Saturday's VU-NC State game declared a no contest: VANDY TO FINALS!

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

wbl
Rear Admiral

Re: Saturday's VU-NC State game declared a no contest: VANDY TO FINALS!

Post by wbl »

Just took a look at the NC State forum. A few people blaming their administration, especially the AD, but largely their fans think this was a fix to advance Vandy. They feel they are getting hosed, that the corrupt NCAA is protecting one of it’s elite programs.

I feel bad for them and can understand why they are so angry.

Just gotta believe there is a lot more coming out and someone at NC State is going to lose their job…will be interesting to see how this develops.

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Doreknox wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:26 am When Avant was asked if he was vaccinated, he said he didn't want to talk about "politics." That said all we needed to know about him. He thinks being vaccinated for COVID is a political issue and not a way to stop/control the disease. He paid dearly for his political bias.
It's only about politics if you make it so. Vaccines save lives. Always have. Sorry, but NC State made their own bed, They just gave the US a prime example of what a former president referred to as "herd mentality."

Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

The NCAA's decision was likely attributable to our huge fanbase. And of course to the popularity of the Whistler.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

wbl wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:24 am Just took a look at the NC State forum. A few people blaming their administration, especially the AD, but largely their fans think this was a fix to advance Vandy. They feel they are getting hosed, that the corrupt NCAA is protecting one of it’s elite programs.

I feel bad for them and can understand why they are so angry.

Just gotta believe there is a lot more coming out and someone at NC State is going to lose their job…will be interesting to see how this develops.
The NCSU athletic department, baseball coach, and players made decisions regarding vaccinating their team. Those decisions had consequences. That's life. I've read that the NCSU second baseman "is no longer with the team". I'm not sure what that means and I don't want to read too much into it but I wonder ....

I don't feel sorry for the players who chose not to get vaccinated or for the coaches who chose not require it.
accent grave over the e
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Back from the dead! Love it.

Can you imagine the horror if Clangabanga made the finals and lost to Zombie Vanderbilt?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

fldore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:45 am
Starkiller wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:33 am
Doreknox wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:26 am When Avant was asked if he was vaccinated, he said he didn't want to talk about "politics." That said all we needed to know about him. He thinks being vaccinated for COVID is a political issue and not a way to stop/control the disease. He paid dearly for his political bias.
Agreed, that was my first thought when I read his comment.

It’s not a political matter, it’s medicine. That fact that it has become political is insane.
The problem is politics have corrupted the "science".
Say what ???????????/
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

KudzuLeague wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:03 am ...Reading between the lines of the NCAA statement it sure looks like a whole bunch of NC State players must have come back with positive rapid tests...
I bet they've got multiple players who are not allowed to play because they were in close contact with the 2 teammates who tested positive.
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

fldore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:45 amThe problem is politics have corrupted the "science".
The science (quotation marks neither needed nor helpful nor desired) is NOT corrupted. It's simply been misconstrued by (mostly just) Americans, for a number of reasons, but most especially politically-related ones.
Wolfpack73
Petty Officer

Post by Wolfpack73 »

Dont know if its been posted or not but 4 of the players that tested positive were vaccinated already. Bad situation all around. Hope it doesn't spill over to your team. Will you guys get tested even though everyone is vaxxed already?or will NCAA make it mandatory before y'all play Monday?
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

vebiltdervan wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:26 pm
fldore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:45 amThe problem is politics have corrupted the "science".
The science (quotation marks neither needed nor helpful nor desired) is NOT corrupted. It's simply been misconstrued by (mostly just) Americans, for a number of reasons, but most especially politically-related ones.
We'll have to agree to disagree as we often have. Depends on your definition science. And if those who speak on its behalf as an expert can be included in the definition. I think there have been two consistent things about covid. The first being as we have navigated this over time no one has really had a clue what the right approach was as this was unknown. Mask no mask. lockdown no lockdown. isolate dont isolate. inside outside. asymptomatic spread or not. However the other consistent thing is that you'd get scientists, physicians, and other medical professionals who spoke on behalf of the science all seemed to fall within their own political lines. So while the underlying actual science may still be true and ever evolving with more information, those who speak on its behalf often do so with an air of authority as if their "science" is the truth.

Tying that all back to our situation here, I think smart people can disagree with vaccination strategies. I understand why some people think everyone should be forced to it. But I don't agree. Old, fat, and unhealthy people should take it as they are at risk. If a young healthy person is hesitant, I understand that too. Within my three degrees of separation, I know two people who died within two days of their vaccinations. Neither had any known health problems and both died from heart complications. One moderna the other was pfizer. When the J&J vaccine was delayed and many cried out about anti-vax conspiracists, I thought that was crazy. I had read the J&J stage 3 trial results. It very clearly showed an increased risk of blood clotting among their 20k vaccinated group vs 20k placebo group. But their conclusion was they couldnt be sure it was the vaccine. We still don't understand what is causing some of these adverse reactions. So was I a little spooked when I got pfizer? Hell yea I was. I'm in an extremely low risk category so I'm not worried about covid. But I took it to be a team player. However am I going to begrudge someone who is younger and healthier than I who hasnt taken it yet? No. They can weigh the risk. But to write them off as some stupid rube following their stupid politics is just elite snobbery at its worst.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I don't really feel that badly, because I don't agree with the format that requires a team that loses a game in the opening round to win both a play in game and two straight to get to the finals. I think having to play and win the play in game is punishment enough for losing a game in the first round and that one win after the play in game should get you in the finals.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 pm I don't really feel that badly, because I don't agree with the format that requires a team that loses a game in the opening round to win both a play in game and two straight to get to the finals. I think having to play and win the play in game is punishment enough for losing a game in the first round and that one win after the play in game should get you in the finals.
Except that the math doesn't work.
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

fldore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:56 pm...I understand why some people think everyone should be forced to [be vaccinated]. But I don't agree...
That's just a very strange claim. To my knowledge, I have never met one single person who argued that everyone should be forced to be vaccinated. I've met lots of people who firmly believe that everyone should WANT to be vaccinated. Big difference. That's wanting America to treat Covid like we treated WWII, instead of the diametrically opposed ways Americans felt about the second Iraq war.

...Within my three degrees of separation, I know two people who died within two days of their vaccinations. Neither had any known health problems and both died from heart complications. One moderna the other was pfizer. When the J&J vaccine was delayed and many cried out about anti-vax conspiracists, I thought that was crazy. I had read the J&J stage 3 trial results. It very clearly showed an increased risk of blood clotting among their 20k vaccinated group vs 20k placebo group. But their conclusion was they couldnt be sure it was the vaccine. We still don't understand what is causing some of these adverse reactions. So was I a little spooked when I got pfizer? Hell yea I was...
No disagreement here; though I'm in a Covid higher-risk group than you, I'm also in a higher-risk group for clotting issues. So I was more than a bit spooked when I took my Modernas.

Within 2 degrees of separation, I have one good friend who felt terrible for the 2 days following his 2nd vaccine, & then I helped get him to the hospital when he definitely developed a blood clot, despite the fact that he was on blood thinners at the time. He's fine now. OTOH I had 1 relative and 2 friends who died of Covid. Officially the statistics on developing clotting problems after vaccination are a handful in a million; I suspect it's really a handful in each 100K. For Covid though, in Arizona where I live, officially 2% of everyone who gets COVID dies (the reality is no doubt lower than that, but I'm in an age group where the official # gets adjusted upwards).

So for me, the choice between a possible bad vaccine reaction (not death, just a bad reaction) compared to the odds of dying if I got Covid is simple: the latter is 3+ orders of magnitude more likely to kill me. Not to mention that taking the vaccine is being a team player, as you correctly put it.
...[To] write [anti-vaxxers] off as...stupid rubes following their stupid politics is just elite snobbery at its worst.
Are you under the impression that you're actually refuting someone in this thread? Or simply feeling the need to blare which team you play for, when you claim to be a "team player"?
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

commadore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:16 pm
Johnmn555 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 pm I don't really feel that badly, because I don't agree with the format that requires a team that loses a game in the opening round to win both a play in game and two straight to get to the finals. I think having to play and win the play in game is punishment enough for losing a game in the first round and that one win after the play in game should get you in the finals.
Why not? I'm saying that Vandy's win over NC should have put it in the finals and eliminated NC. Yes, they both would have had 2-1 records at that point, but the winner in the later round would get the nod.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:55 am
commadore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:16 pm
Why not? I'm saying that Vandy's win over NC should have put it in the finals and eliminated NC. Yes, they both would have had 2-1 records at that point, but the winner in the later round would get the nod.
Pull up a bracket and work through it. Math does not work.
Locked Previous topicNext topic