) the best program(s) in this entertainment industry that's rife with crooked programs and lax regulations.

Of course, in this day of derision, sarcasm, and upmanship, social media will have its field day with Lea's quote...
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Doreknox wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:41 pm Clark is channeling his inner Derek Mason - unimaginative offense, bad defense and dumb statements at SEC Media Days. It's like nothing has really changed except our uniforms have greatly improved. Lea hasn't shown me much so far other than he is recruiting slightly better than his predecessor. I hope the AD holds him accountable if we don't become the best program in the SEC.
indeed it makes one recall mason at media days. couldn't clark have been a wee bit more restrained and avoided derision? don't forget, knox..... the "v" has also changed.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

dcdore wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:09 pm My take:
It's possible to be the best program without being the winningest program.

I doubt many will/would see it that way. And I would agree that winning a lot more than we have historically would be necessary to be the best program.
Yeah, he is probably copying the Franklin shtick to the recruits of best academic program playing in the best athletic conference in the country. That makes you the best right? Context. In XCJF case, he uses the same line at PSU.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

docdore wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:40 pm
Doreknox wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:41 pm Clark is channeling his inner Derek Mason - unimaginative offense, bad defense and dumb statements at SEC Media Days. It's like nothing has really changed except our uniforms have greatly improved. Lea hasn't shown me much so far other than he is recruiting slightly better than his predecessor. I hope the AD holds him accountable if we don't become the best program in the SEC.
indeed it makes one recall mason at media days. couldn't clark have been a wee bit more restrained and avoided derision? don't forget, knox..... the "v" has also changed.
Did Mason make the crazy prediction that Vanderbilt would win the SEC at SEC Media Days? I thought he made that prediction in the first press conference he had when he was first introduced as Vanderbilt’s head coach. I don’t remember him saying anything that outrageous at any of the SEC Media Days, but maybe I’m wrong.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I like what he said. Pundits are gonna pun. Haters are gonna hate.
Would you want a coach who didn't strive for the best program in the country?
As others have said, best doesn't necessarily mean winningest.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Troubadore wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:34 pm He did not say "We know... we will be #1 and national champs". I don't think we'd want to compromise to the degree necessary to reach that high/low.

Definition of "best" program may include being consistently competitive on the field with STUDENT athletes that actually attend class, grow as individuals, and graduate at a high rate, while running the program cleanly and with integrity. Just don't call them "champions of life", Butch.

If we could consistently field a cleanly run 7-5 or 8-4 (4-4) team that would be something to be proud of, and arguably (one of) the best program(s) in this entertainment industry that's rife with crooked programs and lax regulations.

Of course, in this day of derision, sarcasm, and upmanship, social media will have its field day with Lea's quote...
I am with you on this one. "Best" is a subjective word subject to different meanings and interpretations. I agree that he did not say "we will be undefeated national champions".

I like his positive attitude. That will help recruiting in the long run, I believe. I also think he will be able to run more imaginative offenses and defenses as he gets better players. Just my opinion. Any and all are free to disagree.
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

I was as skeptical as anybody when James Franklin brought that attitude, then we quickly became a winning program. Back-to-back 9-4 seasons at Vanderbilt, fun, and swagger? It wasn't long ago. Talk is talk, but it is conceivable that good things could happen here again. Lots of us are ready.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If we can have the best baseball program in the country, why not at least try to have the best football program? Remember too, a lot of our SEC brethren have had "great" football programs because they've been paying off players and covering up rapes all these years. That's not our method.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Anyone remember when Bryce Drew said he was taking Vandy to the Final 4?
At the time, that was far more believable.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Doreknox wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:41 pm Clark is channeling his inner Derek Mason
Yes, this reminds me of Mason's "I the Man" exultations after the win over Missouri which looked foolhardy within a week.

I suppose the argument can be made that this sounds foolish to us because we are jaded by our intimate relationship with history and previous blow hard statements while it may sound fresh and bold to 17 year olds who know we have not been successful in the past but are not mired in the details.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Let's give Lea the benefit of the doubt and assume he means what he says. He either believes it or he doesn't, and if he believes it, why not say it?
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

He's clearly communicated what his goals are in the past. He wants us to be the best program in the nation. But specifically, the best experience for the players. We can do that. It's not crazy. People just don't want to hear him. It will involve winning lots of games, but that's not the ultimate part of being the best for him.
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

If anyone has visited campus lately and seeing the construction including that gigantic Lord of the rings Tower then they know that Vanderbilt has more money than it knows what to do with. And we also know now that football teams quality can be entirely purchased. So it is just a question of how much will you spend.
Locked Previous topicNext topic