Shakeup in Batting Order Needed

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Shakeup in Batting Order Needed

Post by cjdore »

After watching this team put up only 4 runs this weekend, I think we need some changes. Like Bulger but he is not getting it done at DH spot.......why not give Troy Leneve a shot at DH. Young is in a real funk at the plate and Diaz is not burning down the house either.

My batting order:

1) Enrique.......got to have him on bases though
2) Vaz ......has been hitting well and deserves more at bats
3) Spencer......has been hitting with some power but needs to do so with more consistency
4) Dom.......Needs to show more power at plate with consistency
5) LaNeve(DH)......Hits with power and could provide some uplift in scoring
6) Diaz........hit better earlier and needs to regain form and consistency
7) Gavin.......puts ball in play but needs to work on power
8) Tate........has power but again needs to regain consistency
9) Carter...... Valuable at SS but we need him to produce at plate or look to younger guys

cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Re: Shakeup in Batting Order Needed

Post by cjdore »

Any comments?
surlyrich
Petty Officer

Post by surlyrich »

What we need is a new hitting coach. Baxter is not getting it done. The team as a whole consistently takes the first pitch. Other teams are picking up on this and dropping fat curves in for strike one. UT did that all weekend. We should just tell the ump to go ahead and spot them strike one when we walk up to the plate. As a result, we end up hitting out of pitchers counts and are defensive at bat. The team needs to be more aggressive and attack the baseball.

We have several players who have let their swings get too long and loopy. They are late on good fastballs and out of balance on off speed stuff. I blame this again on coaching. They need to get back to a short quick stroke and look to put solid barrels on the ball. Just get back to basics (more time hitting off a tee and soft toss to be short and quick). Enrique, Spencer, Gavin, Carter and Noland are all in the long swing club right now. Spencer at 6'7" is especially long and will always need to battle to stay quick and short.

I agree on Bulger not being the answer for DH but LaNeve has had chances and hasn't shown he's able to hit SEC pitching this season. Maybe we need to go speed rather than power for DH. Maybe Polk or Hewett and stress contact and singles.

In the Sunday UT game, the offense did finally start making more solid contact but unfortunately it was always right at a defensive player rather than a gap. Hopefully that will be something to build on in the midweek game.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Not sure why Hewitt didn't get an ab this weekend. Agree with Vaz hitting second - or maybe Jones (remember JJ) - but then we have two lefties leading off the game. I can't believe Kolwyck is struggling, looked like we was getting hot and then he struck out looking twice in a row against USC and got in a funk. Young certainly disappointing so far...
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

cjdore wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:52 amAny comments?
Your lineup doesn't seem that much different than what we rolled out on sunday aside from moving Vaz way up in the lineup. With the way he is hitting in SEC play, not sure if that'd be a great idea. Looking at the stats in the below link, Vaz, Casas, and Bulger have really struggled in SEC play. Diaz not a ton better. Don't think Young has done a lot outside of that first Mizzou game. I just don't think reshuffling the batting order will do much. Nobody is consistently making good contact with the ball. I agree that the overall approach to hitting needs to change. Shorter swings, make contact, get on base, be aggressive on the base paths. That makes the pitcher more defensive opening up opportunities for home run swings.

https://vucommodores.com/wp-content/upl ... 4.3.22.pdf
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

baseball1234 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:32 am Not sure why Hewitt didn't get an ab this weekend. Agree with Vaz hitting second - or maybe Jones (remember JJ) - but then we have two lefties leading off the game. I can't believe Kolwyck is struggling, looked like we was getting hot and then he struck out looking twice in a row against USC and got in a funk. Young certainly disappointing so far...
He has a hand injury, which is why he did not play on Sunday. Coach Corbin indicated that it should not cause him to be out long.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

baseball1234 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:32 am Not sure why Hewitt didn't get an ab this weekend. Agree with Vaz hitting second - or maybe Jones (remember JJ) - but then we have two lefties leading off the game. I can't believe Kolwyck is struggling, looked like we was getting hot and then he struck out looking twice in a row against USC and got in a funk. Young certainly disappointing so far...
Agree on Hewitt......He could even be our DH......worth a shot.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Taking pitches (juicy strikes) that should be hit over the parking garage is a problem.

Whatever year it was (2012?) that we lost almost 30 games, it was a festering problem.

There was a thread on here a while back asking if that was the Corbs version of "Norman Dale from the Hoosiers movie" with his "four+ passes before a shot goes up.... or else." (With a mention of how Corbs went on a radio show that season on WNSR and wouldn't take calls)
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

cjdore wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:26 pm After watching this team put up only 4 runs this weekend, I think we need some changes. Like Bulger but he is not getting it done at DH spot.......why not give Troy Leneve a shot at DH. Young is in a real funk at the plate and Diaz is not burning down the house either.

My batting order:

1) Enrique.......got to have him on bases though Need a hitting coach to get him to PUT THE BALL ON THE GROUND!
2) Vaz ......has been hitting well and deserves more at bats
3) Spencer......has been hitting with some power but needs to do so with more consistency
4) Dom.......Needs to show more power at plate with consistency. Needs hitting coach to teach him to hit a curve/slider. He looks silly swinging at some of them.
5) LaNeve(DH)......Hits with power and could provide some uplift in scoring Currently hitting .174.
6) Diaz........hit better earlier and needs to regain form and consistency
7) Gavin.......puts ball in play but needs to work on power STILL hitting .300.
8) Tate........has power but again needs to regain consistency Hitting .287, 6 HR, 8 2B, 21 RBI
9) Carter...... Valuable at SS but we need him to produce at plate or look to younger guys
I think our biggest problem is TIMELY hitting rather than just hitting, or runners in scoring postition.
Locked Previous topicNext topic