Chatman and Thomas

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Mcflash
Lieutenant

Chatman and Thomas

Post by Mcflash »

One thing that hasn't been mentioned-- does anyone think that Chatman may have perhaps been playing on one leg the past couple of games? He seemed dead on his feet both NIT games, and last night was uncharacteristically beaten on drives to the basket by Kunkel and others. My thought is he was playing because it was his last chance to be on the court as a college player, and also because we were thin on guards with Trey Thomas being out. Not saying that Thomas is an elite defender--he isn't, has trouble keeping up with his shadow--but Thomas might have been able to hit a few threes if he had played. He might have even got unbelievably unconscious as he has a few games this year. Chatman was 0-6 and 0-4 from three and didn't come close on his attempts. Again, bad wheels. Anyway, the injury bug strikes again, so what else is new?

Also, not to call names, but there were some stupid fouls and decisions on the floor last night that need to go away next year.

Anyone halfway believe Scotty will come back?

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Chatman and Thomas

Post by MrMemorial »

Mcflash wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:53 am One thing that hasn't been mentioned-- does anyone think that Chatman may have perhaps been playing on one leg the past couple of games? He seemed dead on his feet both NIT games, and last night was uncharacteristically beaten on drives to the basket by Kunkel and others. My thought is he was playing because it was his last chance to be on the court as a college player, and also because we were thin on guards with Trey Thomas being out. Not saying that Thomas is an elite defender--he isn't, has trouble keeping up with his shadow--but Thomas might have been able to hit a few threes if he had played. He might have even got unbelievably unconscious as he has a few games this year. Chatman was 0-6 and 0-4 from three and didn't come close on his attempts. Again, bad wheels. Anyway, the injury bug strikes again, so what else is new?

Also, not to call names, but there were some stupid fouls and decisions on the floor last night that need to go away next year.

SPjr is not listed on 95% of the mock drafts. But neither was Saben Lee.

I could live with SPjr to UCLA for a grad year and Tyger Campbell back to Nashville at VU for the same. Didn't TC play for Drew Maddux at CPA before playing at some elite prep school for a year?
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:01 am
Mcflash wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:53 am One thing that hasn't been mentioned-- does anyone think that Chatman may have perhaps been playing on one leg the past couple of games? He seemed dead on his feet both NIT games, and last night was uncharacteristically beaten on drives to the basket by Kunkel and others. My thought is he was playing because it was his last chance to be on the court as a college player, and also because we were thin on guards with Trey Thomas being out. Not saying that Thomas is an elite defender--he isn't, has trouble keeping up with his shadow--but Thomas might have been able to hit a few threes if he had played. He might have even got unbelievably unconscious as he has a few games this year. Chatman was 0-6 and 0-4 from three and didn't come close on his attempts. Again, bad wheels. Anyway, the injury bug strikes again, so what else is new?

I could live with SPjr to UCLA for a grad year and Tyger Campbell back to Nashville at VU for the same. Didn't TC play for Drew Maddux at CPA before playing at some elite prep school for a year?
that would be great - I hadn't heard that rumor before - is Campbell waiting until the season is over to make a move? Campbell shoots well, distributes, has a really low turnover rate for a PG. If Pippen doesn't return that would be a great replacement.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:34 am

that would be great - I hadn't heard that rumor before - is Campbell waiting until the season is over to make a move? Campbell shoots well, distributes, has a really low turnover rate for a PG. If Pippen doesn't return that would be a great replacement.
It's a wish list thing... only based on the CPA/Maddux/Nashville connection.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:35 am
Jason94 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:34 am

It's a wish list thing... only based on the CPA/Maddux/Nashville connection.
I get it - he would definitely fit the bill and probably represent as little dropoff as possible from a 2 time ALL-SEC player.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Mcflash wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:53 am
Not halfway. Maybe I quarterway believe it.

I mean ... by all accounts he's not getting drafted. So the possibility of showcasing himself, yet again, on a team bringing in a promising recruiting class and having a legit chance to play in the NCAAs? There are definitely worse career moves if he isn't going to the NBA anyway...
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

The odds of a kid coming back to school in Pippen's situation are exceedingly low. Decisions for going to the NBA are never known for being completely rational. If I were him, I wouldn't come back to school. That kid is a PLAYER. The last two games have shown that completely. And I don't know that there is much he could do to improve on what he has already shown in terms of being NBA ready. Sure, he could get stronger, but he'd be better off doing that in the NBA. Should he leave, I would totally understand and wish him well.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

vandy05 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:07 pm The odds of a kid coming back to school in Pippen's situation are exceedingly low. Decisions for going to the NBA are never known for being completely rational. If I were him, I wouldn't come back to school. That kid is a PLAYER. The last two games have shown that completely. And I don't know that there is much he could do to improve on what he has already shown in terms of being NBA ready. Sure, he could get stronger, but he'd be better off doing that in the NBA. Should he leave, I would totally understand and wish him well.
I agree - he is what he is and an extra year of college is unlikely to change that. OTOH, he is unlikely to have a long or significant NBA career due to his physical limitations (mainly his height, but that combined with non-Westbrook type athleticism or non-Nash shooting accuracy) and does have an opportunity to do something special next season, which is something most players don't ever have the opportunity of doing. He is kind of like Chris Lofton or Damon Bailey in that he is a great college player who's skills probably don't translate to great success in the pros.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Scottie did what he could to improve his NBA hopes. He gave it his all. There's nothing left to do. However, Scottie may figure out that no matter how crafty a scorer he may be, his physical limitations will prevent him from being a star in the league; and thus, another year of college glory is glory nonetheless.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

vandy05 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:07 pm The odds of a kid coming back to school in Pippen's situation are exceedingly low. Decisions for going to the NBA are never known for being completely rational. If I were him, I wouldn't come back to school. That kid is a PLAYER. The last two games have shown that completely. And I don't know that there is much he could do to improve on what he has already shown in terms of being NBA ready. Sure, he could get stronger, but he'd be better off doing that in the NBA. Should he leave, I would totally understand and wish him well.
I agree - he is what he is and an extra year of college is unlikely to change that. OTOH, he is unlikely to have a long or significant NBA career due to his physical limitations (mainly his height, but that combined with non-Westbrook type athleticism or non-Nash shooting accuracy) and does have an opportunity to do something special next season, which is something most players don't ever have the opportunity of doing. He is kind of like Chris Lofton or Damon Bailey in that he is a great college player who's skills probably don't translate to great success in the pros.
[/quote]

I do have to admit ... I said something similar about Saban Lee and he is definitely carving a niche for himself in the NBA. The ability to get fouled is a transferable skill ... so I do have to wonder if he can't find an NBA career ... if only someone gives him a chance to start one.

Wait. What am I saying? There is absolutely NO CHANCE he can succeed in the NBA. That's why he has to come beack!!
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

mathguy wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:52 pm
I do have to admit ... I said something similar about Saban Lee and he is definitely carving a niche for himself in the NBA. The ability to get fouled is a transferable skill ... so I do have to wonder if he can't find an NBA career ... if only someone gives him a chance to start one.

Wait. What am I saying? There is absolutely NO CHANCE he can succeed in the NBA. That's why he has to come beack!!
[/quote]

I thought that Lee could stand a chance in the NBA because he has tremendous athleticism - probably the best athleticism of anyone I've seen at VU in my 32 seasons of watching basketball there. Lee didn't draw as many fouls as Pippen does, but nobody does and Lee drew a lot of fouls. Pippen is a better shooter, but not that much better, and Lee is a lot better at getting to the basket and scoring off of drives. I feel that to succeed in the NBA you have to have some outstanding skill, unless you are really tall for the position you want to play, in which case being good at a number of things will suffice. Pippen had a lot of trouble when Jones defended him, and there are an awful lot of 6'-6' players in the NBA who can reasonably keep up with Pippen. There are very few individuals who can keep up with Saben Lee.

Pippen could improve his chances if he greatly improved his shooting accuracy, though i don't know that it would be possible without changing his mechanics. His most accurate season he shot 36% from three. This year he hit 32.5% from three. It is difficult to see those percentages improving facing taller, more athletic defenders shooting from a deeper distance.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Would a lucrative NIL be enough to keep SPJ around? Maybe the knowledge that he's likely to have his name on a banner in the rafters at Memorial?

Let's not forget -- he's 1 year from a VU degree.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Re: Chatman -- dude is a warrior; no doubt, his hamstring was hurting him but he played on...I noticed near the end of both the Belmont and Dayton games he was pulling on his short to adjust the brace under it. He knew it was his last chance, and definitely didn't want it to end; I was glad the team pulled it out after he missed the FT's at the end of the Dayton game. Mental leader on the court, and likely an unheralded part of SPJ's success behind the scenes this season.
Locked Previous topicNext topic